penrith mariner
November 4, 2017, 8:53pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +181
Gold Stars: 7
I don't post very often, and don't like to criticise, but here goes;
Yet another game this season where I've left after 90 minutes feeling so frustrated. Why Do we have to be so negative. Today was not a bad performance, not great, but in brief spells we showed what we could be capable of.
I thought we looked good for the first 10 minutes without really threatening their goal. We conceded a soft goal with Plymouths second venture into our half. Carey glided past 3 of our defenders with our a proper challenge then curled a great shot into the top corner. Plymouth are a poor side, without Carey they would be a lot worse. Similar could be said of ourselves with Dembele!
Carey continued to cause chaos in the Town defence throughout the first half, running rings round a Dixon. A good save from Macca from a Carey free kick kept town in the game but basically that summed up a poor first half.
Second half started the same as the first half ended.
WHY NO SUBS???
To be honest for the first 20 minutes of the 2nd half I was bored. Midfield too deep, front two puts lots of effort in but no end result. Defence coped better with Carey. The game was lit up by two pieces of pure brilliance from Dembele, first beating 2 layers on the edge of the box before hitting a great left foot shoo to the top left corner. Great save by the Argyle keeper. Secondly one of the finest pieces of football i have seen in  years, receiving the ball in midfield he had 5 players around him, a turn, two drag backs anither turn and a nutmeg and he had beaten all 5 of them. This guy is really special.  Last 20 minutes and at last the subs we have been craving for, DJ on for Woolford and Matt on for an ineffective Vernon. Unfortunately for the next 10 minutes we couldnt get a foothold in the game. Dembele seemed to be suffering with cramp and was replaced by Cardwell. The last 10 minutes of the game was by far our best spell of the game. Throwing everything at them creating numerous chances but just not getting the final touch.
Personally thought the score was a fair reflection of the game.
The questions that I want to be answered;
Why do we continue to be so negative. When we attack we look good.
Why can we not start a game with Dembele and DJ
What does Cardwell need to to to be given a fair chance?
The gig question.. ..when I pay to go to a football match, should I EXPECT to be entertained??
Logged Offline
Private Message
friskneymariner
November 4, 2017, 9:11pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
To be fair that could be a description of any match this seasons only the opposition names change.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 29
chelseacity
November 4, 2017, 9:11pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +364
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from penrith mariner
I don't post very often, and don't like to criticise, but here goes;
Yet another game this season where I've left after 90 minutes feeling so frustrated. Why Do we have to be so negative. Today was not a bad performance, not great, but in brief spells we showed what we could be capable of.
I thought we looked good for the first 10 minutes without really threatening their goal. We conceded a soft goal with Plymouths second venture into our half. Carey glided past 3 of our defenders with our a proper challenge then curled a great shot into the top corner. Plymouth are a poor side, without Carey they would be a lot worse. Similar could be said of ourselves with Dembele!
Carey continued to cause chaos in the Town defence throughout the first half, running rings round a Dixon. A good save from Macca from a Carey free kick kept town in the game but basically that summed up a poor first half.
Second half started the same as the first half ended.
WHY NO SUBS???
To be honest for the first 20 minutes of the 2nd half I was bored. Midfield too deep, front two puts lots of effort in but no end result. Defence coped better with Carey. The game was lit up by two pieces of pure brilliance from Dembele, first beating 2 layers on the edge of the box before hitting a great left foot shoo to the top left corner. Great save by the Argyle keeper. Secondly one of the finest pieces of football i have seen in  years, receiving the ball in midfield he had 5 players around him, a turn, two drag backs anither turn and a nutmeg and he had beaten all 5 of them. This guy is really special.  Last 20 minutes and at last the subs we have been craving for, DJ on for Woolford and Matt on for an ineffective Vernon. Unfortunately for the next 10 minutes we couldnt get a foothold in the game. Dembele seemed to be suffering with cramp and was replaced by Cardwell. The last 10 minutes of the game was by far our best spell of the game. Throwing everything at them creating numerous chances but just not getting the final touch.
Personally thought the score was a fair reflection of the game.
The questions that I want to be answered;
Why do we continue to be so negative. When we attack we look good.
Why can we not start a game with Dembele and DJ
What does Cardwell need to to to be given a fair chance?
The gig question.. ..when I pay to go to a football match, should I EXPECT to be entertained??

I think you will find under Russel Slade, it's not about winning, it's about not losing, this is the recipe for disaster of not trying to score goals, but trying to not concede a goal, a bit like watching England, absolute rubbish.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 29
penrith mariner
November 4, 2017, 9:15pm
Lager Top Drinker
And my thoughts on the team today...
Macca - solid good save from Carey free kick. Not at fault for the goal.
Dixon - torrid first half but much improved in the 2nd ( couldn't get much worse)
Clarke - looked edgy, struggled to cope with Argyle forwards.
Collins - also edgy in first half but a fair few last ditch clearances to clear the lines.
Davies - solid just wish he had the ability/pace to beat his man. Needed help on the right wing
Summerfield - not as good as in recent weeks but put in a shift
Better - did well today without being spectacular
Woolford- missed a sitter from 5 yards out in 2nd half generally poor. No lack of effort though.
Dembrle - fairly quiet in 1st half but simply sensational in spells of the 2nd half. Unlucky not to score
Vernon - lots of effort but didn't really happen for him today
Jones - put in a good shift needed more support from midfield
Subs - needed to be brought on at half time to be given a fair chance to affect the game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 29
barralad
November 4, 2017, 9:40pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
Excellent report Penrith. Thanks!

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 29
arryarryarry
November 4, 2017, 9:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from penrith mariner
And my thoughts on the team today...
Macca - solid good save from Carey free kick. Not at fault for the goal.
Dixon - torrid first half but much improved in the 2nd ( couldn't get much worse)
Clarke - looked edgy, struggled to cope with Argyle forwards.
Collins - also edgy in first half but a fair few last ditch clearances to clear the lines.
Davies - solid just wish he had the ability/pace to beat his man. Needed help on the right wing
Summerfield - not as good as in recent weeks but put in a shift
Better - did well today without being spectacular
Woolford- missed a sitter from 5 yards out in 2nd half generally poor. No lack of effort though.
Dembrle - fairly quiet in 1st half but simply sensational in spells of the 2nd half. Unlucky not to score
Vernon - lots of effort but didn't really happen for him today
Jones - put in a good shift needed more support from midfield
Subs - needed to be brought on at half time to be given a fair chance to affect the game

Thanks for the detailed report.

Having seen the highlights on the BBC red button, not sure Dixon was run ragged, it looked to me that he was so crap he couldn't tackle.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 29
penrith mariner
November 4, 2017, 9:51pm
Lager Top Drinker
To be fair, it wasn't just Dixon. In the first half Carey went past 4 or 5 of our players without being challenged on numerous occassions. Clarke, Collins, Barrett and Summerfield just as guilty on occassions
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 29
psgmariner
November 4, 2017, 10:02pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Penrith Mariner went to Plymouth away 😳

Pen-Fukkin-Rith to Plymouth.

Private Message
Reply: 7 - 29
jonnyboy82
November 4, 2017, 10:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Boring is the word to sum up Grimsby town from top to bottom.

Infact so bored I didn't even bother with the score until 6pm as I'm that bored.

Mrs bores me too tonight going On about x factor.

Boring takeaway too same old boring curry delivered by the same old delivery driver with a right boring face.

Bored.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 29
KingstonMariner
November 4, 2017, 10:31pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Boring is the word to sum up Grimsby town from top to bottom.

Infact so bored I didn't even bother with the score until 6pm as I'm that bored.

Mrs bores me too tonight going On about x factor.

Boring takeaway too same old boring curry delivered by the same old delivery driver with a right boring face.

Bored.

Who was your favourite former rTown right back called Peter?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 29
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.