This thread currently has 11,952 views. Print
11 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
jock dock tower
November 12, 2017, 9:28pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
I have consistently argued on here about the benefits of fans owning football clubs. There have been some in support of it, but mainly it's about "we can't service the loans etc"

I sense the tide is slowly but surely turning towards fans possibly now being in favour of such a move? The pronouncements from BP about bullying, their backing of the Checkatrade Trophy, little comment on Bragate and numerous other PR gaffes highlight the problems of the kind of control any individual can hold over a club when the views of the fans are not taken into account. I think it's fair to say had the Trust been running the club on behalf of the fans then at the very least there would have been some kind of consultation about all such issues. True, some of the things wouldn't have changed, we'd still be playing in the Checkatrade Trophy, and the EFL would probably have ignored please made by the Trust in terms of Bragate, but at least the fans would be comforted by the fact that THEIR club was speaking out on THEIR behalf.

Fan ownership has to come sometime. If it's good enough for La Liga and the Bundesliga it's time has surely come for Town?

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
FishOutOfWater
November 12, 2017, 10:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from jock dock tower
I have consistently argued on here about the benefits of fans owning football clubs. There have been some in support of it, but mainly it's about "we can't service the loans etc"

I sense the tide is slowly but surely turning towards fans possibly now being in favour of such a move? The pronouncements from BP about bullying, their backing of the Checkatrade Trophy, little comment on Bragate and numerous other PR gaffes highlight the problems of the kind of control any individual can hold over a club when the views of the fans are not taken into account. I think it's fair to say had the Trust been running the club on behalf of the fans then at the very least there would have been some kind of consultation about all such issues. True, some of the things wouldn't have changed, we'd still be playing in the Checkatrade Trophy, and the EFL would probably have ignored please made by the Trust in terms of Bragate, but at least the fans would be comforted by the fact that THEIR club was speaking out on THEIR behalf.

Fan ownership has to come sometime. If it's good enough for La Liga and the Bundesliga it's time has surely come for Town?

I do hope you're not trying to bully us in to accepting this Jock!  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 104
GrimRob
November 12, 2017, 10:18pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
All the people who have every run our club are GTFC fans (or were when they took the job on) to the best of my knowledge. It's not as though we have some foreign owner who doesn't have the club's interests at heart. Even if the Trust owned the club (laudable as the idea is) someone is still going to have to make the decisions, and that will be largely driven by finances rather than emotion, because that person's job is to settle the books.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 104
moosey_club
November 12, 2017, 10:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,192
Gold Stars: 224
All we need is around 2.5m to get the ball rolling then at least another 500k each season to cover losses ....

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 104
TheRealJohnLewis
November 12, 2017, 10:24pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from moosey_club
All we need is around 2.5m to get the ball rolling then at least another 500k each season to cover losses ....

Last 2 years at least (can't be arsed to check further) we've made a profit so where did you get the 500k from?  

Edit over the last 7 years we have on average made a loss of 60k per year.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 104
KingstonMariner
November 12, 2017, 10:25pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from GrimRob
All the people who have every run our club are GTFC fans (or were when they took the job on) to the best of my knowledge. It's not as though we have some foreign owner who doesn't have the club's interests at heart. Even if the Trust owned the club (laudable as the idea is) someone is still going to have to make the decisions, and that will be largely driven by finances rather than emotion, because that person's job is to settle the books.

Yes, and a damn sight more sensible the decisions will be. It won't be one man's ego trip. The board will be accountable.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 104
LH
November 12, 2017, 10:26pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,461
Gold Stars: 172
I don’t think it would be possible for the Trust to own the club outright and that they would need benefactors or a consortium in order to be a success at FL level.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 104
MuddyWaters
November 12, 2017, 10:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from GrimRob

It's alright being a fan and it's alright running a business but the last 15 years are living proof that the two are not mutually compatible in running the club of which you are a fan. By remaining silent on Bra-gate and then parading Steve Wraith as the club's spokesman on Checkatrade, John Fenty has, in the last two weeks, near as dammit stuck two fingers up at the very people who have kept GTFC afloat. I don't know how or why anyone can condone the last couple of weeks, he has displayed utter contempt for everything the fans stand for.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 104
moosey_club
November 12, 2017, 10:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,192
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

Last 2 years at least (can't be arsed to check further) we've made a profit so where did you get the 500k from?  

Rising attendances....Wembley play off final ....selling Bogle....do you see any of those scenarios coming up this season ?  Without those "football fortunes" we lose money.  JF and the directors cover those losses when they occur...as a fan owned entity we would have to cover those losses.
Having a whip round at the end of the season when the tax man wants paying isnt going to get us very far.  

Wonderful idea in theory...wholly impracticable and un workable for a League team IMO.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 104
GrimRob
November 12, 2017, 10:49pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from MuddyWaters

It's alright being a fan and it's alright running a business but the last 15 years are living proof that the two are not mutually compatible in running the club of which you are a fan. By remaining silent on Bra-gate and then parading Steve Wraith as the club's spokesman on Checkatrade, John Fenty has, in the last two weeks, near as dammit stuck two fingers up at the very people who have kept GTFC afloat. I don't know how or why anyone can condone the last couple of weeks, he has displayed utter contempt for everything the fans stand for.

OK that's one instance of a person running the club. Numerous other people have run the club such as Huxford, Ramsden, Carr etc. There may have been bra-gate like incidents with the others, if there have I can't recall them.

Most football clubs are run by rich individuals. Most people (even on here) want to replace one rich fan such as JF with another rich man like (for the sake of argument) Ross rather than commnal ownership. I think fan ownership, like communism, sounds great on paper, but runs up against the problem of putting someone in charge who then becomes the decision maker (a de facto chairman).

Remember Ebbsfleet's great egalitarian scheme for collective ownership? It collapsed and they are now owned by a rich Kuwaiti!

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 104
11 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › GTFC fan's ownership

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.