4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
lukeo
October 21, 2017, 9:59pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,339
Gold Stars: 141
Vane I said the same thing at Cheltenham every time they had a corner. We clear our lines so we but then because we've got no one up near the half way line it just gives their defence time to control the ball and ping it back at us
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 32
Cloudy
October 21, 2017, 9:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from moosey_club

My criticism is this....trying to hit channel balls into a strong wind only did one thing, gave the ball cheaply back to the opposition...but they just kept doing it and inviting pressure back.... kicking a ball aerially 30 yds towards an isolated team mate in the vein hope he can firstly win it against 3 or 4 opponents, then hold onto it long enough for the rest of the team to push up and help was ridiculous in those conditions but it just kept getting repeated.
There were plenty of times a 10 yd pass to a team mate in space could have been used to both retain possession and to gradually gain territory. Its frustrating to watch.. while readily accepting it was difficult conditions today.

Think you made your mind up weeks ago as I don't think we were doing the things you describe.
Opinions eh?
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 32
AussieMariner
October 21, 2017, 10:39pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,072
Gold Stars: 31
I agree Cloudy
I’ve been to 4 of the last 5 matches including 3 0-0 draws, and my take out is that the team is trying to play good football, on the ground whenever they can. Clearances and balls into the channels happen when a defender is under pressure - thank god. Given any space at all they are always looking for a constructive pass to another player in space.
You also can’t question the commitment of the team and their willingness to put their bodies on the line.
My only real criticism is that while the defence is good and playing well we are not defending well enough. Far too many dangerous balls are getting into the box, usually from free kicks or corners conceded because too many balls are getting into the box....
I think that if we could sort this out, and defend more effectively in front of the back four without conceding free kicks it would result in better quality balls getting out to the wide men and the front two, and I actually think we have the quality up front to convert this into goals. I think we look dangerous with the ball in the opposition half, it’s just not happening often enough. Jones and Dembele must be in the top 5 players in this league in terms of skill.
I don’t know how Slade can address this, or indeed if he can, but PLEASE EVERYONE drop the hoof ball commentary because it ain’t true, and it’s counter productive.
Cloudy, you asked for opinions. I’m not often in a position to offer one as I can’t get to games, but for what it’s worth, that’s mine.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 32
louth_in_the_south
October 21, 2017, 11:20pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,656
Gold Stars: 94
^^ slade came with reputation of hoofball so as soon as results don’t go our way it’s used as a big stick to beat him ( and JF for appointing him ) from the clever dicks . You know who you are .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 32
Cloudy
October 22, 2017, 9:37am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from AussieMariner
I agree Cloudy
I’ve been to 4 of the last 5 matches including 3 0-0 draws, and my take out is that the team is trying to play good football, on the ground whenever they can. Clearances and balls into the channels happen when a defender is under pressure - thank god. Given any space at all they are always looking for a constructive pass to another player in space.
You also can’t question the commitment of the team and their willingness to put their bodies on the line.
My only real criticism is that while the defence is good and playing well we are not defending well enough. Far too many dangerous balls are getting into the box, usually from free kicks or corners conceded because too many balls are getting into the box....
I think that if we could sort this out, and defend more effectively in front of the back four without conceding free kicks it would result in better quality balls getting out to the wide men and the front two, and I actually think we have the quality up front to convert this into goals. I think we look dangerous with the ball in the opposition half, it’s just not happening often enough. Jones and Dembele must be in the top 5 players in this league in terms of skill.
I don’t know how Slade can address this, or indeed if he can, but PLEASE EVERYONE drop the hoof ball commentary because it ain’t true, and it’s counter productive.
Cloudy, you asked for opinions. I’m not often in a position to offer one as I can’t get to games, but for what it’s worth, that’s mine.

obviously I lean towards us not being a total hoofball team but my 'criticism' is not about the defence but the attack.

we currently have the two forwards and Dembele as attacking players who are joined from time to time by Woolford. That is it! 3 or maybe 4 attacking players. The central midfield get nowhere near the opposition penalty box and the full backs do get forward but hardly at flying pace. I'd love to see a  central midfielder get beyond the strikers once in a while rather than treat the opposition penalty box as shark infested waters. Summerfield was one of our better players yesterday once again btw
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 32
Marinerz93
October 22, 2017, 10:28am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Great turn out by Town fans, weather was horrible for football. When we clear the ball out under pressure we need it to be cleared to one of our players far too often we clear it and it comes straight back, it's not just this game but in all of them. Fair result in the end from what I saw though Morecambe were the better side.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 32
Mrs Doyle
October 22, 2017, 10:46am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
I don't think we are a hoof ball outfit the midfield are becoming a lot more involved.

Even Macca is looking to give the ball short thus keeping possession and momentum going.

Not sure Woolford has ninety minutes in him to me he struggles later on this is when Tombola or D.J needs bringing on. These players have pace, energy and strength in spades.

Still giving away to many free kicks and corners which law of averages says will cost goals eventually.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 32
Croxton
October 22, 2017, 10:59am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,011
Gold Stars: 33
Morecambe played the width of the pitch and arrowed passes rather than higher easily defended and wind affected balls. Vernon links play better when given to feet. In the second half we have no players up the pitch when defending corners. Sterling work from Collins and Davies.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 32
arryarryarry
October 22, 2017, 11:50am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Cloudy
Anyone being critical of the 'style' of play today needs to give their heads a wobble IMO,

A strong swirling wind in an open stadium and lashing rain simply made football impossible.

Neither side deserved to win as neither side really had any clear cut chances. Defences on top with their number 5 given their MOM and IMO ours was either Clarke or Collins which sums up the game.

Dembele simply wasn't in the game at any stage and when he did get the ball he seemed to lose it very quickly whilst Jones seemed on a mission to collect a 2nd yellow card. Vernon was dominated by and large and Summerfield did the work of two men in the middle.

DJ was lively when he came on

Bottom line is that we dug in and took a point, not as good as three but better than none, keeps the run going and hopefully get 3 at home next Saturday

Whilst the weather does have an effect on the game for the first 10 or 15 minutes we passed it around on the floor and looked in control, then for some reason we started hitting it long which was pretty pointless.

Morecambe also created a number of chances with McKeown having to make several saves as well as their number 9 and others missing some good chances.

I would agree about Collins who I thought was magnificent.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 32
Cloudy
October 22, 2017, 1:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

Whilst the weather does have an effect on the game for the first 10 or 15 minutes we passed it around on the floor and looked in control, then for some reason we started hitting it long which was pretty pointless.

Morecambe also created a number of chances with McKeown having to make several saves as well as their number 9 and others missing some good chances.

I would agree about Collins who I thought was magnificent.

IMO the conditions worsened after the first 10 mins. Do you not think that had an impact?

McKeowns two decent saves came from efforts outside the box, hardly clear chances and cant recall Oliver having any clear cut chances unless you include the ricochet in the first half that sped to him at an awkward height in the first half that came off his shin?
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 32
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back to the car

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.