This thread currently has 3,589 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Henryscat
November 19, 2017, 9:20am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,395
In previous seasons the manager(s) have been slated for trying any other formation than 442, we are playing that at the moment and Slade is getting slated for being stuck in the dark ages (and quite rightly so if you ask me)

My question is - with the current squad of players (and Christ knows we've got enough to choose from) what formation would you play as the preferred 442 is clearly not working

Panic on the streets of Carlisle, Dublin, Dundee, Humberside
Logged Offline
Private Message
Madeleymariner
November 19, 2017, 9:27am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +24 / -14
Approval: +2,986
Gold Stars: 49
442 but play it as 442 not 7 2 1
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 22
lukeo
November 19, 2017, 9:41am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.08
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,295
Gold Stars: 133
442. Pace upfront next to Jones. Pace out on BOTH wings. Keep the ball on the deck unless under pressure at the back then hit the flanks over the full backs head, gives the defence a breather and with 2 upfront and 2 pacey wingers it can easily turn into a counter attack. Attacking corners leave 2 small pacey players on the half way line, when defending corners leave at least 1 player up on the half way line ready to attack
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 22
HertsGTFC
November 19, 2017, 10:24am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,555
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from lukeo
442. Pace upfront next to Jones. Pace out on BOTH wings. Keep the ball on the deck unless under pressure at the back then hit the flanks over the full backs head, gives the defence a breather and with 2 upfront and 2 pacey wingers it can easily turn into a counter attack. Attacking corners leave 2 small pacey players on the half way line, when defending corners leave at least 1 player up on the half way line ready to attack

The only real pace we had has now been loaned back to Sutton, try 4-3-3 no Jamey is nearing fitness, he could probably play in either one of the 3's.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 22
Bigdog
November 19, 2017, 10:44am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from lukeo

Right ok. I'm an opposing manager and I've scouted your squad and you play 4-4-2 in the way you say. I'm going to play 5-3-2 /3-5-2. I know your danger men are the wingers but I'm happy enough because I've got two pacy wing backs who are good defenders. The primary object for them is to mark DJ and Dembele out of the game and I've got one extra centre half to cover either the front two or if my wing back gets beaten. I've also got an extra man in centre midfield to cover if the wingers come inside and you only play two in there, so I know I'm going to dominate that area. I'm also going to deploy two quick forwards because your centre halves are slow. When you've got the ball these two forwards are going to mark your full backs and so we'll let you have the ball all day long at centre half. What are you going to do Lukeo?

My point is, unless you have one of the best squads in the league, you cannot set out a standard playing formation and style. You have to be adaptable. We haven't got the standard of players to take every game by the scruff of the neck and dictate, Apart from one or two, man for man we are no better than the opposition and in most cases worse, that is why Slade is so negative. He hasn't got confidence in his players and mainly the ones he has signed himself. We're in a mess due to the standard of player we've got and hamstrung by the mindset of our manager.

To build a squad you have to have in mind what is the playing style identity you want for your whole squad and sign the appropriate players. Guardiola has gone down the pacy footballing route, Mourinho has gone for strength and power, both as effective as one another. Then you look at Burnley and Watford both overachieving in the Premier League. Dyche has gone for the dogged defending nick a goal style of play, Silva has gone for a more expansive system based on power and pace, both equally effective in picking up points with a lesser budget and both dependent on astute player acquisition..

I looked at the signings in the summer and couldn't for the life of me work out what Slade was trying to do. It was like selecting pieces from different jigsaws and trying to piece them together. We are in a pickle and don't really have too much ammunition to sort it out because we've ended up with no better than wasting money on four ineffective forwards instead of signing two, a very mediocre less than powerful central midfield and a slow geriatric defence. Are we a strong and powerful team, are we a pacy team, are we a footballing team? We are none of those and not even a good blend of all three.

What disturbed me in the RS post match interview yesterday was his excuse that we had to make enforced changes. He was making out that he was hard done by with losing Woolford, Dixon and Berrett. Ok, by all accounts Rose wasn't at his best yesterday, it was his first game back for a while, but a manager bemoaning missing those three?

Part of me would like to have a crystal ball and fast forward to the end of the season and sack Slade then after staying up by the skin of his teeth using the players he's got already. I don't want him to spend any more of the club's money as much as I don't want JF to select a new manager. The methodology of the whole club needs sorting out from the very top to the very bottom. Can we put up with another half season of this if we know that by the end of the season a new owner is in place and a new manager? The problem is that I'm not 100% confident that RS can keep us up. My gut feeling, which hasn't changed from the start of the season, is about 19th/20th/21st. By getting rid of him it also begs the question, by going through three managers in a calendar year, what sort of message does that send out to prospective managers and players?

In a fantasy world, I'd like a new owner, a new manager and a fighting fund to make radical wholesale changes to the squad sometime today but in reality it takes a lot longer than that and in our case it may even be, if at all..

Worrying times to be a Mariner..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 22
MuddyWaters
November 19, 2017, 10:49am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +46 / -25
Approval: +31,786
Gold Stars: 230
Would just like to see us try something different. Vernon up top has no goal threat, same with Matt, Hooper doesn't work hard enough without the ball. DJ & Dembele wide with Jones central seems the best option to me, back 4 stays the same and Berrett back in if fit in a 433 maybe??
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 22
ginnywings
November 19, 2017, 10:51am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.06
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,954
Gold Stars: 532
Formations don't win games, footballers do, and we haven't got enough good ones at the moment.

We will stumble and bumble through the season, finish mid table at best, bottom end at worst, and that will be another boring nothing season gone with nothing much happening. Rinse and repeat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 22
Bigdog
November 19, 2017, 10:55am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Would just like to see us try something different. Vernon up top has no goal threat, same with Matt, Hooper doesn't work hard enough without the ball. DJ & Dembele wide with Jones central seems the best option to me, back 4 stays the same and Berrett back in if fit in a 433 maybe??

I think we need to get Jones, DJ, Dembele and Osborne in the starting XI and ditch the three big men OC..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 22
ginnywings
November 19, 2017, 10:59am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.06
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,954
Gold Stars: 532
Don't think it will matter on Tuesday what players or formation we choose. Can only see another defeat as Swindon have a mightily impressive away record, so may as well try something different.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 22
lee65
November 19, 2017, 11:06am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,442
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Bigdog

Right ok. I'm an opposing manager and I've scouted your squad and you play 4-4-2 in the way you say. I'm going to play 5-3-2 /3-5-2. I know your danger men are the wingers but I'm happy enough because I've got two pacy wing backs who are good defenders. The primary object for them is to mark DJ and Dembele out of the game and I've got one extra centre half to cover either the front two or if my wing back gets beaten. I've also got an extra man in centre midfield to cover if the wingers come inside and you only play two in there, so I know I'm going to dominate that area. I'm also going to deploy two quick forwards because your centre halves are slow. When you've got the ball these two forwards are going to mark your full backs and so we'll let you have the ball all day long at centre half. What are you going to do Lukeo?

My point is, unless you have one of the best squads in the league, you cannot set out a standard playing formation and style. You have to be adaptable. We haven't got the standard of players to take every game by the scruff of the neck and dictate, Apart from one or two, man for man we are no better than the opposition and in most cases worse, that is why Slade is so negative. He hasn't got confidence in his players and mainly the ones he has signed himself. We're in a mess due to the standard of player we've got and hamstrung by the mindset of our manager.

To build a squad you have to have in mind what is the playing style identity you want for your whole squad. Guardiola has gone down the pacy footballing route, Mourinho has gone for strength and power, both as effective as one another. Then you look at Burnley and Watford both overachieving in the Premier League. Dyche has gone for the dogged defending nick a goal style of play, Silva has gone for a more expansive system based on power and pace, both equally effective in picking up points with a lesser budget and both dependent on astute player acquisition..

I looked at the signings in the summer and couldn't for the life of me work out what Slade was trying to do. It was like selecting pieces from different jigsaws and trying to piece them together. We are in a pickle and don't really have too much ammunition to sort it out because we've ended up with no better than wasting money on four ineffective forwards instead of signing two, a very mediocre less than powerful central midfield and a slow geriatric defence. Are we a strong and powerful team, are we a pacy team, are we a footballing team? We are none of those and not even a good blend of all three.

What disturbed me in the RS post match interview yesterday was his excuse that we had to make enforced changes. He was making out that he was hard done by with losing Woolford, Dixon and Berrett. Ok, by all accounts Rose wasn't at his best yesterday, it was his first game back for a while, but a manager bemoaning missing those three?

Part of me would like to have a crystal ball and fast forward to the end of the season and sack Slade then after staying up by the skin of his teeth using the players he's got already. I don't want him to spend any more of the club's money as much as I don't want JF to select a new manager. The methodology of the whole club needs sorting out from the very top to the very bottom. Can we put up with another half season of this if we know that by the end of the season a new owner is in place and a new manager? The problem is that I'm not 100% confident that RS can keep us up. My gut feeling is about 19th/20th/21st. By getting rid of him it also begs the question, by going through three managers in a calendar year, what sort of message does that send out to prospective managers and players?

In a fantasy world, I'd like a new owner, a new manager and a fighting fund to make radical wholesale changes to the squad sometime today but in reality it takes a lot longer than that and in our case it may even be, if at all..

Worrying times to be a Mariner..

Very good, but sad post. It got me questioning how many of our team / squad would start in a top 6 team?, Macca on a good day?, Siriki with more support around him?, and maybe Jones?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 22
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 442?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.