2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
zorro_is_a_Mariner
November 16, 2017, 8:49am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +30 / -6
Approval: +1,369
Gold Stars: 4
I know it's a long shot but I have had my blue whistle bike stolen from my grandads shed cost me over 400 pounds and am gutted. Police contacted and all local shops contacted with the bike number which is LY13086222, all over Facebook ECT.

Anyone recommend where else I could plaster it over, I know it's probs been took apart which is so annoying, can't have anything anymore.

Failing that am Gona have to fork out for another anyone recommend some nice bike shops which don't charge the earth. Thank you utm

Gtfc all the way
Logged Offline
Private Message
cmackenzie4
November 16, 2017, 9:35am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Let’s hope you get your bike back Zorro, I’ve had a bike stolen in the past and it’s not very nice (the bike was worth over £2000.00) mine was in a shed too.

Some companies do the cycle to work scheme which maybe worth looking at, you can pick a bike inc equipment up to the value of £1000.00 and you pay it back out of your wages (you get the bike a bit cheaper this way due to paying less tax) I’ve used this scheme twice and never had any problems, failing that Halfords do some decent bikes nowadays mate.

Good luck

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 12
KingstonMariner
November 16, 2017, 3:20pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Not covered by your house contents insurance Zorro?

It's a right pain in the bottom innit? I had one nicked out of my garage - must have had bolt cutters to get through the padlock. Even with the insurance pay I still lost £100 because of the excess.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 12
ginnywings
November 17, 2017, 9:05pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Gutted for you mate. Hate the thieving illegitimates.

Got extra bike cover on my house insurance because my two bikes would cost thousands to replace nowadays. My touring bike has been all over the country and i would be gutted if someone nicked it.

J.C. Cook have a nice big bike warehouse on the Wilton Road estate that is worth a look. They do the cycle scheme and also interest free credit. To be honest, there are loads of bike shops around now as it's so popular. Got my last bike from Woods down St Peters Ave. They have been around a long time. There is also Wilco Motosave in Convamore Road who do a range of bikes as well as car stuff. Bit like a poor mans Halfords.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 12
Grim74
November 17, 2017, 10:05pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Sorry to hear that I'd definitely be trawling around all these 2nd hand bike shops we have now, if you need a bike short term I've got an old mountain bike you could have,  PM me if you want it.

On a separate note I've recently sold my road bike and I'm now looking into buying a touring bike. The thing is I've never been on one before so don't know to much about them, So if anyone has any advice would be appreciated, willing to pay up to a grand but have seen some decent looking ones for around the £450 mark.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 12
ginnywings
November 17, 2017, 10:59pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
I've got an old school touring bike, which is a Raleigh Randonneur. They were a very good bike in their day and i did thousands of miles on it, but i don't know much about modern tourers, so can't offer much in the way of advice. Think mine was top end of £600 30 years ago, so is a good solid piece of kit, The other good one around at the time was the Dawes Galaxy, which i think is still available. These bikes still pop up from time to time on the net if you want to go that route. Whatever you choose, it needs to be solid and withstand all kinds of road conditions if you intend to go out fully loaded with all the pannier bags as i used to. Depends on what type of touring you want to do, but you need a good range of gears (mine has 21) and strong wheels. Drop handlebars, so you have plenty of different riding positions and good solid racks for all your gear.

Sadly,my touring days are done now and i haven't ridden my tourer for a good while, so i envy you. I mostly use my ATB bike around the local area now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 12
Grim74
November 19, 2017, 8:36am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from ginnywings
I've got an old school touring bike, which is a Raleigh Randonneur. They were a very good bike in their day and i did thousands of miles on it, but i don't know much about modern tourers, so can't offer much in the way of advice. Think mine was top end of £600 30 years ago, so is a good solid piece of kit, The other good one around at the time was the Dawes Galaxy, which i think is still available. These bikes still pop up from time to time on the net if you want to go that route. Whatever you choose, it needs to be solid and withstand all kinds of road conditions if you intend to go out fully loaded with all the pannier bags as i used to. Depends on what type of touring you want to do, but you need a good range of gears (mine has 21) and strong wheels. Drop handlebars, so you have plenty of different riding positions and good solid racks for all your gear.

Sadly,my touring days are done now and i haven't ridden my tourer for a good while, so i envy you. I mostly use my ATB bike around the local area now.

Thanks for your advice I'm currently looking at the Dawes galaxy and it seems a decent price for the basic model. I'm just looking at long relaxing days on the saddle really with a few long weekends away to start, if that goes well I'd love to venture further afield maybe around France or Holland.

One of the main issues for me on a road bike as always been comfort, I've done loads of 100m+ rides but always felt beat up afterwards, and I'm yet to find a saddle compatible with my Bony backside, I've read up on these brooks saddles which seem the go to saddle for touring bikes so I'm hoping this will do the job.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 12
zorro_is_a_Mariner
November 19, 2017, 8:58am

Brandy Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Not covered by your house contents insurance Zorro?

It's a right pain in the bottom innit? I had one nicked out of my garage - must have had bolt cutters to get through the padlock. Even with the insurance pay I still lost £100 because of the excess.

I have never had house insurance mate but it's something to look into for me now, we me actually saving (very slowly) for a house in the future. I will be getting my new bike insured as well when I get it.

Gtfc all the way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 12
zorro_is_a_Mariner
November 19, 2017, 9:06am

Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Grim74
Sorry to hear that I'd definitely be trawling around all these 2nd hand bike shops we have now, if you need a bike short term I've got an old mountain bike you could have,  PM me if you want it.

On a separate note I've recently sold my road bike and I'm now looking into buying a touring bike. The thing is I've never been on one before so don't know to much about them, So if anyone has any advice would be appreciated, willing to pay up to a grand but have seen some decent looking ones for around the £450 mark.

Yes I been giving my number to them all and been looking and no luck, it's likely to have been stripped and sold which is very annoying. Thank you for your offer for a bike as well mate am not desperate for one to be honest I just like to ride for leisure with my partner and daughter. But seeing as it's winter it tends to put them of a bit. Am Gona get a bike were I can pay a bit ever month and have it payed and ready by next year.

Gtfc all the way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 12
zorro_is_a_Mariner
November 19, 2017, 9:08am

Brandy Drinker
Thank you all for the advice and offers I do appreciate it.

Gtfc all the way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 12
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stolen bike

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.