dapperz fun pub
November 6, 2017, 11:12pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from sonik

I'm not so sure as you with that but that's my opinion. The club have searched world wide for fresh and new investment to no avail. Please don't tell me it's because of the benign loans. Hopefully we have a lot to look forward to that may attract a real sugar daddy. Time will tell I suppose.

Keep the faith!

UTM!

Surely the loans are a big factor for a potential buyer aren't they ?

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 93
KingstonMariner
November 7, 2017, 1:10am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Of course they are. For the same reason that JF stated, new potential investors will be worried by not having the influence to go with their investment, because real control rests outside the boardroom regardless of who has whatever quantity of shares.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 93
Cloudy
November 7, 2017, 6:54am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Searching far and wide for new investors is pointless in my view when the benign loans gives JF complete control. Nobody would invest the sort of money required under those circumstances and I suspect JF knows that. He may work tirelessly, he may get extremely frustrated and, at times angry, but he loves the control and power.

IMO. we will continue to tread water ( at best), we have little chance of the much sought after 'football fortune' without investment. IF we could get the new ground, we have an improved chance but I fear it won't happen, too many loggerheads and too many ego's amongst developers,councillors and directors.
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 93
HertsGTFC
November 7, 2017, 8:10am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from sonik

I do OC. I'm the same as other fans with a brother that puts his head above the parapet for what? I know for the good of GTFC and the future generations to come. You and I know he can't really win. We just need our players to do the business on the pitch and all will be good.

UTM!

In answer to the first bit in bold, - Agreed a fair amount of grief but also days like 15/05/16 and the small amount of privilege that being a "non chairman" brings. Also I think more people might come forward if they had the means to.

In answer to the 2nd bit in bold - Again I agree if that happens then all this will disappear, but looking at the current crop some more investment is needed to make this happen. Not millions but just enough to make a difference.

Though I am now bored with the history but it's clear that in essence John saved the club with his financial support or if he didn't the money he put in certainly helped, I personally appreciate that as do the majority of all realistic Town supporters. Others said things like "I am putting my money where my mouth is" and have since found there level on the board of a 2nd tier non league club.

However there is indeed an apathy around things at the moment and not all because we are sat firmly mid table. Things change I get that but they need to be replaced by fresh energy from the leadership and at the moment there is little other than "the same old same old" filtering down to the majority, sometime people find that hard to follow.

Time for change at board level? In outlook, PR, supporter engagement and creativity, most definitely. In personnel? Not necessarily but John and the rest of the directors need to understand the danger of a growing disconnect between the exec and the supporters as that could cause a world of pain that nobody would buy into both financially and emotionally.  

UTM!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 93
lukeo
November 7, 2017, 8:19am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Dare I say Fenty is paying a lot of Slades wages out of his own pocket. Awwww friendsssss
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 93
Cloudy
November 7, 2017, 8:46am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from lukeo
Dare I say Fenty is paying a lot of Slades wages out of his own pocket. Awwww friendsssss

WTF
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 93
friskneymariner
November 7, 2017, 9:17am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from sonik

Lots of questions here that I can't answer in full but if you think something fishy is going on (Pardon the pun) it isn't.

All Town aren't we!

But some are more Town than others.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 93
Swansea_Mariner
November 7, 2017, 11:57am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from sonik

Lots of questions here that I can't answer in full but if you think something fishy is going on (Pardon the pun) it isn't.

All Town aren't we!

I don't think anyone is impying anything fishy has gone on but people are raising issues of fairness. How come all these large sums of money are treated as gifts to the club whereas one individuals contributions are treated as loans?

Surely there is no equity in that, or else how are we all in this together.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 93
headingly_mariner
November 7, 2017, 12:43pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from HertsGTFC

In answer to the first bit in bold, - Agreed a fair amount of grief but also days like 15/05/16 and the small amount of privilege that being a "non chairman" brings. Also I think more people might come forward if they had the means to.

In answer to the 2nd bit in bold - Again I agree if that happens then all this will disappear, but looking at the current crop some more investment is needed to make this happen. Not millions but just enough to make a difference.

Though I am now bored with the history but it's clear that in essence John saved the club with his financial support or if he didn't the money he put in certainly helped, I personally appreciate that as do the majority of all realistic Town supporters. Others said things like "I am putting my money where my mouth is" and have since found there level on the board of a 2nd tier non league club.

However there is indeed an apathy around things at the moment and not all because we are sat firmly mid table. Things change I get that but they need to be replaced by fresh energy from the leadership and at the moment there is little other than "the same old same old" filtering down to the majority, sometime people find that hard to follow.

Time for change at board level? In outlook, PR, supporter engagement and creativity, most definitely. In personnel? Not necessarily but John and the rest of the directors need to understand the danger of a growing disconnect between the exec and the supporters as that could cause a world of pain that nobody would buy into both financially and emotionally.  

UTM!

That is not clear, it's just your opinion. Lots of people would disagree with that and some would argue we'd have been better off without his involvement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 93
grimsby pete
November 7, 2017, 1:42pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,793
Gold Stars: 222
When John Fenty asked me to phone him he assured me that his benign loans would not put people off from investing in Town.

He informed me that if a person came forward who wanted to invest X amount of pounds but they could not also give him his loans back. He could live with that as long as the deal was right for the club.

So all we need is a rich man/woman or business to come forward with the money and John would step down.

He also said he has spent money of trying to find investors to no avail up to now but he will  continue looking.

If you believe him and I do all we need is that person to come forward,

PS    I am neither a Fenty fan or a hater but I think it is wrong the Trust have to pay £30,000 a year to be on the board and as a lifetime member I hope they do not have to pay a fee any more

The trust would still provide funding for the club to which the money could be directed were the Trust feels it is needed..

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 93
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mariners Trust AGM

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.