Ipswin
November 11, 2017, 9:42am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Matt was before my time but it's sad to see anyone suffering from dementia, must also be very challenging for their close relatives. I certainly wish him and his wife well.

BTW, the 7 - 1 versus Scunny was Clemence in goal that night?    

He certainly was - Hill 3, Green 3 and the great Sir Matt got the other. My best memory is his hat-trick v the Scunts in the 4-1 win in the first game of the 1971/2 season. Scunts at home first up and we stuffed 'em - just knew it was going to be a great season. Matt got both goals when we beat them away too!

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 75
HertsGTFC
November 11, 2017, 9:51am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Ipswin

He certainly was - Hill 3, Green 3 and the great Sir Matt got the other. My best memory is his hat-trick v the Scunts in the 4-1 win in the first game of the 1971/2 season. Scunts at home first up and we stuffed 'em - just knew it was going to be a great season. Matt got both goals when we beat them away too!

Superb, I doubt there are many times when 2 Town players have scores hat tricks in the same game, then again Hannah at Alferton, Podge a couple & Omar versus "them" apart not sure how many Town players have scored hat tricks in the last decade,

Thought the Trust making contact with Matt's family was a good idea.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 75
friskneymariner
November 11, 2017, 11:15am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
How about commissioning a painting of Matt at his best,I am sure it would bring him some pleasure.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 75
Mariner Ronnie
November 11, 2017, 11:25am

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Couldn’t find a video of it. Found this though, Nobby Stiles fallen victim too. ☹️

https://twitter.com/bbcsport/status/928865084079710208

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 75
mariner91
November 11, 2017, 11:51am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,606
Gold Stars: 260
Matt was way before my time but I have heard of him, as I'm sure just about every Town fan has. It's really heartbreaking to see the difficulties that former players and their families have to contend with daily from this often overlooked disease. It's particularly sad because the game probably at least accelerated their decline yet back in the day these players were getting normal wages, they don't have the money available for the expensive care they now need. It would be terrific if the English game, awash with billions of pounds, could find some money to help those who gave so much joy to supporters who love football and now find themselves needing a helping hand. Sadly, I doubt this will happen. Hopefully Shearer's documentary tomorrow will highlight the need that these families have and raise awareness. Maybe then people will start asking en masse why the FA isn't doing more to help them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 75
TheGoalKipper
November 11, 2017, 2:06pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +321
Quoted from Ipswin

I remember that game. What a match for a Town supporter. I never saw anyone in the air like him - and he wasn't tall either. Seemed like he was suspended in the air. The game that i remember most of those days from that time was when we got a home tie against Wolves with the great Andy Gray playing for them. I don't remember the score but we won and i can still see Matt scoring that header for us.What an atmosphere at that game  

Dementure and all those dieases which take your memory away scare me most of all. I keep on fogetting my own kids names at times and while everyone has a laugh about it you can't help worrying that it could be you in the early stages. This is the downside to us all living longer. Before we would be dead before this struck us.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 75
Reverendmariner
November 11, 2017, 3:48pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +275
I'm so very sorry to read this; Matt was my first childhood hero. Strangely at a church "collector's fayre" last Saturday I was delighted to find a booklet entitled "Matt Tees on Football", for which I paid £1. It's a really fascinating read with so many stories of the old days. He's suffered a lot as a result of being a professional footballer; not only possibly this awful cruel illness now, but also two replacement hips and fusion operations on both ankles.

We were a Fourth Division club in those days, and a "Fourth Division" club now. Perhaps it is just childhood memories that make me think that players such as Matt, Stuart Brace, Harry Wainman and  Dave Boylen were much better footballers than our present team.  I wonder how many of our current squad will be seen as "legends" or past heroes. It doesn't help that the majority seem to be on short contracts.

I hope sincerely that the club will ensure that Sir Matt receives the best possible care.They owe him that, in my view.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 75
Mrs Doyle
November 11, 2017, 4:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Got the great man to sign his book when he launched it. A nicer man you could not wish to find.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 75
Teestogreen
November 11, 2017, 5:16pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 22
Me and my dad were disappointed when Town sold Sir Matt.

We went to Hull to see them play Charlton and - yes - Sir Matt scored with a header - (remember this was on ITV telly on the Sunday afternoon as well).

All of the previous posts - couldn't say it better.

When I think about it - I just loved heading a ball (with a plastic football though) and watching Matt Tees was the reason why - the image of him leaping for the ball in the oppositions penalty area stays .

Also, I do remember receiving a proper leather football (with laces and a bladder) around the mid to late sixties, and I think this would have been the type of football used for league football matches then. When these got very wet, they absorbed the water and became very heavy. This football you could hardly kick - let alone head it.

All the best to Sir Matt.

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 75
Teesknees
November 13, 2017, 9:18am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,596
Gold Stars: 18
Just been on the Charlton Life forum and their many comments reflect our own.. this is an example..

Err excuse me it's SIR Matt Tees please. The best header of the ball our club has ever had. If the goal he scored against Cardiff Easter Friday 1968 was on film you'd all agree. They should name some part of the ground after him, the man was a genius.

After watching the Shearer programme last night it would be great if both clubs fans could not get together and help Matt and his family ... financial or otherwise... to try and  give them some support for all the great memories that he's given us over his career... Don't know how that would work... through the Trust? But if something could be done just to help them in some small way then count me in!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 75
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Matt Tees

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.