2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
October 29, 2017, 3:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,880
Gold Stars: 230
It becomes noticeable after about this stage in the season how the stats portray various elements of the team's form and I have to admit to being quite alarmed looking at the table this morning. 10 points from 8 games at home, 7 goals and 4 blanks. Indeed, in two of the games where we scored 2 (Wycombe and Colchester), we only managed 1 point.

What surprised me even more was that yesterday's gate (4091) was the 3rd highest this season - behind Coventry (1st game) and the Gimps. I've no idea what the final season ticket tally was but these stats tell me that there are very few who are paying (non STH) to get in. But why would they? We have no natural goal threat, our star player is a young kid with little or no League experience and our remit is to not lose rather than to win.

We appear to have options - a 30 man squad - but are they all as average as each other? I know we're away in the Cup but is it time for Slade to try something different to see if it might work?
Private Message
Bigdog
October 29, 2017, 4:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Is the unbeaten run covering over an inherent fragility or ceiling of ability in the squad or the springboard to greater things?
Are we compromising attractive football for Slade to squeeze out every point he possibly can from a mediocre squad?
Are we one defeat away from loss of confidence and a string of defeats?

They say you can massage statistics to create any picture you want but the latest from Experimental 361 paint a pretty accurate picture for Town..

https://experimental361.com/2017/10/29/scatter-graphics-league-2-29-oct-2017/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 17
RichMariner
October 29, 2017, 6:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
The problem with draws is that a so-called good run (where we've only lost once in 10) suddenly becomes just two wins in nine and six blanks if we lose to nil at Plymouth and the questions continue.

I'd really like to believe in this run, but it feels a bit shallow if you know what I mean. It's a decent run and I'll take it - of course I would - but at no point have we actually looked convincing.

Once we beat someone 3-0 and put in a solid performance right across 90 minutes we might start to believe that this team has something.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 2 - 17
October 29, 2017, 6:24pm
Guest User
I am far from convinced about this squad RS has assembled. We lack pace at the back, so we play deep. It takes an age to break forward, as aside from the excellent Dembele we still have no pace. We have too many centre forwards, all of which are very very poor. 33 year old Scott Vernon is starting on merit IMO, he is the only forward who can play with his back to goal, hold the ball up and link play but he isn't going to get many goals. I see Sam Jones as a number 10, the other lads are much of a muchness. JJ Hooper is awful IMO, Slade has wasted money on strikers that are below average and we've loads of them on the books. We are a poor side, though they are showing some spirit to be fair.
Reply: 3 - 17
MuddyWaters
October 29, 2017, 6:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,880
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from 75
I am far from convinced about this squad RS has assembled. We lack pace at the back, so we play deep. It takes an age to break forward, as aside from the excellent Dembele we still have no pace. We have too many centre forwards, all of which are very very poor. 33 year old Scott Vernon is starting on merit IMO, he is the only forward who can play with his back to goal, hold the ball up and link play but he isn't going to get many goals. I see Sam Jones as a number 10, the other lads are much of a muchness. JJ Hooper is awful IMO, Slade has wasted money on strikers that are below average and we've loads of them on the books. We are a poor side, though they are showing some spirit to be fair.

I really like Dembele but his asset is pace over a short distance. Yesterday's yellow for a foul on him was as a direct result of him not having the sustained pace to take him away from a challenge.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 17
October 29, 2017, 6:31pm
Guest User
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I really like Dembele but his asset is pace over a short distance. Yesterday's yellow for a foul on him was as a direct result of him not having the sustained pace to take him away from a challenge.

on Football Manager 2018, his acceleration should be set at 18, his pace at 16 IMO, he's very quick but I take your point about his initial burst. He changes direction so quickly and has quick feet. It's a joy watching him at times, he thinks quicker than the lads who have played 200 more league games than his 12 or so, people talk about the lack of an end product which I understand, but how much of it is the other players are not on his wavelength? He is too good for us and way too good for this league - enjoy him while you can.
Reply: 5 - 17
lew chaterleys lover
October 29, 2017, 6:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from 75

on Football Manager 2018, his acceleration should be set at 18, his pace at 16 IMO, he's very quick but I take your point about his initial burst. He changes direction so quickly and has quick feet. It's a joy watching him at times, he thinks quicker than the lads who have played 200 more league games than his 12 or so, people talk about the lack of an end product which I understand, but how much of it is the other players are not on his wavelength? He is too good for us and way too good for this league - enjoy him while you can.

He is not too good for us at all. Why do you think nobody else has snapped him up before now if he was a world beater? He is an exciting prospect, but nothing more than that.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 17
October 29, 2017, 6:41pm
Guest User

He is not too good for us at all. Why do you think nobody else has snapped him up before now if he was a world beater? He is an exciting prospect, but nothing more than that.

All about opinions mate, the truth is probably somewhere between mine and yours.
Reply: 7 - 17
lew chaterleys lover
October 29, 2017, 6:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from 75

All about opinions mate, the truth is probably somewhere between mine and yours.

More towards mine I reckon.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 17
October 29, 2017, 9:38pm
Guest User

More towards mine I reckon.

Well, you would. That's why it's your opinion.
Reply: 9 - 17
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Home form, gates etc

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.