8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Perkins
November 10, 2017, 2:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
Unfortunately not the only Town player to have suffered from Dementia with possible links to football, George McClean, Graham Rathbone, Don Donovan, Ron Cockerill.
So sad.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 75
grimsby pete
November 10, 2017, 3:07pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,780
Gold Stars: 222
It said in that clip Les that Matt Tees is 6ft 4in, that is wrong,

He was not even 6 ft but he could out jump a defender that was 6ft 4in  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 75
Maringer
November 10, 2017, 3:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
Tees was before my time, but you just have to hope that the modern lightweight balls which don't become so heavy and waterlogged will mean that modern day and more recent professionals won't suffer these illnesses in the same way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 75
grimsby pete
November 10, 2017, 3:15pm

Exile
Quoted from Maringer
Tees was before my time, but you just have to hope that the modern lightweight balls which don't become so heavy and waterlogged will mean that modern day and more recent professionals won't suffer these illnesses in the same way.

The old leather ball were bloody awful to head when wet and muddy,

No wonder I have lost half of my brain cells.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 75
tarka
November 10, 2017, 3:23pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +890
Gold Stars: 29
I am so sad to hear this - Matt was one of my first great heroes. As Pete says he wasn't very tall but could climb above giant centre halves. I had the pleasure of meeting him a few years ago and he seemed a quiet, pleasant and modest man. I hope he and Mrs Tees receive the support and care they require at this awful time.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 14 - 75
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 10, 2017, 4:14pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Matt was part of my growing up years. I was there when he made his home debut after being signed from Airdrie and saw most of his greatest games in the 60s and 70s. My tutorial folder at uni was emblazoned with a “Matt Tees For King” logo and of course no-one had any idea who he was.  

I was heartbroken when Matt and Rod Green and Charlie Wright, Matt’s brother-in-law, left for Charlton. I was elated by the Second Coming of the Messiah when Bobby Kennedy re-signed him. A few years later I met Matt in person when he was helping out for Geoff Bartholomew at Discoveries where his lads were playing. His sporting attitude was a big contrast to some of the other “expert coach” parents.

He is a great bloke and was a marvellous player. I don’t know if dementia is football related, the only ones in my family to suffer were female. His condition must be devastating for the family. They will be suffering at least as much as Matt.  The only consolation I realised from my family is that when someone has dementia they don’t really know too much about it and that is the greatest blessing.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 75
Chips44
November 10, 2017, 4:22pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +127
Some years ago , my Auntie was in Grimsby Hospital with problems caused by dementia.  
Whilst visiting I noticed a powerfully built man who was obviously a fellow sufferer ,
I was told it was Alec "Ginger" Hall.  One of Town's greatest ever!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 75
Badger57
November 10, 2017, 4:26pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,893
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from grimsby pete

The old leather ball were bloody awful to head when wet and muddy,

No wonder I have lost half of my brain cells.

Especially if the wet lace hit you! If you was lucky it just left an imprint in your forehead and if you wasn't you might get a nasty cut!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 75
grimsby pete
November 10, 2017, 4:28pm

Exile

He is a great bloke and was a marvellous player. I don’t know if dementia is football related, the only ones in my family to suffer were female. His condition must be devastating for the family. They will be suffering at least as much as Matt.  The only consolation I realised from my family is that when someone has dementia they don’t really know too much about it and that is the greatest blessing.

You are right that dementia sufferers do not know much about it,

Before I retired I did some work in a dementia wing of a residential home looking after them, I thought I might need help one day so I have the time I should give as much help to them while I can,

Sadly they do not know from one minute to the next what is happening around them  but in themselves most of them seem happy with their lot most of the time.

You do get the odd exception though and some can be violent, one night while I was trying to change a man who had wet himself he thumped me on the chin , after I had finished and he was in a nice dry bed he rubbed my arm and said he loved me.. Bless.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 75
Badger57
November 10, 2017, 4:30pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,893
Gold Stars: 30
"Matt Tees, Matt Tees, born is the king of Blundell Park!"
'nuff said?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 75
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Matt Tees

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.