November 16, 2017, 3:30pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=6500

Gave me a real pause for thought.

Will pause again at a quarter to 4 on Saturday.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
ginnywings
November 16, 2017, 4:11pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Wow! 88 years a supporter is some going.

I thought i'd seen a lot of changes in my 45 year stint, but he has seen us at every level we have played at, and there can't be many who have done that.

RIP.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 6
Mariner Ronnie
November 16, 2017, 4:22pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.81
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Would’ve seen Town at the highest place in their history, was in the thirties I believe. RIP ☹️

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 6
Skrill
November 16, 2017, 4:31pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +6 / -6
Approval: +604
RIP Arthur.

Listening to his podcast, he must have had countless great moments watching Grimsby. Back when Grimsby had the most thriving docks in the world, were playing at the highest level in English football. Amazing. I have only ever really experienced us being in League Two and the conference      

[tweet]316134373063806976[/tweet]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 6
FishOutOfWater
November 17, 2017, 1:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Arthur used to sit very close to where I sit in the upper Pontoon before he had to move down closer to the "action" last year

Whenever we had a chat about the game, he always spoke a lot of sense and I used to enjoy hearing his stories about the old days when he first started watching Town

I always admired his fortitude in still following The Mariners, which went right up until his last days.... he clearly wasn't the kind to throw in the towel or turn his back on the team, no matter what level we played at

It'll be sad tomorrow to acknowledge his passing, but I'll be proud to join in with the applause for this outstanding Town fan

RIP Arthur
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 6
grimsby pete
November 17, 2017, 4:37pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
RIP Arthur a true fan .

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 6
DavidB
November 17, 2017, 9:21pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +192
RIP Arthur, what a stalwart Mariner!

The Cod Almighty article by his grandson is well worth reading - as well as recalling those legendary names from arguably Town's best ever team (in the context of the time), the description of the efforts fans went to so they could support their team (in many ways similar to our superbly committed Away supporters these days) shows just how important GTFC was in people's lives.

Like Arthur, my father (just a couple of years older) and his friends cycled in their teenage years from South Kelsey, Moortown and Holton-le-Moor  to every home game (and I think he might have played cricket at South Kelsey with Arthur or one of his relatives - sadly he's no longer alive for me to check but my mother is searching her 'archives'!).

88 years a Mariner is some commitment, some passion - Arthur fully deserves the commemoration and recognition I'm sure he'll receive at the game tomorrow.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 6
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › RIP Arthur Dawson

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.