10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
dapperz fun pub
February 19, 2020, 11:37am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,912
Gold Stars: 82
Is 5 k doable next season ? I think we normally do just under 3k so seems a big ask , but the first time in twenty years if Ollie keeps this momentum going not just results I’m getting one .. anyone else considering
Logged Online
Private Message
Jarmo.Is.God
February 19, 2020, 11:43am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Not had one for 5-6 years, as now have 2 young boys, but if the price is right, i'll be more than happy to jump back on board, so yeah, its do able IMO
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 94
BobbyCummingsTackle
February 19, 2020, 2:00pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,244
Gold Stars: 295
Nope, unrealistic. In the Buckley years we got c 6.5k - 8.5k depending on the opposition. The ground capacity is now 9,027. We haven't sold the ground out for a league game in years (we've come close a couple of times). 5k season tickets would be a huge proportion of our capacity and potential support.

I think that about 8.5k would be our max gate for a league game if we were doing ok in the Championship and not playing a local, big team (Wednesday for example).

If your number of season ticket holders is correct (c.3k) then we've had several games in the last couple of years when pretty much only season ticket holders attended, based on the advertised gate.

That said, Lincoln have 6k or so season ticket holders and that seems an amazing number based on their historical support.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 94
diehardmariner
February 19, 2020, 2:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,522
Gold Stars: 536
The problem is that for so many years we've had this mentality that shifting the same number 2500-3000 is good.  We've seen it as a success if we shifted slightly more than the season before, even if it was 1 ticket.  

We've had countless 'feel good' moments in the last few years but failed to capitalise once on them.  The biggest one was 2016.  We had 12-13,000 at Wembley to watch us in the most enthralling and captivating manner, yet we did nothing to tap into that.  Let's presume that we sold 3,000 season tickets for that season and I'm going to speculate that as the figure of mugs (I include myself in that bracket) who will trudge down to the ticket office every summer and hand over their money for that little stub book.   Taking them out of the equation, we had 9,000-10,000 potential new customers for season tickets.  Potential new customers have just experienced the absolute high of football- whatever you think of the play-offs, it's the best way to win promotion (and also the worst way to miss out).

Had we really built on that over that summer, we may have easily reached 5,000 tickets.  But we didn't.  To the best of my knowledge we didn't even really try.  We did nothing to capitalise on the feel good factor but also nothing different to attract new custom.  We just churned out the same Zebra finance leaflets and that token sheet which basically gives you a free programme and 2-4-1 at the Farmhouse....which already does 2-4-1 anyway.

If we put the same product out, we're always going to get 3,000.  Despite what John Fenty thinks, it's not enough to just do the PR on the pitch.  Don't get me wrong, what's happening on the pitch is exciting and it will help.  But this club needs to approach things differently, in a way that isn't stuck in a timewarp.  

5,000 is achievable.  The club just have to change their mindset beyond accepting something as the norm.

What won't get 5,000 is sending renewal letters out, updating the official site page here and there and then having Steve Wraith do an interview once a month with the Telegraph saying how we've 'smashed' ticket sales but then not giving an actual figure.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 94
ex-merseymariner
February 19, 2020, 2:46pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
THIS.

Quoted from diehardmariner
The problem is that for so many years we've had this mentality that shifting the same number 2500-3000 is good.  We've seen it as a success if we shifted slightly more than the season before, even if it was 1 ticket.  

We've had countless 'feel good' moments in the last few years but failed to capitalise once on them.  The biggest one was 2016.  We had 12-13,000 at Wembley to watch us in the most enthralling and captivating manner, yet we did nothing to tap into that.  Let's presume that we sold 3,000 season tickets for that season and I'm going to speculate that as the figure of mugs (I include myself in that bracket) who will trudge down to the ticket office every summer and hand over their money for that little stub book.   Taking them out of the equation, we had 9,000-10,000 potential new customers for season tickets.  Potential new customers have just experienced the absolute high of football- whatever you think of the play-offs, it's the best way to win promotion (and also the worst way to miss out).

Had we really built on that over that summer, we may have easily reached 5,000 tickets.  But we didn't.  To the best of my knowledge we didn't even really try.  We did nothing to capitalise on the feel good factor but also nothing different to attract new custom.  We just churned out the same Zebra finance leaflets and that token sheet which basically gives you a free programme and 2-4-1 at the Farmhouse....which already does 2-4-1 anyway.

If we put the same product out, we're always going to get 3,000.  Despite what John Fenty thinks, it's not enough to just do the PR on the pitch.  Don't get me wrong, what's happening on the pitch is exciting and it will help.  But this club needs to approach things differently, in a way that isn't stuck in a timewarp.  

5,000 is achievable.  The club just have to change their mindset beyond accepting something as the norm.

What won't get 5,000 is sending renewal letters out, updating the official site page here and there and then having Steve Wraith do an interview once a month with the Telegraph saying how we've 'smashed' ticket sales but then not giving an actual figure.

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 94
pen penfras
February 19, 2020, 2:48pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from diehardmariner

But what would actually motivate people to buy tickets who don't turn up now? In 97/98 we had a lot more people at Wembley and a far more successful season than 2016, but that didn't lead to big ticket sales. Our facilities haven't improved since then, and relative to other teams they're worse. There's little we can do in and around the ground, without a significant cost, that will improve the matchday experience enough to get people to buy tickets. We already have cheap tickets compared to most clubs.

Without a new stadium, I just don't see us getting a significant upturn in support, unless we suddenly become a regularly winning side

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 94
grimsby pete
February 19, 2020, 2:53pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
If Lincoln can go from under 2.000 to 6.000

We can go from 3.000 to over 6.000.

BUT

It will take a promotion to do it so if we don't go up this season 4.000 is a more realistic figure for next season.

Then Ollie will take us up in style and the sold out signs will be out in force .😁

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 94
rancido
February 19, 2020, 2:55pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,566
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from pen penfras

But what would actually motivate people to buy tickets who don't turn up now? In 97/98 we had a lot more people at Wembley and a far more successful season than 2016, but that didn't lead to big ticket sales. Our facilities haven't improved since then, and relative to other teams they're worse. There's little we can do in and around the ground, without a significant cost, that will improve the matchday experience enough to get people to buy tickets. We already have cheap tickets compared to most clubs.

Without a new stadium, I just don't see us getting a significant upturn in support, unless we suddenly become a regularly winning side

This!! in Spades.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 94
supertown
February 19, 2020, 3:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,437
Gold Stars: 53
It is doable if we are in league 1 😃
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 94
lukeo
February 19, 2020, 3:01pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 145
Personally if we win more than we lose between now and the end of the seasson I think we could aim for and sell 4k if IH is the face of the 'operation'
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 94
10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Realistic season ticket target 5k

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.