Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › NEW STADIUM
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 288 Guests

NEW STADIUM

This thread currently has 26,309 views. Print
18 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
Grim74
October 20, 2017, 10:35pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from ginnywings

Shall we not bother then?

I thought the possibility of a new stadium was a good thing, but going on the myriad negative comments on this thread, it seems most people are happy to bumble along in a dilapidated, drafty old pile with no decent facilities. Who said the people of GY were negative and backward looking?

I particularly appreciate the positive spin from Golfer and Herts, both of whom left GY to live elsewhere.

Well I live in town and il say old cover is talking bollox

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 176
promotion plaice
October 20, 2017, 10:38pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193
Quoted from ginnywings

I thought the possibility of a new stadium was a good thing, but going on the myriad negative comments on this thread, it seems most people are happy to bumble along in a dilapidated, drafty old pile with no decent facilities. Who said the people of GY were negative and backward looking?

I particularly appreciate the positive spin from Golfer and Herts, both of whom left GY to live elsewhere.

Not me....get the thing built ASAP

Any latest news on it John ? ........"pretty please".

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 176
Bigdog
October 20, 2017, 11:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from ginnywings

Well said Ginny. I've been a bit incredulous about some of the comments on this thread.

The only way we can progress is offering 21st century facilities in a 21st century stadium. Not withstanding team performance, the improved matchday experience can only help boost attendances.

I just want to see some progress. We don't seem to be making any ostensible movements forward given the length of time without any news. Council delays, then we make it through one of their hurdles, then the club seems to drag its heels. Weeks turn into months and months into years, a never ending process of inching forward then a long period of silence. Fans need to be sold a future, it can impact on decisions made in the present. ie Club - Stadium's going to be built by 2020. Fans - Ok, we're finding it tough at the moment but we'll stay loyal until then.

The silence is deafening at the minute and a little worrying.

In my mind we've got everything to gain from a new stadium.

My only two reservations are that I'm worried that the stadium design itself won't have the wow factor we all crave and secondly the cost of the aforementioned bridging loan to cover the phased housing plan impacts on the future playing budget, so the entertainment and competitiveness of the team won't match expectation.

After all, we are talking about much bigger numbers than any board member can underwrite if the project comes up against an unplanned for pitfall.

Any news would be welcome to allay any doubts..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 176
KingstonMariner
October 21, 2017, 12:13am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Pretty excrement communications really. I’d have thought a once a month update (even saying there’s no further news) on the OS wouldn’t be difficult to manage. I wrongly imagined that one thing Extreme would be good at was communicating as they seem to have parlayed themselves a role in this project without previous experience. I’d have thought they’d be on the phone saying ‘John, stakeholder engagement. You’ve got to keep the punters up to date.’

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 176
HertsGTFC
October 21, 2017, 7:52am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,884
Gold Stars: 227
What Bigdog says is bang on for me. The silence is a concern, as is the credibility of the partner at this level, being able to generate the income makes me nervous as in reality when we where doing well gates where not through the roof.

I think it's the only way we can really move forward long term and apart from putting the club in jeopardy we should do all we can to get it built.

Re the design? Well let's submit the plans and then we'll see.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 176
Swansea_Mariner
October 21, 2017, 8:27am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,430
Gold Stars: 63
perhaps an foi request to the council would prompt an update, after all it is public land we are talking about.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 176
realist
October 21, 2017, 9:50am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,689
Gold Stars: 41
I think the council are patiently waiting for a planning application. There is nothing else they can do until fenty gets his act together.
I  am sure the uncertainty of brexit isn't helping, along with the two town centre developments. Who would gamble on buying in to the stadium project when there could be the potentially massive riverside development and the cinema/restaurants project?  I  know where I would put my money and it wouldn't be the parkway.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 176
ginnywings
October 21, 2017, 9:57am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
The deal seems straight forward to me. We will give you a big parcel of land at a competitive price with planning in place to build a substantial number of houses, with the proviso that you also build a football stadium, and lease it for a peppercorn rent for the next hundred years to GTFC.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 176
KingstonMariner
October 21, 2017, 10:00am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from realist
I think the council are patiently waiting for a planning application. There is nothing else they can do until fenty gets his act together.
I  am sure the uncertainty of brexit isn't helping, along with the two town centre developments. Who would gamble on buying in to the stadium project when there could be the potentially massive riverside development and the cinema/restaurants project?  I  know where I would put my money and it wouldn't be the parkway.

Could be a new username:

getyouracttogether.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 176
arryarryarry
October 21, 2017, 10:24am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from realist

Perhaps all Town fans should be demanding another referendum.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 176
18 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › NEW STADIUM

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.