Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 2017 Accounts (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 153 Guests

2017 Accounts (merged)

This thread currently has 10,616 views. Print
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
November 4, 2017, 6:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis
I have a lot of issue with JF, he's turned our once proud club into a tin pot club with zero risk to himself.  There's no investment in our club and it's not going to get better until we have someone knows how to run a football club.

So do I - the best justification for a new stadium would be to be playing attractive football in a higher league rather than snaffling back money that you have burnt at the first available opportunity.
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 127
Bigdog
November 4, 2017, 6:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from HertsGTFC

The principle of investment is you put the money in and then get it back.

Yes, by having the courage of your own convictions by investing in share value and then selling them on the open market value depending on performance. After all it's only JF's decisions that would affect that share value. Not to use £2m as a standby noose for the club if anyone else threatens his position.

I don't see MP, the Trust or the fans asking for their money back along with the hundreds and thousands of other shareholders past and present..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 127
HertsGTFC
November 4, 2017, 6:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,871
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from Bigdog

Yes, by having the courage of your own convictions by investing in share value and then selling them on the open market value depending on performance. After all it's only JF's decisions that would affect that share value. Not to use £2m as a standby noose for the club if anyone else threatens his position.

I don't see MP, the Trust or the fans asking for their money back along with the hundreds and thousands of other shareholders past and present..

Yeah I get what your saying, but if you turned the £2 million into shares in reality how attractive is that for an investor? How likely would you be to get a decent ROI? Putting £2 million into GTFC for what would be in reality "A shares" would be a massive risk for anyone.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 127
MuddyWaters
November 4, 2017, 6:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Yeah I get what your saying, but if you turned the £2 million into shares in reality how attractive is that for an investor? How likely would you be to get a decent ROI? Putting £2 million into GTFC for what would be in reality "A shares" would be a massive risk for anyone.  

To put your spin on it then, the loans and investments of Mr Fenty allow him to make all of the dodgy decisions and accumulate the debt? Whether the money is in loans or shares, there's not a right way or a wrong way. Shares give him more control, loans hang over the club like the Sword of Damocles - either way, it hardly serves to make the club an exciting investment.
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 127
headingly_mariner
November 4, 2017, 6:52pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,314
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from HertsGTFC

It's surely about what's best for the club. Selling the club debt free at a massively cut price would be about letting someone else have a go at taking the club forward.
Are the current administration capable of taking the club forward and getting a new ground built? I would say that the last 15 years suggest not. I think we are probably more likely to end up back in Non league.

The right people have been interested in taking the club on in the past and they haven't for whatever reason. I imagine that reason was how much money it would take to secure the club.

I'm told there was interest from someone who ended up buying another local sporting club that play in black and white.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 127
HertsGTFC
November 4, 2017, 7:10pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from headingly_mariner

It's surely about what's best for the club. Selling the club debt free at a massively cut price would be about letting someone else have a go at taking the club forward.
Are the current administration capable of taking the club forward and getting a new ground built? I would say that the last 15 years suggest not. I think we are probably more likely to end up back in Non league.

The right people have been interested in taking the club on in the past and they haven't for whatever reason. I imagine that reason was how much money it would take to secure the club.

I'm told there was interest from someone who ended up buying another local sporting club that play in black and white.

Don't disagree that selling anything debt free is attractive but there would have to be something on the balance sheet in reality otherwise we could end up in the same position indebted to an individual as the only capex we could generate would come from the coffers of an owner, the cash flow just covers the costs most season.

So bits in bold, how do you know that any interested part was "the right people"? You don't know till they get here. What currently suggests we will end up non league? Finally are you saying that Adam Pearson wanted to buy GTFC?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 127
Bigdog
November 4, 2017, 7:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I'd agree with what you are saying if we were talking about a window company, an engineering business, a fish processing plant, etc. But we're talking about a football club, a football club is different. No one gets involved in a football club to primarily make money. It's about pleasure and passion for the club and/or the game. I think it's where the key principle of your argument falls down in my (humble) opinion..

Regarding the A shares. Considering the number of existing shares issued is much more palatable than an outstanding loan. It's a value judgement that a person or group with much more money than you and I to take.. Their £5m might mean as much to them as £500 to anyone on this forum.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 127
headingly_mariner
November 4, 2017, 7:53pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,314
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Don't disagree that selling anything debt free is attractive but there would have to be something on the balance sheet in reality otherwise we could end up in the same position indebted to an individual as the only capex we could generate would come from the coffers of an owner, the cash flow just covers the costs most season.

So bits in bold, how do you know that any interested part was "the right people"? You don't know till they get here. What currently suggests we will end up non league? Finally are you saying that Adam Pearson wanted to buy GTFC?

That we are a mid table league side capable of a good or a bad run. We haven't invested in any great quality in the squad and I can't imagine we will in the future. A bad season could see us relegated. I have little faith in the current administration.

I'd heard that he'd had a look at the club before taking on Hull FC.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 127
monkeyboy
November 4, 2017, 8:13pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
What would happen if JF fell off his mortal coil? surely the money would be asked back by the estate. that could fold the club.
JF has the club in a very poor position by holding onto these loans. i would rather him take the money back out of any profits until he is paid up then seriously start thinking of the clubs future. a third of it could have been easily repaid now and its not likne we are signing players for large amounts.
Sorry but it is all about being the fat controller as it were, no one can take over the club unless being seriously rich like abromavich etc and dont really care about a few million. realistically thes only the ross family that are from the area that could do that. that is not going to happen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 127
HertsGTFC
November 4, 2017, 8:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from headingly_mariner

That we are a mid table league side capable of a good or a bad run. We haven't invested in any great quality in the squad and I can't imagine we will in the future. A bad season could see us relegated. I have little faith in the current administration.

I'd heard that he'd had a look at the club before taking on Hull FC.

Yeah get the point about the drop in principle your not wrong but it applies to a good 10 or so clubs at our level at least.

Interesting about Pearson there could be something in that if it was at the time when Great Coates was on the agenda, it's common knowledge he looked at HKR but their league status at the time put him off.

When he got involved in Hull FC & HCFC I was living just between The Boulevard and Boothferry Park and the general feeling was that he saw the opportunity first to bring both clubs together in a new facility that in the end neither had to pay for. David Lloyd talked about it but didn't understand the City and the clubs and wasn't up for speculating to accumulate, Pearson did that. One thing for sure was he generated a great feel good factor in West Hull at least.

Who knows an Adam Pearson type is the kind of "investor" we could possibly attract if this effing new stadium got moving within our lifetime............maybe that's JF's plan?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 127
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 2017 Accounts (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.