Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Russ post match...
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 186 Guests

Russ post match...

This thread currently has 7,478 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Madeleymariner
November 11, 2017, 6:35pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,047
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from ginnywings
What's the point of a new manager? The board get it wrong 90% of the time anyway and we are stuck with godawful players in the main. It will just be different manager, same shite.

May as well put the names of all the managers we could realistically hope to attract into a hat and let a random fan pick one out. The chances of success would be about the same.

Managers do make a difference look at Hurst at Shrews and Port Fail since Aspin took charge
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 52
RichMariner
November 11, 2017, 6:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,142
Gold Stars: 209
Yep, I'm not someone who usually demands we sack a manager because, like ginnywigs says, history shows we're more than likely to appoint another manager who'll ultimately fall short.

Sackings very rarely work.

But what does work is looking a little further than just the manager. Have we got a strong and sustainable infrastructure? What's our youth set-up like? What's our policy in bringing them through?

Then, if we need a new manager, we get one that's suitable for our situation.

I hate raking over old ground but MB was the right sort of appointment at the time. He built Solihull and Birmingham Ladies from nothing. He had ideas, ambitions and potential.

He did, of course, have flaws - and I don't think the way he flooded our squad with loads of new signings and upset everyone helped in the short term - but he was young and he was looking to build something here too.

Slade isn't a manager who's thinking of tomorrow. He's only thinking today, this season. Look at his track record - no promotions. Decent at keeping teams up, granted. That, to me, says survival and nothing beyond.

What we need is a young, up-and-coming manager who already has a promotion or two on his CV at a lower level who can see what we've got and work with it.

We got it half right with MB. I think he went into it like a bull in a china shop. A bit more patience from someone else looking to prove himself as a FL manager, and who knows which talent to bring up through the leagues with him, is the best way to go.

But for now we have Slade. In terms of records, Bignot was sacked for less (Slade has a worse points-per-game record) so it'll be interesting to see how Fenty plays it if we continue struggling for goals and finish 19th.,

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 11 - 52
ginnywings
November 11, 2017, 6:41pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Madeleymariner

Managers do make a difference look at Hurst at Shrews and Port Fail since Aspin took charge

Agreed, but we keep picking the wrong one time and again. Who on our board has any footballing knowledge to speak of?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 52
grimsby pete
November 11, 2017, 6:42pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
I have no confidence in Fenty finding the right man for the job.

So it makes no difference if Slade stays or goes.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 52
Mrs Doyle
November 11, 2017, 7:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Don't know what was worse Bigclots team getting hamered playing lop sided systems or Slades lingering death driving fans away through bordom.

Coventry fans did warn us if any where needed. Someone once said defence starts from the front Slade seems to have taken that as gospel but forgot about everyting else.

Seen him from behind the dugout screaming at our attackers to hold it in the corner late on even when we are drawing.

His definition of attack is something you use to hold the carpet in place.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 52
moosey_club
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,201
Gold Stars: 224
oh and the other little nugget when asked for positives to take...

"i thought Summers was again steady"

sorry....saying you thought the naturally more attacking of the centre mid duo having "a steady" game is a positive is shameful.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 52
TAGG

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,962
Gold Stars: 124
Slade must go and take Wilko with him.
He should have never been re employed.
Ive been angry about loads of Fentys decisions but never so more than when he brought that clown back and insisted on bringing another dinosaur in Wilko just to appease some fans.

Fenty just intercourse off before you kill our club.
If you were a true fan like you say you would go for the good of the club you say you love.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 52
HertsGTFC
November 11, 2017, 7:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,880
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from RichMariner
Yep, I'm not someone who usually demands we sack a manager because, like ginnywigs says, history shows we're more than likely to appoint another manager who'll ultimately fall short.

Sackings very rarely work.

But what does work is looking a little further than just the manager. Have we got a strong and sustainable infrastructure? What's our youth set-up like? What's our policy in bringing them through?

Then, if we need a new manager, we get one that's suitable for our situation.

I hate raking over old ground but MB was the right sort of appointment at the time. He built Solihull and Birmingham Ladies from nothing. He had ideas, ambitions and potential.

He did, of course, have flaws - and I don't think the way he flooded our squad with loads of new signings and upset everyone helped in the short term - but he was young and he was looking to build something here too.

Slade isn't a manager who's thinking of tomorrow. He's only thinking today, this season. Look at his track record - no promotions. Decent at keeping teams up, granted. That, to me, says survival and nothing beyond.

What we need is a young, up-and-coming manager who already has a promotion or two on his CV at a lower level who can see what we've got and work with it.

We got it half right with MB. I think he went into it like a bull in a china shop. A bit more patience from someone else looking to prove himself as a FL manager, and who knows which talent to bring up through the leagues with him, is the best way to go.

But for now we have Slade. In terms of records, Bignot was sacked for less (Slade has a worse points-per-game record) so it'll be interesting to see how Fenty plays it if we continue struggling for goals and finish 19th.,

MB was the right "sort" of appointment but just the wrong man, yes he did well at a much lower level than league 2 but only had 3 months experience in the NL never mind the EFL so for me that debacle sits clearly with JF.

We had a "up and coming manager" with 2 promotions on his CV when he arrived and one more on there when he left, problem was that JF and many fans didn't value & appreciate what we actually had.

Slade does have one thing in common with MB and that is they get an easy time from JT in interviews, talk a lot but actually says nothing.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 52
Meza
November 11, 2017, 7:25pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,631
Gold Stars: 50
There isn't really anyone unless you go lower than national league.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 52
HertsGTFC
November 11, 2017, 7:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,880
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from Meza
There isn't really anyone unless you go lower than national league.

Or a coach/assistant manager from the EFL

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 52
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Russ post match...

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.