Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Slade Out (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 194 Guests

Slade Out (merged)

This thread currently has 12,144 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
MarinersOnTheUp
November 13, 2017, 10:32am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +22 / -2
Approval: +484
For me slade has to go, as does fenty. His appointment was dodgy in my opinion so if one goes, the other has too.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 73
IlkleyMariner
November 13, 2017, 10:34am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +2,978
Gold Stars: 69
It may be a 4 year contract, but would be surprised if it was rolling.
Usually, if a manager gets fired, they would receive a maximum of one year payoff whatever the term-its called negotiation.

Don't know whether £138k a year is the going rate or not, but makes a change from being accused as "Penny Pinching". Can't please some folk!

Lets just hope we start to see some positive play on the pitch, but don't expect to until we get some more points on the table.

Think what Russ is doing re getting younger players for the longer term is good. Also he is clearing up some of the mistakes on signings made by his two predecessors. Admittedly, some of his own signings are uninspiring, but give him a chance in the January window. Plus with Osborne and Asante back we might just see more entertaining footy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 73
chaos33
November 13, 2017, 11:06am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,863
Gold Stars: 353
What makes me sad is that the club have killed the resurgence in interest and excitement that wembley and promotion rekindled. They are making such a mess of things, it's a crying shame.

I'm not saying Slade out, but things have got  to change, and immediately if the club are to stop people turning their backs and walking away.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 73
Garth
November 13, 2017, 11:13am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from golfer
4 years---£138K------I fkng hope not

It will take another benign loan to pay him off I guess, still we are used to them now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 73
Cloudy
November 13, 2017, 11:21am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from chaos33
What makes me sad is that the club have killed the resurgence in interest and excitement that wembley and promotion rekindled. They are making such a mess of things, it's a crying shame.

I'm not saying Slade out, but things have got  to change, and immediately if the club are to stop people turning their backs and walking away.

Totally agree
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 73
RichMariner
November 13, 2017, 11:27am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,135
Gold Stars: 209
I'm slightly concerned about our long-term future. I look at York, and remember how well they played to get out of non-league, and then they made a string of bad decisions while in League 2 and, well, look at them now.

It's vital that when you finally get yourself out of non-league you learn from the mistakes that put you there.

I thought we were learning. Continuity in the dugout, continuity on the pitch, great off-field things going on (sticker book etc), a thriving Trust, OP, and a feel-good factor that all helped get us promoted.

Right now, I don't think we've learned a single thing. Same man at the top making the same decisions/mistakes... we're only going to go one way unless something changes.

The fact that all that togetherness and momentum we had from getting promoted has been smashed to bits upsets me greatly.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 55 - 73
1mickylyons
November 13, 2017, 11:51am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from RichMariner
I'm slightly concerned about our long-term future. I look at York, and remember how well they played to get out of non-league, and then they made a string of bad decisions while in League 2 and, well, look at them now.

It's vital that when you finally get yourself out of non-league you learn from the mistakes that put you there.

I thought we were learning. Continuity in the dugout, continuity on the pitch, great off-field things going on (sticker book etc), a thriving Trust, OP, and a feel-good factor that all helped get us promoted.

Right now, I don't think we've learned a single thing. Same man at the top making the same decisions/mistakes... we're only going to go one way unless something changes.

The fact that all that togetherness and momentum we had from getting promoted has been smashed to bits upsets me greatly.

That feeling is pretty unanimous and the fact Lincoln who were miles behind in terms of organisation and support off the field have made it look so simple to carry on the momentum just rams it home.The only thing they had in there favour over us was a slightly bigger home capacity possibly slightly better matchday facilities.The Imps turnover on matchdays at SB must be roughly double ours then x 23 it`s criminal what`s been allowed to happen at Grimsby and sadly no lessons from 98 were learned.We need a massive change of direction off the pitch or we need to accept were probably going to yo-yo between league 2 and non league for the foreseeable future.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 73
rancido
November 13, 2017, 12:29pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,531
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Marinerz93

Fair point but the budget does matter because he may not have been able to sign six or seven quality players if all due to budget so has gone for players on trial and budget basement BOGOF that no one else wanted.

I think you have missed the point or maybe I haven't phrased it correctly. If he had , for example, £440,000 budget on wages available for new players ( I think I read somewhere that the average wage in League 2 is 40k a year) then instead of signing 11 average players he could have signed 6 quality players on 73k. If these kind of players weren't available at the time then why just sign make weights for the sake of it? It's just a waste of a playing budget. If he needed cover then why not put some faith in in the youngsters coming through. Instead he brought in bench warmers and some not even doing that.
If he is supposed to be building for the future then why have a regular back four consisting of three players whose total age is in excess of 100yrs and a left back who is a liability. If we don't get promoted this season ( which on current performances is highly unlikely ) then he is going to have to replace at least two of the geriatrics at the back and then we start the defensive re-building process again with the possibility of another season without a promotion. Unfortunately JF will not get rid of Slade, unless we really nosedive down the league, because it would be an admission that he got it completely wrong in getting rid of MB prematurely. I know MB seemed a bit of a maverick and certainly some of his team selections were baffling but at least he should have been given a summer close season to strengthen the squad to how he wanted it to look and then maybe some of his decisions may have made more sense. I'll stick my neck out here and predict that MB will achieve a promotion before Slade does. OK so he is managing at a lower level than us but didn't Slade manage at that level with Scarborough and didn't get them promoted?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 73
1mickylyons
November 13, 2017, 12:58pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from rancido

I think you have missed the point or maybe I haven't phrased it correctly. If he had , for example, £440,000 budget on wages available for new players ( I think I read somewhere that the average wage in League 2 is 40k a year) then instead of signing 11 average players he could have signed 6 quality players on 73k. If these kind of players weren't available at the time then why just sign make weights for the sake of it? It's just a waste of a playing budget. If he needed cover then why not put some faith in in the youngsters coming through. Instead he brought in bench warmers and some not even doing that.
If he is supposed to be building for the future then why have a regular back four consisting of three players whose total age is in excess of 100yrs and a left back who is a liability. If we don't get promoted this season ( which on current performances is highly unlikely ) then he is going to have to replace at least two of the geriatrics at the back and then we start the defensive re-building process again with the possibility of another season without a promotion. Unfortunately JF will not get rid of Slade, unless we really nosedive down the league, because it would be an admission that he got it completely wrong in getting rid of MB prematurely. I know MB seemed a bit of a maverick and certainly some of his team selections were baffling but at least he should have been given a summer close season to strengthen the squad to how he wanted it to look and then maybe some of his decisions may have made more sense. I'll stick my neck out here and predict that MB will achieve a promotion before Slade does. OK so he is managing at a lower level than us but didn't Slade manage at that level with Scarborough and didn't get them promoted?

MB might see a relegation before RS also.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 73
acko338
November 13, 2017, 1:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,225
Gold Stars: 33
1. TOWN SHOULD HAVE FOUND THE MONEY TO SIGN THE COWLEY BROTHERS AS PROGRESSIVE MANAGERS.

2. IT'S ALL IN THE WORD - FOOTBALL - NOT HEADBALL OR WATCH THE BALL !!

3. "IT'S JUST ANOTHER EXCUSE MONDAY" - BANGLES REMAKE !!

4. 4-4-2 AT HOME.... SURELY WE NEED TO BE THE ATTACKING AGGRESSORS ON OUR OWN PATCH ????

5. EVERYONE SEEMS TO HAVE SUSSED DIXON'S LACK OF PACE - PRIORITY FOR JANUARY ! (DIDN'T MAX WRIGHT SIT IN THAT POSITION DURING PRE-SEASON AS A TRIAL

6. STOP ME FROM BEING SO ANGRY.... OR I STAY ON CAPS LOCK ..!!!!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 73
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Slade Out (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.