4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
jonnyboy82
October 21, 2017, 4:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.29
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,683
Gold Stars: 95
Possibly one of the worst football matches I have ever seen..

Credit to the team for digging in and getting a point , Morecambe absolutely awful and we were not much different.

I just don't know what to think of us , we are on a good run but that showing today was something of the conference days .

The weather is Crap the stadium was Crap and the food was Crap , safe journey everyone .

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
sonofmadeleymariner
October 21, 2017, 5:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,399
Gold Stars: 35
Weather won't of helped at all today, wind constantly changing direction made it a one directional match, playing on the ground will of been difficult because of how slick the pitch will of been.

Thought Morecambe were the better side slightly, they had more going on up front and Macca made a few good saves where as we never really troubled their keep, I think he had to make one save.

Out formation was the right idea but it didn't work. Morecambe seemed to be playing a 532 today so it looked like Slade had our wingers tucked in to deal with the number of men in the middle, however it did open up the flanks and allowed their wing backs to cross from where ever they wanted which was when their best chances came from.

We didn't have any real threat going forward today Vernon was anonymous and Jones just had a bad game making poor decisions, poor touches etc and just didn't look himself.

Thought most of the midfield played well, Summerfield and Berrett especially, Woolford didn't have the best of games today his shots often going wide and his passes misplaces, its been a few games like that now and I would like to see DJ get a start he looked full of energy and skill again and looks to have a footballing brain to boot. Dembele wasn't in the game today but we didn't  seem to try and create anything down the right but when he did get the ball he did his usual thing.

Back four looked good, looked solid dealing with Morecambes attacks Dixon got beat a few times but he looked good going forward not much else to say about them.

DJ came on and looked good but got little service. Hooper again didn't get any service so can't make a comment.

Now a real negative. How we defend set pieces, we have no outlet. We did really well dealing with their set pieces but the ball always came back to us because we had no one to challenge them once the ball had been cleared and were so slow pushing it when we did break from a set piece it was 1 vs 6.

Poor conditions made for a poor game but I do think Morecambe dealt with them better then we did a draw was a fair result.

Slade Out

UTM

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 32
lukeo
October 21, 2017, 5:11pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.08
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,295
Gold Stars: 133
Didn't go and feel for those who went to watch a poor game in poor conditions, but as previously stated happy with a point as long as we follow it up with a win at home next week. 6 unbeaten in the league and we've not really played that well.
UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 32
Hagrid
October 21, 2017, 5:17pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,933
Gold Stars: 505
In the conference days its a game we would have lost. Its a point gained well done team
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 32
barralad
October 21, 2017, 5:17pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +85 / -20
Approval: +9,192
Gold Stars: 121
Weather won't of helped at all today, wind constantly changing direction made it a one directional match, playing on the ground will of been difficult because of how slick the pitch will of been.

Thought Morecambe were the better side slightly, they had more going on up front and Macca made a few good saves where as we never really troubled their keep, I think he had to make one save.

Out formation was the right idea but it didn't work. Morecambe seemed to be playing a 532 today so it looked like Slade had our wingers tucked in to deal with the number of men in the middle, however it did open up the flanks and allowed their wing backs to cross from where ever they wanted which was when their best chances came from.

We didn't have any real threat going forward today Vernon was anonymous and Jones just had a bad game making poor decisions, poor touches etc and just didn't look himself.

Thought most of the midfield played well, Summerfield and Berrett especially, Woolford didn't have the best of games today his shots often going wide and his passes misplaces, its been a few games like that now and I would like to see DJ get a start he looked full of energy and skill again and looks to have a footballing brain to boot. Dembele wasn't in the game today but we didn't  seem to try and create anything down the right but when he did get the ball he did his usual thing.

Back four looked good, looked solid dealing with Morecambes attacks Dixon got beat a few times but he looked good going forward not much else to say about them.

DJ came on and looked good but got little service. Hooper again didn't get any service so can't make a comment.

Now a real negative. How we defend set pieces, we have no outlet. We did really well dealing with their set pieces but the ball always came back to us because we had no one to challenge them once the ball had been cleared and were so slow pushing it when we did break from a set piece it was 1 vs 6.

Poor conditions made for a poor game but I do think Morecambe dealt with them better then we did a draw was a fair result.

Slade Out

UTM

Hard to disagree with any of that (apart from the last two words!). I thought Collins was immense but Davies pushed him close for MOM. The conditions in the first half were amongst the worst I've seen. No chance of playing football really. Surface watér second half made even simple passes risky.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 32
Garth
October 21, 2017, 5:22pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from lukeo
Didn't go and feel for those who went to watch a poor game in poor conditions, but as previously stated happy with a point as long as we follow it up with a win at home next week. 6 unbeaten in the league and we've not really played that well.
UTM

Only league leaders Luton are equal, must turn the draws into wins
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 32
GyMariner
October 21, 2017, 5:27pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -5
Approval: +681
Gold Stars: 7
Exactly, draws get you nowhere in football due to the points system. It's all well and good not losing but when you think 2 losses & 1 win is equivalent to 3 draws it's not that pretty!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 32
oldun
October 21, 2017, 5:30pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from GyMariner
Exactly, draws get you nowhere in football due to the points system. It's all well and good not losing but when you think 2 losses & 1 win is equivalent to 3 draws it's not that pretty!

Yes but we have picked up 4 points this week from 2 away games. Promo form. We need to back it up with a long overdue home win on Sat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 32
Skrill
October 21, 2017, 5:37pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +6 / -6
Approval: +604
Shout out to the absolutely amazing 462 Mariners who went all the way to Morecambe!

[tweet]316134373063806976[/tweet]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 32
moosey_club
October 21, 2017, 5:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,132
Gold Stars: 220
Terrible spectacle, McKeown's efforts and their No 9's inability to finish earning us the clean sheet.  Going forward very little on offer, zero service really for any of the strikers or attacking players.
While the weather was terrible and conditions difficult we still chose to play a hoofball approach, balls zipping through or holding up and coming backwards, just the wrong thing to do IMO...when we did get it down early on in the first half we pinned them back but poor decisions around the edge of the box broke our play down. After around 20 - 30 mins we looked like were done as an attacking force.
As the game wore on we sat deeper and surrendered territory at will making it all more difficult to create. Hooper spent more time around our area defending than he did in possession in their half being an example of that.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 32
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back to the car

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.