Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Slade Out (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 134 Guests

Slade Out (merged)

This thread currently has 12,155 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Jarmo.Is.God
November 13, 2017, 1:18pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from friskneymariner
Yeah where are the happy clappers now,lets hear your views.

I was one of them.

I was happy with the appointment, i knew the football wasn't great, but its a results business and i was happy with what could be about to happen...

Wilko come back, and it seemed good, and seemed a positive move

it also started ok at the end of the season.

However the transfers have been below average, and the football has been painfully bad.

We have gone 5 games without a goal from open play, just the penalty against a youth side...

We have won 2 in 12
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 73
horsforthmariner
November 13, 2017, 1:31pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,598
Gold Stars: 9
There is no way Fenty is going to get rid of Slade this season. I've heard that it was always a two season plan - get rid of the bignot dross, sort out the club off the field, save as much cash to invest next season.

If thats the case (and I suspect it is) we've got a boring season ahead. I personally groaned when he was appointed. I hate his style of football and goes against everything that Buckley had us playing when I first watched town. Frankly, I hate the way we play. But if it gets us promoted next season then it's a compromise most fans will accept.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 73
Tommy
November 13, 2017, 1:54pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from horsforthmariner
There is no way Fenty is going to get rid of Slade this season. I've heard that it was always a two season plan - get rid of the bignot dross, sort out the club off the field, save as much cash to invest next season.

If thats the case (and I suspect it is) we've got a boring season ahead. I personally groaned when he was appointed. I hate his style of football and goes against everything that Buckley had us playing when I first watched town. Frankly, I hate the way we play. But if it gets us promoted next season then it's a compromise most fans will accept.

"sort out the Bignot dross."

How many of our squad are actually Bignot's signings? FOUR. And two of those (Jones and J.Osbourne) are seen as two of our better players. (Clements and Asante being the other two).

Most of the "dross" you say needs sorting, although I wouldn't use such a strong word myself, is from Hurst and Slade signings. In fact so far, I'd argue Bignot's recruitment in general was better than Slade's (so far).

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 73
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 13, 2017, 2:33pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I can’t see much sense in sacking Slade when there is no-one else any better around and the playing budget is so limited. That’s not to say the football is good or the results not disappointing but I would guess both would be a lot better if Slade had been able to recruit his targets. The past is the past is the past though. We can’t keep living in it.

I am not in the least surprised we are not scoring goals. Jones isn’t a genuine striker and Vernon plays like the poor man’s LJL. We is stuck at the minute, isn’t we? I would like to see Jones and Osborne in midfield and 2 strikers up front with Dembele even if we sacrificed a little width. It may not solve everything but I can’t see much benefit in changing managers just now even if JF was minded to, which I doubt.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 73
horsforthmariner
November 13, 2017, 2:39pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,598
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Tommy

"sort out the Bignot dross."

How many of our squad are actually Bignot's signings? FOUR. And two of those (Jones and J.Osbourne) are seen as two of our better players. (Clements and Asante being the other two).

Most of the "dross" you say needs sorting, although I wouldn't use such a strong word myself, is from Hurst and Slade signings. In fact so far, I'd argue Bignot's recruitment in general was better than Slade's (so far).

The dross comment was not what I said, that was what quoted to me.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 73
lew chaterleys lover
November 13, 2017, 2:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,694
Gold Stars: 236
I can’t see much sense in sacking Slade when there is no-one else any better around and the playing budget is so limited. That’s not to say the football is good or the results not disappointing but I would guess both would be a lot better if Slade had been able to recruit his targets. The past is the past is the past though. We can’t keep living in it.

I am not in the least surprised we are not scoring goals. Jones isn’t a genuine striker and Vernon plays like the poor man’s LJL. We is stuck at the minute, isn’t we? I would like to see Jones and Osborne in midfield and 2 strikers up front with Dembele even if we sacrificed a little width. It may not solve everything but I can’t see much benefit in changing managers just now even if JF was minded to, which I doubt.

The best scenario all round would be for Fenty to sack himself.

I agree about the attacking options - to think Vernon is our first choice centre forward is a shocker. Jones came to us as an attacking midfield player didn't he?  We have better formations for the players we have got - but will he change things around?
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 73
MarinerMal
November 13, 2017, 3:17pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +784
Gold Stars: 17
I don't want to say I told you so but...

Posted April 12th in th Russell Slade thread (is it against Fishy protocol to quote yourself?  )...

Quoted from MarinerMal
I think this appointment is a mistake.

Since the Bristol Rovers play-off final defeat I think the board and fans all seem to be pulling together. There has been such positivity around the club which we haven't seen for many years. With promotion this only increased.

It may have waned a little this year as we achieved our initial objective of safety relatively quickly and only ever really flirted with the edge of the play-offs.

However, I can't imagine a more divisive appointment than that of Russell Slade. He left us, not for a bigger club but for Yoevil. He made that play-off final all about him in the build up, with the speculation surrounding his future. The football his team produced was dire (not just in that final but general style of play), anyone remembering anything else are deluding themselves.

This is a very backward appointment but typical of Fenty's managerial appointments, he's just not very good at them. In football, nobody ever knows for sure but in my mind you have made one huge mistake here, John.

I've never been one to call for a manager's head but I won't be sad if I read tomorrow that he's gone.

I fear the only way Fenty would get shot of him now is if we started to drift towards the relegation zone but I don't see that happening. We are still difficult to beat but don't score many. That will keep us in and around mid table, but my god, is the football boring. A season in Limbo.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 73
friskneymariner
November 13, 2017, 3:22pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
To think Vernon has been our first choice striker for two seasons is more shocking.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 73
RichMariner
November 13, 2017, 4:03pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,131
Gold Stars: 209
All I want is for everyone - managers and players alike - to look at Grimsby Town and say, 'Yes, this is a brilliant opportunity.'

At the moment, the manager and most of the players look at this club and just see a pay cheque. There's no desire to improve (or even prove) themselves. They're just going through the motions, plodding along, probably about to retire anyway.

I just don't see what RS is trying to build. We're not wildly inconsistent and staring relegation in the face, no, but we shouldn't be.

We should be recruiting players like Osborne, Sam Jones, Asante, players looking to prove themselves in league football. Not every signing will work but that sort of recruitment policy has got to be better for the future of this club than Slade's right now.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 68 - 73
golfer
November 13, 2017, 4:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,420
Gold Stars: 115
How can we afford to sack Slade And Wilko--we would have to ask for another Benign Loan to pay them off
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 73
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Slade Out (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.