headingly_mariner
November 16, 2017, 4:27pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,316
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from jock dock tower
....and that, surely, is where any kind of fan buy out should come from in the first place? Football's an emotional game and asking for such debts to be dropped, to further the cause of the Town would warant a response from the board - hopefully. It would be interesting to see what that would be.

If we are to believe that the people on the board are fans, and have the best interests of the club at heart then perhaps they could make their own impassioned plea as to why they ought to remain in control. Again, it would be very interesting to see such a response. Let's not get too tied up in can we afford it though, it's always the fallback position of those afraid of change for illogiocal reasoning - "can we afford it" or the classic "be careful what you wish for"

One final point to anyone who thinks the present set up is just what the club need, because they are averse to change, why do you think that? Look beyond the horizons as are at the moment and dare to think big. Does anybody think we'll ever get back to holding our own in the Championship under the current set up? If you don't then you must surely want change. Fan ownership has to be the way forward.

I think you're spot on.
I have seen a lot of people suggest that money should be raised to buy people out and pay off loans. That should 100% not be what happens. If the fans were to take the club on it should be on the agreement loans are written off.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 104
TheRealJohnLewis
November 16, 2017, 6:06pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from headingly_mariner

I think you're spot on.
I have seen a lot of people suggest that money should be raised to buy people out and pay off loans. That should 100% not be what happens. If the fans were to take the club on it should be on the agreement loans are written off.  

I'd love to see this happen, but "HE" would not let that happen in million years.

Private Message
Reply: 91 - 104
MuddyWaters
November 16, 2017, 6:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235

I think you're spot on.

100% agree - why should the loans be paid off?
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 104
Bigdog
November 16, 2017, 6:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
If you take into account MP's investment of £500k, £250k by the Trust and another £250k for a renting a seat on the board..

I'd like to see something like the following to happen in the spirit of fairness and a chance for the club to go forward..

Outstanding Loan £2m

Less

£200k written off to match the gifted shares from the Trust
£450k written off as £30k investment for every year JF's been on the board to match the Trust's payments
£500k converted into shares to match MP

Which leaves an outstanding loan to JF of £850k which should be repaid.

It's a more workable amount and seems a more equitable way of matching other investors during JF's tenure..

Otherwise JF's investment will remain at £0 over 15 years if the full £2m loan is to be repaid..

The phrase, "to have one's cake and eat it" springs to mind..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 104
jock dock tower
November 16, 2017, 7:42pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Don't forget as well remarks I made a few months back on the value of all the free publicity had whilst in the role of chair / non chair. It would cost a company a fortune for that kind of exposure over such a prolonged stretch of time.

I also feel that there should be offered a post in the new set up to JF, purely in an advisory capacity, and with something like vice president status for the rest of his natural life as well. This isn't about any kind of revenge, and there is recognition that his money has undoubtedly helped keep the club afloat but we are in different days now. There is a mindset at the club that things have to change periodically at a club if we are to keep apace with the game - managers come and go, the proposed move to the new stadium.....and the need for the dynamic in charge of the club changing. It's all part of the whole process.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 104
headingly_mariner
November 16, 2017, 7:46pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,316
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Bigdog
If you take into account MP's investment of £500k, £250k by the Trust and another £250k for a renting a seat on the board..

I'd like to see something like the following to happen in the spirit of fairness and a chance for the club to go forward..

Outstanding Loan £2m

Less

£200k written off to match the gifted shares from the Trust
£450k written off as £30k investment for every year JF's been on the board to match the Trust's payments
£500k converted into shares to match MP

Which leaves an outstanding loan to JF of £850k which should be repaid.

It's a more workable amount and seems a more equitable way of matching other investors during JF's tenure..

Other than that JF's investment will remain at £0 over 15 years if the full loan is to be repaid..

The phrase, "to have one's cake and eat it" springs to mind..

You think the fans could raise 850 grand to buy the club?  It's ridiculous to see that money leave the club if the fans were to take over. You're basically saying the fans should pay someone nearly a million quid for the 15 years of failure they were in charge for.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 104
MuddyWaters
November 16, 2017, 8:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235

You think the fans could raise 850 grand to buy the club?  It's ridiculous to see that money leave the club if the fans were to take over. You're basically saying the fans should pay someone nearly a million quid for the 15 years of failure they were in charge for.

I can't see many PLCs being in business other than by being 'vanity' funded after 15 years of poor performance.
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 104
Bigdog
November 16, 2017, 8:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162

I said it's a more workable amount. Off the top of my head, 10 year agreement to pay an affordable £50k pa back in loans which leaves £350k as a lump sum to raise could be achievable. You're right in what you say, if the club had been run better we wouldn't have dropped out of the league and received six years of league payments that we missed out on. We probably would have had better fan engagement which results in higher turnover. We could have also gone to the wall without the £2m. We may also have been better off going into administration with someone else running the club the last 15 years like other clubs have done. But we are where we are now, that's the position that needs dealing with. If there's two sides digging their heels in at opposite ends, nothing will ever get sorted for the future benefit of the club. I was only putting my thoughts down of a compromise deal.. doubt it would ever happen but hopefully it opens a debate..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 104
grimsby pete
November 16, 2017, 8:31pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
I would be willing to invest but not to pay off any loans,

I am not super rich ( sadly ) or I would buy the club and give it over to the fans to run it.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 104
lukeo
November 16, 2017, 8:39pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,294
Gold Stars: 134
I'm literally on a thread end with money so I can't just throw or spare any money but I am willing to give time / support In whatever way I can through the Internet (not local) if this is serious and things progress put me down for some admin type volunteering work moving forward
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 104
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › GTFC fan's ownership

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.