8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
jimgtfc
November 21, 2017, 10:30pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,092
Gold Stars: 44
That felt like Blundell Park again tonight!

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 73
jamesgtfc
November 21, 2017, 10:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,954
Gold Stars: 190
We all want to see goals and although we have conceded 2, we were right at the back. Their number 30 should never have been given the freedom of the park to pick his spot excellently in the top corner but it was a great finish. Their second moments later was a clanger but the team dug in and Macca kept us in it later on.

Great finish by Matt for the first after some great perseverance from Jones and poor defending from Swindon. We could easily have been out of sight within 25 minutes but for some excellent goalkeeping and it was great to see us actively whipping the ball into the box.

Special mention to DJ who played excellently and also Davies who has looked accomplished at left back these last two games. Great to see Jamey Osborne involved in the winner during his little cameo.

More importantly we have set the barometer now and this has to be the standard going forward.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 73
barralad
November 21, 2017, 10:35pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Thoroughly enjoyable evening. So unlucky to be 2-1 down at half time. Great move for the first goal. An excellent strike for their equaliser (although being picky he had more time than he should have to tee himself up) and then Macca's howler. Still cannot explain it except to say the ball didn't bounce at all.
Fair play to the Town players who kept plugging away for the rest of the first half with the ball spending far more time on the deck than in any other game I've seen this season. Both D.J. and Dembele gave them plenty to think about with the former having easily his best game in a Town shirt.
The second half had it all. Some great passing notably at times from Summerfield. Movement aplenty (We could do a deal with the aliens that have clearly stolen Matt's body) Town players getting to the by-line and into the box and when looking up had a choice of players to pick out. Great finish from Siriki for the equaliser and great work by Osbourne J for the winner (which I thought Rose scored but Tondeur thought Matt got the final touch.)
Swindon looked dangerous going forward but both central defenders put in a shift and Mills gave us added pace at full back. Davies played like a 26 year old and it's hard to see a way back into the side for Dixon at the moment.
Macca atoned for his error with at least one great save and then enjoyed a quick adjustment to the bad luck of the first half when the ball seemed to come back off the post straight into his hands.
Davies MOM with D.J. a very close second.
Only negative was the booing of Vernon in the Pontoon when his name was announced.
Fair play to the (almost) 200 Swindon fans who made themselves heard. It's a long way on a Tuesday night.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 73
ginnywings
November 21, 2017, 10:36pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,107
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from monkeyboy
I thought Matt played very well tonight pretty much up front on his own, he won headers and held it up fairly well at times and was much better than last time i see him.
The 2 wingers played there part too and caused the defense some problems.

Still something missing for us in the middle of the park though, a area that does need some work.

Central defense were good in most part but still think the age and pace is working against us and think Clarke is the week link, the first Swindon goal even though a crackin finish had what seemed an age on the ball without nowone goin near him.
Hard to pick MOM for me, though Matt did well and his finish was class and his link up with Jones at times good, jones did ok but the wingers get it for me but in a large part due to Davies supporting them on the left.

I thought Jones was great. He caused them loads of problems and had more than a hand in 2 of our goals. Best game from him for a while and he did everything bar score.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 73
Zmariner
November 21, 2017, 10:37pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,127
Gold Stars: 44
Out of Town season ticket holder and so listened on the radio. One point behind the Imps, half way up the league. 26 points in 19 games, a couple of good results now and we could be well on the way to safety OK for me. For those who want to change managers be careful what you wish for. I was a staunch Hurst fan and took some stick. We have been poor but I do not think that we will go down nor do I love some of this squad but let's be a little patient, We are not at the bottom and things could be way worse. I am absolutely delighted with this result now let's get behind the team. I know we have struggled but the missed pen against Crawley was tough, the inside of the post against Cambridge.... Slade is experienced at this level and for me still offers us some stability, Changing managers is a nightmare and I would not dream of it half way up the league. Lincoln are patchy as well and they will have spent way more than us. Come 5pm Saturday we could be above them. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 73
gtfc82
November 21, 2017, 10:39pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +616
I thought Summerfield had an excellent game has been improving throughout the season. He was all over the place, frequently mopping up the play and spreading it to the wings!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 73
Grimbiggs
November 21, 2017, 10:40pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
Echo the thoughts already said, great game particularly first 20 min and last 20 mins, when we played the ball on the deck. Just goes to show that we have players who have some ability to play when given the chance. DJ was outstanding tonight, why has it taken him so long to get a start. Great finish for Dembele for the 2nd, and Osbourne first touch was to turn, beat two men and cross the ball for the winner, another player who's been sorely missed. Matt actually throw himself about tonight and despite my misgivings is worth persevering with. Good performances from Davies, Mills and Summer field as well. Despite Maccas howler, he redeemed himself with a great save near the end. Throughly enjoyable game...UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 73
ginnywings
November 21, 2017, 10:43pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,107
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Grimbiggs
Echo the thoughts already said, great game particularly first 20 min and last 20 mins, when we played the ball on the deck. Just goes to show that we have players who have some ability to play when given the chance. DJ was outstanding tonight, why has it taken him so long to get a start. Great finish for Dembele for the 2nd, and Osbourne first touch was to turn, beat two men and cross the ball for the winner another player who's been sorely missed. Matt actually throw himself about tonight and despite my misgivings is worth persevering with. Good performances from Davies, Mills and Summer field as well. Despite Maccas howler, he redeemed himself with a great save near the end. Throughly enjoyable game...UTM

You sure about that?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 73
heppy88
November 21, 2017, 10:43pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
Bloody hell! what an enjoyable game of football. Credit where credits due, from the off each and every player was up for it and even when we went behind heads didn't drop. Hard to name a MOM because they all played so well and even though Macca made a howler he also pulled off a great save in the final minutes. We played some great football to feet. Something just seemed to click tonight and it shows you don’t need a big crowd to generate a good atmosphere. With all the empty season ticket holder seats either side of me I had plenty of space to run up and down when the winning goal went in. You could sense it was like a pressure keg being released when the winning goal went in. A thoroughly deserved win and although I’m still buzzing (and therefore prone to exaggeration) it’s the best game I’ve seen since winning promotion at Wembley. More of the same please
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 73
Grimbiggs
November 21, 2017, 10:51pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
Quoted from ginnywings

You sure about that?

That's how I sure it at the time, if the small details are wrong, feel free to correct me

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 73
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.