3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
October 17, 2017, 12:35pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,182
Gold Stars: 51
I think we are crying out for another Hearn/Bogle type striker who can score goals out of nothing.In both cases neither player cost us a lot in cash terms and both at their peak where worth a lot of money to Town if sold. I was hoping Asante would fill this role and that`s still a remote possibility but we clearly need a striker with some pace who can hit the net with some regularity. Our current strikers are all much of a muchness and non will fill the opposition with fear Bogle last season regularly commanded the attention of 2-3 defenders which created space. This area surely must be priority for RS and Wilko?
Logged Offline
Private Message
RichMariner
October 17, 2017, 12:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,108
Gold Stars: 204
Completely agree.

But Slade has signed JJ Hooper and Matt on top of what he knew he already had in Asante, Vernon and Sam Jones.

I don't see us signing another striker before Jan.

And even if he did, who makes way for the extra wages? Asante's out on loan but I doubt Solihull are covering his wages. Vernon?

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 1 - 29
1mickylyons
October 17, 2017, 12:50pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,182
Gold Stars: 51
Quoted from RichMariner
Completely agree.

But Slade has signed JJ Hooper and Matt on top of what he knew he already had in Asante, Vernon and Sam Jones.

I don't see us signing another striker before Jan.

And even if he did, who makes way for the extra wages? Asante's out on loan but I doubt Solihull are covering his wages. Vernon?

I know I hear you BUT we clearly need something of quality up top in addition to what we have it`s blindingly obvious.I would lose either/both of Hooper/Matt unless we see a dramatic improvement they are the type of player that got us relegated previously and for those two see Vernon he has contributed little in his time here. Mcallister I would pay off and if we are never going to play him Tombola also. RS needs to clear the decks what is the point in a 30 odd man squad when at least 8 of them never get a look in? His job is to assemble and manage the team/squad and a quarter of this squad never get played so they are draining the Club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 29
oldun
October 17, 2017, 1:00pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
I noticed that Podge made it into the EFL team of the week. Just saying.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 29
Maringer
October 17, 2017, 1:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -11
Approval: +16,070
Gold Stars: 175
The thing is, it isn't very easy to find cheap strikers who can score 20+ goals a season. It's easier when you're in non-league because it's easier to score goals there. In the league? Not so much.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 29
gtfc98
October 17, 2017, 1:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,023
Gold Stars: 64
Every team is looking for a Hearn/Bogle that's the problem!

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 29
livosnose
October 17, 2017, 1:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,143
Gold Stars: 15
Makes you wonder what would have happened if we had nurtured and developed Andy Cook, far better than we what we currently have now and still only 26. ( Yes he was a bit fat)

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 29
Maringer
October 17, 2017, 1:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -11
Approval: +16,070
Gold Stars: 175
Quoted from livosnose
Makes you wonder what would have happened if we had nurtured and developed Andy Cook, far better than we what we currently have now and still only 26. ( Yes he was a bit fat)

You forgot the word 'lazy'. I seem to recall that he admitted he wasn't fit enough after he left us?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 29
GrimRob
October 17, 2017, 2:30pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,344
Gold Stars: 113
We either need players who create lots of chances, in which case it doesn't matter if your strikers are not always lethal in front of goal. Or we need strikers with a high conversion ration of chances. Unfortunately, we seem to have neither! There are still players who have not been used much yet, and other things could be tried like Dembele could be given a spell up front. There are a few weeks before the transfer window, we might as well chance our arm with some new ideas to see if we stumble into something that works well. There have been plenty of teams where the sum of the parts is much bigger than the individual components. When I look at the current Town line-up it doesn't often resemble a tightly knit team. I don't think it ever has done since the promotion season, even the early PH games we were a work in progress. But it could do, and RS has managed to have good teams in the past, including his last time here

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 8 - 29
denni266
October 17, 2017, 2:42pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.82
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +642
Gold Stars: 125
No chance with slade here.. his interviews with players would probably be... how far can you kick a ball  and how high
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 29
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › We need a Hearn/Bogle

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.