November 19, 2017, 12:53pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,450
Gold Stars: 14
My say

So I’ve been a Grimsby Town supporter for all
my life, I’ve been a poster on the Fishy since the days of the original Electronic Fishcake rivals.net days (1999 I believe), I’ve seen this club have great days and sone damned right horrible days. This is my first proper post in a long time but I feel like many of you I need to get this off my chest.

Although I live in exile (a lot further than Gainsborough these days) I still invest a lot of my time into supporting Town although I don’t get back home as much these days. There is no way we can sugar coat or beat around the bush any longer, change at the top is needed and with all due respect to Mr Fenty I just feel this club cannot get to where it aspires to be whilst the current leadership is in place. Those of us who are old enough to remember us playing in the Championship on a regular basis expect us to be aspiring to be that club once more. Before you had the saying “but can you do it on a wet Tuesday night in Stoke” it was “can you do it on a wet Tuesday night on Blundell Park”, this club may have always been a relegation struggler in those days but we gave as good as we got and we wouldn’t care if you’re Sunderland, Forest, Wednesday or Manchester City we were capable of winning and you’d have to be at your best to play us off our own ground.

The biggest issue for this clubs decline is the new stadium issue! I was at secondary school when we announced that we were building the Conoco Stadium and here I am now in my 30’s and we are no closer to building it, in fact we even further away. It’s sickening for me to name clubs who were in a worse position, lower division and in some cases a worse financial state who have built stadiums since we made our initial announcement. - Hull City. Doncaster Rovers, Swansea City, Cardiff City, Colchester United, Chesterfield, Rotherham United and be assured to add Scunthorpe United and maybe Lincoln City to that list in the future. I’m sure the blame doesn’t lay solely at the feet of the board but you’ve gotta wonder why it’s so hard for us to grow us a club? Especially in earlier years.

I’m gonna fast forward to the summer of 2016, we’d been promoted with a fantastic set of players put together by a manager who was often criticised for not getting us back in the Football League sooner. Our fans were famed nationwide for being loyal, passionate and attending away games in their droves. A lot of people including me actually thought we were capable of back to back promotions. Hurst, leaves and Bignot arrives and the board invest money and faith into this up and coming young manager. A few months later he’s abruptly dismissed because we sit in mid-table with Fenty citing that we had an alarmingly large squad of players amongst other reasons. It appears to me that the board just fed Bignot rope to hang himself from Day 1! Who sanctioned these transfers ? If this was a big issue why was he not told to calm it?

So then Russell Slade is lined up to return, a guy who despite taking us to the 2006 Play off Final and beating Spurs in the League Cup was largely unpopular for numerous reasons, one of which being his negative unattractive and sometimes ineffective brand of football. I for one was in the minority and welcomed the return of RS despite said issues, seeing as he had gone on to manage in the Championship and League One since leaving us and having only managed Cardiff very recently then he may come back with a few new tricks and a phone book full of new contacts ! Nevertheless, the football has been worse!

Over the summer I appreciate and understand not every player we look at and attempt to sign ends up coming, the rumblings of Nicky Maynard etc is all great until he chooses to his football elsewhere, so I can appreciate the frustration of the management team when our  main targets go to another club. That being said our recruitment over the summer was negative. Not only did we allow guys like Shaun Pearson and Disley to move on, we chucked contracts at players such as Kelly and JJ Hooper who both looked iffy on and off paper. This kind of recruitment is what got is relegated in the first place. The club has spent so much money paying the wages of the Matthew Heywood’s, Adrian Forbes, Serge Makofo’s and Nick Colgan’s of the world. Hurst had the transfer acumen to go down to buy Non-League players of good standards and that’s where your Liam Hearn’s, Omar Bogle’s and Shaun Pearson’s came from! Slade may not have the knowledge of the part time game but send your scouts out ! Go and watch games ! Why are we wasting money on signing players who look as bad as they are on paper and who haven’t looked remotely sharp even on trial. He did it before with the likes of Clint Marcelle, Terry Barwick, Jermaine Palmer, Tommy Taylor, Glen Downey and Colin Cramb. All given contacts, all were not up to it and soon left.

The club is starting to alienate itself from the fans, the way this Curtis Woodhouse thing was dealt with was embarrassing. Some clubs even release a news section called “In the Papers” with all the latest gossip. Are Manchester United going to release several statements publicly slating a journalist because speculated a former player maybe joining the coaching staff? Is Fenty happy with the atmosphere? is he happy with the falling crowds? Is he happy that the fans feel disconnected ? But more importantly is he happy with the Football that’s on offer ? As a fan base do we expect too much? I don’t think we do. We expect to be challenging, we expect ambition, pride but mainly just common sense! Something that seems to be lacking in this club these days.

Regards
GM

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
lew chaterleys lover
November 19, 2017, 5:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,499
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from Gainsbro_Mariner
My say

So I’ve been a Grimsby Town supporter for all
my life, I’ve been a poster on the Fishy since the days of the original Electronic Fishcake rivals.net days (1999 I believe), I’ve seen this club have great days and sone damned right horrible days. This is my first proper post in a long time but I feel like many of you I need to get this off my chest.

Although I live in exile (a lot further than Gainsborough these days) I still invest a lot of my time into supporting Town although I don’t get back home as much these days. There is no way we can sugar coat or beat around the bush any longer, change at the top is needed and with all due respect to Mr Fenty I just feel this club cannot get to where it aspires to be whilst the current leadership is in place. Those of us who are old enough to remember us playing in the Championship on a regular basis expect us to be aspiring to be that club once more. Before you had the saying “but can you do it on a wet Tuesday night in Stoke” it was “can you do it on a wet Tuesday night on Blundell Park”, this club may have always been a relegation struggler in those days but we gave as good as we got and we wouldn’t care if you’re Sunderland, Forest, Wednesday or Manchester City we were capable of winning and you’d have to be at your best to play us off our own ground.

The biggest issue for this clubs decline is the new stadium issue! I was at secondary school when we announced that we were building the Conoco Stadium and here I am now in my 30’s and we are no closer to building it, in fact we even further away. It’s sickening for me to name clubs who were in a worse position, lower division and in some cases a worse financial state who have built stadiums since we made our initial announcement. - Hull City. Doncaster Rovers, Swansea City, Cardiff City, Colchester United, Chesterfield, Rotherham United and be assured to add Scunthorpe United and maybe Lincoln City to that list in the future. I’m sure the blame doesn’t lay solely at the feet of the board but you’ve gotta wonder why it’s so hard for us to grow us a club? Especially in earlier years.

I’m gonna fast forward to the summer of 2016, we’d been promoted with a fantastic set of players put together by a manager who was often criticised for not getting us back in the Football League sooner. Our fans were famed nationwide for being loyal, passionate and attending away games in their droves. A lot of people including me actually thought we were capable of back to back promotions. Hurst, leaves and Bignot arrives and the board invest money and faith into this up and coming young manager. A few months later he’s abruptly dismissed because we sit in mid-table with Fenty citing that we had an alarmingly large squad of players amongst other reasons. It appears to me that the board just fed Bignot rope to hang himself from Day 1! Who sanctioned these transfers ? If this was a big issue why was he not told to calm it?

So then Russell Slade is lined up to return, a guy who despite taking us to the 2006 Play off Final and beating Spurs in the League Cup was largely unpopular for numerous reasons, one of which being his negative unattractive and sometimes ineffective brand of football. I for one was in the minority and welcomed the return of RS despite said issues, seeing as he had gone on to manage in the Championship and League One since leaving us and having only managed Cardiff very recently then he may come back with a few new tricks and a phone book full of new contacts ! Nevertheless, the football has been worse!

Over the summer I appreciate and understand not every player we look at and attempt to sign ends up coming, the rumblings of Nicky Maynard etc is all great until he chooses to his football elsewhere, so I can appreciate the frustration of the management team when our  main targets go to another club. That being said our recruitment over the summer was negative. Not only did we allow guys like Shaun Pearson and Disley to move on, we chucked contracts at players such as Kelly and JJ Hooper who both looked iffy on and off paper. This kind of recruitment is what got is relegated in the first place. The club has spent so much money paying the wages of the Matthew Heywood’s, Adrian Forbes, Serge Makofo’s and Nick Colgan’s of the world. Hurst had the transfer acumen to go down to buy Non-League players of good standards and that’s where your Liam Hearn’s, Omar Bogle’s and Shaun Pearson’s came from! Slade may not have the knowledge of the part time game but send your scouts out ! Go and watch games ! Why are we wasting money on signing players who look as bad as they are on paper and who haven’t looked remotely sharp even on trial. He did it before with the likes of Clint Marcelle, Terry Barwick, Jermaine Palmer, Tommy Taylor, Glen Downey and Colin Cramb. All given contacts, all were not up to it and soon left.

The club is starting to alienate itself from the fans, the way this Curtis Woodhouse thing was dealt with was embarrassing. Some clubs even release a news section called “In the Papers” with all the latest gossip. Are Manchester United going to release several statements publicly slating a journalist because speculated a former player maybe joining the coaching staff? Is Fenty happy with the atmosphere? is he happy with the falling crowds? Is he happy that the fans feel disconnected ? But more importantly is he happy with the Football that’s on offer ? As a fan base do we expect too much? I don’t think we do. We expect to be challenging, we expect ambition, pride but mainly just common sense! Something that seems to be lacking in this club these days.

Regards
GM

I agree with a lot of that. However, I do think that all managers seem to sign an awful lot of players that aren't up to scratch and in hindsight say why on earth did I do that. On that basis I wouldn't be too harsh on Slade, especially as no doubt most of his first choice targets turned us down for a variety of reasons including financial.

Not everyone loved Paul Hurst but I am still shocked how easily we allowed him to leave. From his comments when he arrived at Shrewsbury it seemed that Fenty had upset him over some promises made. Even when we were on the up Mr. Fenty seems to have turned a winning hand into a losing one. Look at Hurst now - just a matter of time before he gets a much bigger club.

The only managerial appointments I have disagreed with at the time during Fenty's reign have been Graham Rodger and Neil Woods, so I cannot criticise Fenty too much for the others as they seemed reasonable choices including Slade.

The biggest problem as you alluded to in your second paragraph is that we need new owners to breathe fresh life into the club. A new start and some fresh ideas from top to bottom as you say. The same regime in a new stadium fills me with dread as they simply haven't got the expertise needed to run it successfully.

Sadly we are rather stuck with Mr. Fenty though, as it seems to me he saw his initial investment as an opportunity to take charge for as long as he wants. I hope that some consortium could be found that could come to some sort of deal with Mr. Fenty. None of know what the future holds and whether a change would be for the better or not, but we need someone who would galvanise the support base and clearly that is not John Fenty.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 11
MuddyWaters
November 19, 2017, 5:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +46 / -25
Approval: +31,785
Gold Stars: 230

I agree with a lot of that. However, I do think that all managers seem to sign an awful lot of players that aren't up to scratch and in hindsight say why on earth did I do that. On that basis I wouldn't be too harsh on Slade, especially as no doubt most of his first choice targets turned us down for a variety of reasons including financial.

Not everyone loved Paul Hurst but I am still shocked how easily we allowed him to leave. From his comments when he arrived at Shrewsbury it seemed that Fenty had upset him over some promises made. Even when we were on the up Mr. Fenty seems to have turned a winning hand into a losing one. Look at Hurst now - just a matter of time before he gets a much bigger club.

The only managerial appointments I have disagreed with at the time during Fenty's reign have been Graham Rodger and Neil Woods, so I cannot criticise Fenty too much for the others as they seemed reasonable choices including Slade.

The biggest problem as you alluded to in your second paragraph is that we need new owners to breathe fresh life into the club. A new start and some fresh ideas from top to bottom as you say. The same regime in a new stadium fills me with dread as they simply haven't got the expertise needed to run it successfully.

Sadly we are rather stuck with Mr. Fenty though, as it seems to me he saw his initial investment as an opportunity to take charge for as long as he wants. I hope that some consortium could be found that could come to some sort of deal with Mr. Fenty. None of know what the future holds and whether a change would be for the better or not, but we need someone who would galvanise the support base and clearly that is not John Fenty.

This is the bit that worries me. I'll never stop supporting GTFC but the current owner has pushed me to the limit - the point being I know many who don't go because they - in their words - won't support the club as long as Fenty runs it. The fact he does, and the fact that it's clear in the latest accounts that he does. means that the club will always be in a rut and will fail to attract the level of support needed to bring in gates that will sustain a better budget and a new stadium.

GTFC has become a club that needs a community behind it not a megalomaniac intent on self-preservation.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 11
grimsby pete
November 19, 2017, 6:56pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,763
Gold Stars: 221
Another question we should ask is why is it so difficult to get a decent experience manager to apply for a job with us,

The last few managers are either an ex player or ex manager or a non league guy wanting to move up,

The only exception to that was Newell but then again was he successful ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 11
MuddyWaters
November 19, 2017, 7:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete
Another question we should ask is why is it so difficult to get a decent experience manager to apply for a job with us,

The last few managers are either an ex player or ex manager or a non league guy wanting to move up,

There's an obvious answer Pete. Would you want to work for GTFC? Let's face it, when Bignot was appointed, he was 'head & shoulders the best candidate' and didn't last 6 months.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 11
lew chaterleys lover
November 19, 2017, 7:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,499
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from grimsby pete

This is something that has puzzled me too. Bearing in mind there are so few jobs available, and most managers would give their eye teeth to get back into the hot seat, why are we not inundated with good applicants? Of course some will say location, but managers move from one end of the country to another to get a job with regularity; some will say we are unfashionable, so how come other unfashionable clubs get good managers?

Is it the facilities, or lack of them? Is it the salary? Is it the boards reputation?

I would have thought, despite the above, when we do need a new manager there must be a dozen decent applications. What happens to those applications; do we have a thorough vetting and interview process conducted by people who know what they are doing...  ?  
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 11
Cloudy
November 19, 2017, 8:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
When Bignots got the job experienced managers were shortlisted, David Jones who subsequently lasted a few weeks at Hartlepool, Hesenthaller and Mowbray to name a few.
Billy bullshitter blagged the board, the rest is history.

There must be someone out there, even someone starting out who has the strength of character and the total desire to succeed, like Kevin Nolan. Wonder who else fits this bill?

The concept of a Bignot was correct imo but he was a fruit cake and we failed to spot it
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 11
MuddyWaters
November 19, 2017, 8:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Cloudy
When Bignots got the job experienced managers were shortlisted, David Jones who subsequently lasted a few weeks at Hartlepool, Hesenthaller and Mowbray to name a few.
Billy bullshitter blagged the board, the rest is history.

There must be someone out there, even someone starting out who has the strength of character and the total desire to succeed, like Kevin Nolan. Wonder who else fits this bill?

The concept of a Bignot was correct imo but he was a fruit cake and we failed to spot it

It wasn't our job to spot it.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 11
Cloudy
November 19, 2017, 9:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from MuddyWaters

It wasn't our job to spot it.

By we I meant the board
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 11
sonofmadeleymariner
November 19, 2017, 9:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,399
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from Gainsbro_Mariner

He did it before with the likes of Clint Marcelle, Terry Barwick, Jermaine Palmer, Tommy Taylor, Glen Downey and Colin Cramb. All given contacts, all were not up to it and soon left.

God there are some names there I had tried to forget.

I never wanted Slade back I remembered the way he ruined his last spell with poor signings in January which spoiled the cohesion of the side and took us from a top 3 side to just about scraping it in the playoffs, I know Reddys injury didn't help but still. He was a manager on the decline who I was shocked ever made it as high as he did after always failing to deliver, he was just lucky never to be on the backside of a relegation. I didn't think Bignot was given the run he deserved, he was building something and his signings at Christmas were just the first piece and I think in the Summer he would of completed his set or be close to.

Slades signings have been pretty poor and I think I would only like to see 3 of them stay at the club come January and the Summer. Like GM said they're the sort of signings that got us relegated in the first place, players on the down that clubs and fans didn't want and would offer to drive them to their next club themselves. Hurst recruited from what he knew, Bignot recruited from what he knew and Slade recruits from what he knows, shows what he knows.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 11
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › My Opinion

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.