Maringer
October 25, 2017, 5:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from TAGG

My advice would be if you have young kids start saving now for the UNI fees.
A massive problem in this country (perpetuated by Corbyn) is that millions of people expect the state to run their lives for them, look after them and tell them what to do.
The further education system in this country must be  worth the money judging by the amount of overseas students that are here.

But what if you don't earn enough to help fund your kids through University? Inequality is bad enough as it stands without making things more difficult for those from poorer backgrounds. Free (or very cheap) tertiary education gives everybody more of a chance but the current system can't do anything but make inequality worse.

Your viewpoint appears to be that you're quite happy for the offspring of wealthy folk to get the best education, get the best opportunities and take all the best jobs, just because of chance of birth. Even if you don't explicitly think this, you're backing the concept by thinking it acceptable that students from poor backgrounds should have to get into tens of thousands of debt to get a degree.

As I noted before, the politicians who implemented these fees pretty much all received a free University education - why should it be what's good for the goose all of a sudden isn't good for the gander?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 80
Maringer
October 25, 2017, 5:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Zmariner
I think that you're thinking is is a bit flawed here. I work with several guys who's kids have trained to be dentistsand doctors and the general approach  is all about money and has nothing to do with the good of the country or the NHS.  For me a more practical solution is to stop dentists and doctors being primadonas and train a load more of them, in order to do this you may need to reduce the entry requirements. Clearly not an ideal solution but the current solution is a mess and an associate dentist can easily earn £100,000 a year for a pretty much 9 to 5 job, good luck to them but this is the root of the problem UTM

Actually, I think you're being a bit too harsh in your view about some members of the medical profession here. There are plenty of people working very long hours in the NHS for a lot less money than they could earn working privately, including dentists. The top whack NHS dentists can earn is a lot less than the £100k you mention (though possibly supplemented by some private cosmetic work, I suppose), so why would any of them do it?

I don't doubt that some of them are obssessed with the money side of things, but there is certainly the public service aspect involved as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 80
mariner91
October 25, 2017, 5:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,248
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from TAGG

intercourse it let’s get everything free.
intercourse people like me who have paid tax since leaving school at 16 we will pay for others to have further education and go on to get a 100,000k a year job.
Suck it up mate it was your decision to take the loan.

Isn't the point about education to enable you to get a job which pays you more? Therefore paying significantly more in over the long term than people who don't have jobs that pay as well. Of course it was my decision because I wanted a career in dentistry. I like helping people and I've always wanted to work in healthcare as biology was always my best subject at school.

Even with the loans I have, they don't cover all the costs and expenses I've had for this degree. Had I not got some inheritance from my old man passing away at a really young age, I wouldn't have been able to do this course. Sad but true. And before anyone says get a job, I did have one before my final year but this year I've got exams every six weeks and work full time either in hospitals or in primary care. There are certainly people who are priced out of studying dentistry or medicine so what a great system we have in place that promotes social mobility.

I've read before that you're quite strongly in favour of Brexit. Well before last year 17% of our dental workforce was educated in the EU. If fewer start to come over here to work, which is already happening, and more go back (also happening) then we're going to be pretty short of dentists. So then we'll be left in the scenario where many people are priced out of studying long degrees but we're also not training enough dentists of our own. All in all, the status quo doesn't look great.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 80
mariner91
October 25, 2017, 6:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,248
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from Zmariner
I think that you're thinking is is a bit flawed here. I work with several guys who's kids have trained to be dentistsand doctors and the general approach  is all about money and has nothing to do with the good of the country or the NHS.  For me a more practical solution is to stop dentists and doctors being primadonas and train a load more of them, in order to do this you may need to reduce the entry requirements. Clearly not an ideal solution but the current solution is a mess and an associate dentist can easily earn £100,000 a year for a pretty much 9 to 5 job, good luck to them but this is the root of the problem UTM

I think that's grossly unfair and unfounded. I don't dispute that there are some on my course who are only interested in the money aspect but it's certainly the minority. They're also generally the ones who struggle on the course and are almost always the ones who drop out. It's a difficult and stressful course and a difficult and stressful job so if you don't like what you're doing, most can't hack it. There are much easier ways to make more money like going to work in banking for example.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 80
grimsby pete
October 25, 2017, 6:15pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
We still have a lot of threads turning into a political debate,

That's why we have a politics thread so only the ones wanting to read or debate see it,

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 80
Maringer
October 25, 2017, 7:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Luckily, Pete, there aren't a finite number of threads. If you want to create a new thread about some other topic, anybody can do so.

We don't have one big match thread for every game, do we, so why would we have one big thread for every topic which touches on politics?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 80
KingstonMariner
October 25, 2017, 10:09pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from IlkleyMariner

Its supposed to be a footy site, preferably GTFC
Not sure what Corby has to contribute to either topic.
Not sure what student debt has to do with footy
Just bigger off and annoy somebody else-this is a GTFC site

You can't separate football or any sport from politics. Sport itself is a political act. It doesn't exist in a vacuum. It NEVER existed in this mythical Corinthian pure sport state. For the ancient Greeks sport was practice for war. When the Victorians re-invented and codified most of the modern sports we know today, they had explicit political aims. It's been used y states for political ends since the dawn of the 20th century and beyond. Sports clubs have political allegiances in most countries. What you or I can do before, during and after watching a football match is governed by politics. Different rules apply to us. YOU CAN'T MORE flipping POLITICAL!

I suggest you take your head out of the sand and look at the real world instead of some fantasy where 'pure' sport happens in a vacuum cut off from life.

And you haven't answered the question. Are you afraid of debate? Or is that not for the likes of us (as per your comment about allowing the 'professionals' get on with running the club and the development of the new ground)?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 80
KingstonMariner
October 25, 2017, 10:10pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from TAGG

intercourse it let’s get everything free.
intercourse people like me who have paid tax since leaving school at 16 we will pay for others to have further education and go on to get a 100,000k a year job.
Suck it up mate it was your decision to take the loan.

Do you know what happens to your tax allowance when you get above £100k a year?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 80
KingstonMariner
October 25, 2017, 10:15pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from TAGG

Thats my point.
Its peoples choice if they want to go further with their education. Stop moaning about having to pay loans back its part of life.
My choice was to leave school on the Friday and and start working the next week. I didn't ask the tax payer to finance my first few years in work so why the fook should I (through my taxes) subsidies some one who will have the ability to earn two,three or four times more than I will ever earn??  

I have three and  six year old girls and they have a savings pot if they want to go to UNI when they get older hopefully there will be enough cash in their accounts so they dont have to bum off the tax payers of England.

Tuition fees have trebled in the last six years. At the same rate your six year old will be facing annual fees of £81,000 a year. 9,000 now x 3 in 6 years = 27,000. x 3 in the next 6 years.....Even if it doesn't and goes up by a 'mere' £3,000 a year in that time, that's £36,000 before she starts.

The there's the daily living costs which, at a (conservative) guess, would double that. So £72,000. So you'll be putting away £6,000 a year until she's 18. Then there's your second one. Glad you can afford it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 80
KingstonMariner
October 25, 2017, 10:19pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from TAGG

My advice would be if you have young kids start saving now for the UNI fees.
A massive problem in this country (perpetuated by Corbyn) is that millions of people expect the state to run their lives for them, look after them and tell them what to do.
The further education system in this country must be  worth the money judging by the amount of overseas students that are here.

How do you think all those countries in northern Europe manage? Germany, the Netherlands, Sweden, Finland and Denmark. Their economies must be wrecked and their people on their uppers because of looney policies like covering the cost of higher education through tax. Completely potty. i don't know how they manage.

Oh, right, more educated people earn more money and pay more tax. They develop more products that the outside world want to buy and earn more export revenue for the country. Oh. That'll be it then.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 80
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › #gtfcfansforcorbyn

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.