3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
gtfc98
October 17, 2017, 11:11pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,038
Gold Stars: 65
Great to see Dembele run across the pitch to celebrate with Russ, clear to see he appreciates what Slade has done for him so far. He's shown plenty of faith in him, looks like that's starting to pay off! Just got to cling on to him past January now...

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
promotion plaice
October 17, 2017, 11:29pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188
Quoted from gtfc98
Great to see Dembele run across the pitch to celebrate with Russ, clear to see he appreciates what Slade has done for him so far. He's shown plenty of faith in him, looks like that's starting to pay off! Just got to cling on to him past January now...

Careful.....RS must not be praised on here......it's the law.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 21
grimsby pete
October 17, 2017, 11:56pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Well I think Slade  is doing ok .

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 21
The Grim Reaper
October 18, 2017, 12:18am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -30
Approval: -533
Gold Stars: 1
Just watched his second goal very special

Jesus wants me to be a sunbeam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 21
promotion plaice
October 18, 2017, 12:24am

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188
Quoted from grimsby pete
Well I think Slade  is doing ok .

Agreed

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 21
ginnywings
October 18, 2017, 12:29am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
I think Slade is doing fine points wise, but it's the dire football, especially at BP that is the concern for me. There has been a steady improvement as the season has progressed, in terms of being harder to beat and picking up good points away from home, but the team need to start performing at home.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 21
1mickylyons
October 18, 2017, 6:52am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,257
Gold Stars: 54
Quoted from ginnywings
I think Slade is doing fine points wise, but it's the dire football, especially at BP that is the concern for me. There has been a steady improvement as the season has progressed, in terms of being harder to beat and picking up good points away from home, but the team need to start performing at home.

This 180 Town fans last night and 3900 on Saturday just gone the players and Manager owe the home fans a big performance.Hopefully this run will continue and let`s see an emphatic Boxing Day win resulting in Evans being led off in cuffs
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 21
LondonMariner43
October 18, 2017, 6:52am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,891
Gold Stars: 64
I watched the highlights and thought the same thing.  Whatever some on here think, here's a young player who appreciates the manager.

In pre-season, we had a glut of goals but when the season started we were letting in too many soft goals and everyone said our defense was too old/ too slow etc.

The first job for a manager is to make your team hard to beat.  If you don't concede, you only have to score 1 to win.  It may not be pretty but are Chelsea fans happier in recent seasons than Liverpool?  

Once there is a solid platform, then you can focus more attention on the attacking side of the game.  

One noticeable thing about recent weeks is that we seem to have a first 11 that you can pretty much name, give or take injuries etc.  you may not like the selection but it's the first time for a while that we have had a settled line up.  Once you have a settled team, then it's easier to bring in one or two changes and try things out.  What you can't have is the sort of chaos perpetrated by Bignot.

I'm sure we would all like to win 3-0 every week but the fact is that if Jones had scored his penalty on Saturday we'd be one point off the play off spots.  

It's still early days but there are signs for me that things are heading in the right direction.  I just hope more fans will get behind the team and the manager.  Maybe there is a reason the away form is better than at Grumble Park?!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 21
1mickylyons
October 18, 2017, 7:00am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,257
Gold Stars: 54
Quoted from LondonMariner43
I watched the highlights and thought the same thing.  Whatever some on here think, here's a young player who appreciates the manager.

In pre-season, we had a glut of goals but when the season started we were letting in too many soft goals and everyone said our defense was too old/ too slow etc.

The first job for a manager is to make your team hard to beat.  If you don't concede, you only have to score 1 to win.  It may not be pretty but are Chelsea fans happier in recent seasons than Liverpool?  

Once there is a solid platform, then you can focus more attention on the attacking side of the game.  

One noticeable thing about recent weeks is that we seem to have a first 11 that you can pretty much name, give or take injuries etc.  you may not like the selection but it's the first time for a while that we have had a settled line up.  Once you have a settled team, then it's easier to bring in one or two changes and try things out.  What you can't have is the sort of chaos perpetrated by Bignot.

I'm sure we would all like to win 3-0 every week but the fact is that if Jones had scored his penalty on Saturday we'd be one point off the play off spots.  

It's still early days but there are signs for me that things are heading in the right direction.  I just hope more fans will get behind the team and the manager.  Maybe there is a reason the away form is better than at Grumble Park?!

Good post this and very fair assessment but likewise so are most of the balanced comments about what we have seen at BP in recent games from an entertainment point of view.The team are being moulded and from the way we are picking up points it appears the RS message is getting through it`s never been pretty to watch but at least it`s effective.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 21
Maringer
October 18, 2017, 8:30am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
I think you have to say that the unsuccessful attempts at 4-2-3-1 during the early stages of the season certainly contributed to our lacklustre start. We seem more comfortable playing the 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 though the first choice eleven is a bit lacking in pace.

It would be nice to have a different formation in the locker but I don't think the 4-2-3-1 can really work with the players we have at our disposal. Can't complain much about the away form at present, however.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 21
MuddyWaters
October 18, 2017, 9:11am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,880
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from Maringer
I think you have to say that the unsuccessful attempts at 4-2-3-1 during the early stages of the season certainly contributed to our lacklustre start. We seem more comfortable playing the 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 though the first choice eleven is a bit lacking in pace.

It would be nice to have a different formation in the locker but I don't think the 4-2-3-1 can really work with the players we have at our disposal. Can't complain much about the away form at present, however.

I'm not sure that there's much difference between 4231 and 4411 to be honest in that the wide players in a 3 become the wide players in a 4???
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 21
Maringer
October 18, 2017, 9:44am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
The theory (at least) is that the two holding/defensive midfielders shield the back 4 and allow the 3 in front of them to do their own thing. Not a bad theory, but I think the reality of 4th Division football is that it is more likely to be like a 4-5-1 where you're too defensive or a 4-2-4 where you're vulnerable at the back. I don't think we have midfielders who are athletic enough to play this sort of a holding role - no Kante-esque players here!

The alternative, of course, is attempting a 4-1-3-2 which Bignot tried out last season, albeit with Gunning as the (flipping useless) holding midfielder. That didn't work back then and I don't think we have the player to do this now, either. A pity that McAllister looks like he'll never be fit as his performance on the last day of last season showed what he could offer if available - would have provided a lot more cover to allow the creative players to do their stuff.

The odd thing about the squad at the moment is that we have a lot of players who want to play in an attacking midfield role just behind the forwards (Jones, Osbourne and potentially Dembele), but I'm not sure that the rest of the team can accommodate them in this position!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 21
GrimRob
October 18, 2017, 9:58am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from ginnywings

Wasn't much the same said of PH though? When was the last time we were winning regularly and playing well at home?

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 12 - 21
ginnywings
October 18, 2017, 10:04am

Recovering Alcoholic
I think we will need to get used to tight unattractive games at BP. Most teams are going to come here and play a compact formation, which we will find difficult to break down and it will be in away games that we have a bit more time and room for our more creative players to affect the game. As terrible as the Crawley game was, if we had put the penalty away, it would have been job done, three points and on the verge of the top 7.

The key is to convert early if possible, so the opposition has to come out of their shell a bit more when we are at BP. Have to start converting the few chances we get and hopefully Dembele will now be the ace card as he seems to be finding his range. Also hoping that Osborne and Asante can give us a bit more flair when they return.

I think it's clear that we can play football when the opportunity is there, but that seems to be away from BP in most cases. It was commented a couple of times last night, that Cheltenham were giving us space to play.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 21
ginnywings
October 18, 2017, 10:05am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from GrimRob

Wasn't much the same said of PH though? When was the last time we were winning regularly and playing well at home?

Yea, and i did mention that in another post somewhere.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 21
headingly_mariner
October 18, 2017, 10:07am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
I can't believe we haven't given Dembele an improved contract yet. His stock will only rise, its surely time to extend it beyond the 2 years. If it remains at its current length he will be gone in January which is criminal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 21
Tinymariner
October 18, 2017, 10:09am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
I know we haven't been playing sexy football, although we are getting positive results with only 2 losses in 10. I think if we an stay in touching distance of the top 5 until Christmas then have match fit Osborne and and possibly Asante, if he can prove himself as a striker, we may be the surprise team in the playoffs or higher. Here's hoping. UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 21
BackHeelTony
October 18, 2017, 1:32pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +325
Gold Stars: 1
Seems to me Slade sets us up first and foremost to be difficult to beat.

He does like us to play but only at the right time and in the right areas. Don't think you will see us running the risk of over playing and giving the ball away too many times with Russ in charge.

This is why we are better away from home at the minute were opponents are more likely to commit men forward allowing us the space to play a bit.

At home teams haven't allowed us as much space to play and therefore we knock it forward rather than play it in tight situations.

Unfortunately this hasn't been too pretty to watch and people aren't rushing through the BP turnstiles.

1 loss in 8 shows Slade's style is effective though if not attractive.

I firmly believe there is improvement to come too and it's good to know Jamie Osborne is approaching fitness to add a bit of flair along with Dembele.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 21
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 18, 2017, 2:35pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from BackHeelTony
Seems to me Slade sets us up first and foremost to be difficult to beat.

He does like us to play but only at the right time and in the right areas. Don't think you will see us running the risk of over playing and giving the ball away too many times with Russ in charge.

This is why we are better away from home at the minute were opponents are more likely to commit men forward allowing us the space to play a bit.

At home teams haven't allowed us as much space to play and therefore we knock it forward rather than play it in tight situations.

Unfortunately this hasn't been too pretty to watch and people aren't rushing through the BP turnstiles.

1 loss in 8 shows Slade's style is effective though if not attractive.

I firmly believe there is improvement to come too and it's good to know Jamie Osborne is approaching fitness to add a bit of flair along with Dembele.

UTM

I think this is spot on. Teams don’t exactly park the bus at BP but they do tend to drive it very slowly. Nevertheless our side has created chances in every game. It may be felt that the football is dire but to be honest I cannot agree with that. Yes there have been sterile patches but anyone looking back through the videos will see some good stuff too. There has been some excellent play especially involving Summerfield, Vernon and Jones. Woodford has added another dimension or will do if he gets fully fit. Dembele we know is good but until the last couple of games has just lacked the final bit of confidence. OK it has not been as gung-ho as it was pre-Slade but I can see a lot more purpose in the play and with just slightly more fortune more points at home.

Looking at Luton for example. Their transfers in the summer include a lot from the Premier  and the Championship. Then they filled up with good local stuff for whom they paid fees. We don’t know what wages they pay but it will definitely be a lot more than GTFC. The point is this - if you want a secure defence but you also want expansive football with quality finishing, it costs a lot of money even t this level. Dembele’s signing was a master stroke. That’s the only way we will get that sort of quality short of organising another OP collection for a Bogle. So it’s a choice. Bearing in mind this is L2 not the Championship I am a much happier supporter with these points in the bag than I would be with free flowing footie in the bottom 4 at this stage of the season.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 21
Cloudy
October 18, 2017, 3:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
which side in the bottom four are playing free flowing footie?
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 21
ginnywings
October 18, 2017, 3:36pm

Recovering Alcoholic
At least last time Slade was here, we had Reddy and Jones to add a bit of excitement to the otherwise dull fare. If we can get Dembele scoring regularly and some others chipping in, then the 'tactics' can be overlooked somewhat. Last two games at BP have been incredibly dull, but if we had managed a couple of goals and maximum points, we would be in the top end of the league now, which would take away some of the poor taste in the mouth.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 21
GrimRob
October 18, 2017, 5:00pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
We haven't really been much better at home than away for a very long time. We lost 7 times at home in the 2014-2015 season (the year we lost to BR on pens in the play-offs). People despairing at the home performances probably need to look back and find they were doing much the same 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 years ago! In fact if you despaired on the Fishy if you look back far enough the messages will all be there.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 21 - 21
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Slade effect

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.