3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
October 25, 2017, 2:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Just noticed that the England U-17 side has just beaten Brazil 3-1 to reach their World Cup Final.  Footage of the goals on the BBC site and some excellent poaching from a young Liverpool forward who just scored his second successive hat-trick with good all-round play on show from the team.

Surely we won't manage to ruin the chances of these young lads and will see a good number of them graduate through to the senior team?

Let's hope they can win the Final as well, after losing the Euro Final to Spain.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Southwark Mariner
October 25, 2017, 3:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,537
Gold Stars: 80
I saw the last 20mins. I also noticed they stopped for a few minutes for a "cool down period". I wasn't sure if that was something they were trialing ready for the actual 2022 World Cup or something that happens in standard youth matches or just in hot countries (it was played in 29 degrees and high humidity).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 28
Harry Haddock
October 25, 2017, 3:12pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +18 / -8
Approval: +670
Gold Stars: 5
They do this in hot countries. The U17 WC is being played in India

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 28
HertsGTFC
October 25, 2017, 4:37pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
Well done to them I bet the championship clubs are licking their lips at the thought of picking these lads up when they are pushed out by bang average foreigners.

So if they win it we could have World Cup winners at 2 age groups and this time next year another abject failure at senior level🤔

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 28
lew chaterleys lover
October 25, 2017, 4:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from Maringer
Just noticed that the England U-17 side has just beaten Brazil 3-1 to reach their World Cup Final.  Footage of the goals on the BBC site and some excellent poaching from a young Liverpool forward who just scored his second successive hat-trick with good all-round play on show from the team.

Surely we won't manage to ruin the chances of these young lads and will see a good number of them graduate through to the senior team?

Let's hope they can win the Final as well, after losing the Euro Final to Spain.

It is good news as far as it goes, but the only thing it proves is that at age 17 they are fantastic. Sadly, most of them will have peaked at 17, and it is down hill from here on in. It is a world of difference playing football at 17 as even opposed to 21.

Private Message
Reply: 4 - 28
Maringer
October 25, 2017, 4:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
The kid that scored the hat-trick looks to be an old-fashioned poacher in the style of Michael Owen so hopefully he'll get to play some football on loan somewhere at some point in the near future. Unlikely to feature in the first team for Liverpool for a while I'd imagine, but a quick striker with good positioning and an eye for goal is likely to score wherever he plays - providing he gets the chances, of course.

The No. 7 (can't remember his name) looks very useful as well and has been praised by Guardiola at Man City so hopefully he'll make the breakthrough to make some appearances in their first team soon. Either that, or out on loan somewhere! They are very young lads, so I suppose most won't be ready for regular first team football just yet. Fingers-crossed that one or two of them will be good enough to progress to the senior team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 28
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 25, 2017, 6:19pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,502
Gold Stars: 64
Think no 7 mentioned by Maringer is Foden from Man City.

If you were a glass half full type of football fan the fact that England have won or reached the finals of Euro or World tournaments from all age groups between 17 & 21 should give some optimism that England may have a brighter future. If we take a number of the current first 11 are under 25 we should by 2020/22 have a side that should be half decent.

Having watched nearly all the under 17 matches have to say they appear to have the most talented players of all those age groups and play football worth watching which for an England international team is unusual to say the least.

Heres hoping the kids get a chance and do progress as we all hope.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 28
Gaffer58
October 25, 2017, 7:15pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,034
Gold Stars: 31
Slade needs to get on the blower to the clubs were these lads are and agree to get 4/5 of them here in Jan or next season, just checking did they hoof it into channels?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 28
MarinerMal
October 26, 2017, 11:35am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +784
Gold Stars: 17
Most of them won't make it of course, nobody would expect that. But a few could make the grade.

I know it's popular to have a pop at the lack of English youngster's making in the Premier League but (and I maybe wrong) I don't remember England having such a strong showing across the Youth sides as they seem to have had over the past 12 months or so.

I think that bodes well for the future of England. I think England has improved in it's coaching and education of youngsters, we had too, we were so far behind. These young lads still have many obstacles and temptations to overcome but fingers crossed for them.

The Premier League seems to be gaining some of it strength back, looking at our teams in CL this season and you will have to be good to make it but it's possible. Just look at the Tottenham side.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 28
Les Brechin
October 28, 2017, 10:39am

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,644
Gold Stars: 168
I see that the final kicks off at half 3 today. A shame really as I'd liked to have watched it.

Might get home to catch the last 10 minutes, although it could go to extra-time of course.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 28
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › U-17s World Cup

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.