Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › So Slade goes.....who’s in?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 230 Guests

So Slade goes.....who’s in?

This thread currently has 15,312 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Grantley
November 20, 2017, 8:58pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
At least there was some excitement under Bignot (amazing one week, appalling the next). Everything about the club is just boring now and I’m getting increasingly fed up. Even at the start of this season I was excited to go to games - now I’m debating whether to even go tomorrow.

I don’t know who I’d bring in. Foreign coaches only seem to work at the higher level (Wagner at Hudds, Farke at Norwich) and it’s a risky business in the lower leagues. Port Vale tried it and failed last season. I also don’t trust Fenty’s knowledge of foreign coaches, or any coaches for that matter.

This talk of Adkins is nice, until you realise that while he did well at Scunny and Southampton, he’s done pretty poorly at Reading and Sheff United since. Another Slade perhaps, though with a bit more early success? FWIW, I would try the National League route again - probably John Askey from Macc who seems to have done an alright job at Macc every season (despite falling away at the end). They don’t have much of a budget and there’s always rumours that he’ll walk away from the chairman.

After that, who knows? All the other teams are southern and part time, except Dean Keates but he’s a bit of a newbie.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 105
GrimRob
November 20, 2017, 9:08pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Dream on, why the fcuk would a manager who has done well abroad come to us?

Money! This is a wealthy country and anyone who makes their name at Grimsby can move onwards and upwards (as PH will testify) to somewhere here where the wages are higher.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 71 - 105
EY Mariner
November 20, 2017, 9:54pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +865
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Grantley

This talk Adkins is nice, until you realise that while he did well at Scunny and Southampton, he’s done pretty poorly at Reading and Sheff United since. Another Slade perhaps, though with a bit more early success? FWIW, I would try the National League route again - probably John Askey from Macc who seems to an alright job at Macc every season (despite falling away at the end). They don’t have much of a budget and there’s always rumours that he’ll walk away from the chairman. .

Decent shout, I'd say.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 105
Abdul19
November 20, 2017, 9:55pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,515
Gold Stars: 215
If we end up in a real relegation battle we need a man with a proven record of keeping GTFC in this division.

[img]http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01504/mike-newell_1504608c.jpg[/img]

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 105
AndyDarloFC
November 20, 2017, 10:24pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +17 / 0
Approval: +1,695
Gold Stars: 33
Take Tommy Wright from us, man has picked up 1 point in 4 games.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 74 - 105
WOZOFGRIMSBY
November 20, 2017, 10:33pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,798
Gold Stars: 178
Grab David Healy from Linfield

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 105
rancido
November 21, 2017, 8:36am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,532
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from EY Mariner

I think that is absolutely spot on. Sadly, however, nothing will change in that respect until and unless parties come forward and give Mr Fenty what he wants to go. If that hasn't been clear before now, then the anti-public relations of the last week or so should have opened people's eyes to the reality.

Turning to the managerial question, I never wanted Russell Slade back in the first place and, even if he has been handicapped by tight budgets and things like that, I don't think anybody can realistically argue that he is getting the best out of the squad he has. If there is to be a change of manager in the near future, then I would prefer us to go for an up and coming manager rather than one who has been on the league merry-go-round. But, if Slade does go, I'm sure there will be many people in football who would feel, as I do, that we'd be getting what we deserve for the shabby way that we treated Marcus Bignot. Whatever misgivings one could legitimately have about his methods, he should have been given longer. The decision to bin him in the manner we did may make it that much harder to recruit the sort of manager we need should a vacancy arise.

If he had budget constraints then why was he allowed to sign 11 new players and take our squad up to 31 players? I don't accept he was restrained by his playing budget, he just wasted it on second rate bench-warmers.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 105
HertsGTFC
November 21, 2017, 9:13am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from Grantley
At least there was some excitement under Bignot (amazing one week, appalling the next). Everything about the club is just boring now and I’m getting increasingly fed up. Even at the start of this season I was excited to go to games - now I’m debating whether to even go tomorrow.

I don’t know who I’d bring in. Foreign coaches only seem to work at the higher level (Wagner at Hudds, Farke at Norwich) and it’s a risky business in the lower leagues. Port Vale tried it and failed last season. I also don’t trust Fenty’s knowledge of foreign coaches, or any coaches for that matter.

This talk of Adkins is nice, until you realise that while he did well at Scunny and Southampton, he’s done pretty poorly at Reading and Sheff United since. Another Slade perhaps, though with a bit more early success? FWIW, I would try the National League route again - probably John Askey from Macc who seems to have done an alright job at Macc every season (despite falling away at the end). They don’t have much of a budget and there’s always rumours that he’ll walk away from the chairman.

After that, who knows? All the other teams are southern and part time, except Dean Keates but he’s a bit of a newbie.

Askey has been at Macc since he was a baby so I doubt you'll tempt him. Re a foreigner don't forget that the fully pro league structure in most countries i not as deep as it is here so someone from say the 4th tier in Germany may not be of a level that would give us a massive improvement on what we could recruit in the UK.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 105
1mickylyons
November 21, 2017, 9:30am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
I really don`t like Slade`s brand of football but he is an experienced Manager who would probably have been considered for any vacant jobs at league 1 or 2 level so this makes me wonder why he came here? If this salary being bandied about is true 138k a year it makes me wonder why we would want to pay that sort of money and what is remit is? Bignot said his remit was to stay in the league but he was sacked when that was pretty nailed on to be mission accomplished.With virtually nil investment since I doubt Slade`s remit will have been to have won the league much more likely consolidate and possibly sneak the play offs? So why him? I think there is a bigger picture probably centred around the new ground and Slade is tasked with keeping us safe til it`s delivered then he will move to an upstairs role and another probably Wilko will get the horns of power? The thing with Slade which is most baffling is this strange choice of strikers none of them fit the mould for the type of football he is trying to play and 3 of them he signed and meanwhile large swathes of the support CBA to watch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 105
HertsGTFC
November 21, 2017, 9:47am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
i think the £138K was a number Golfer plucked out of the air I think, might be wrong

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 105
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › So Slade goes.....who’s in?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.