3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
October 17, 2017, 12:35pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,260
Gold Stars: 54
I think we are crying out for another Hearn/Bogle type striker who can score goals out of nothing.In both cases neither player cost us a lot in cash terms and both at their peak where worth a lot of money to Town if sold. I was hoping Asante would fill this role and that`s still a remote possibility but we clearly need a striker with some pace who can hit the net with some regularity. Our current strikers are all much of a muchness and non will fill the opposition with fear Bogle last season regularly commanded the attention of 2-3 defenders which created space. This area surely must be priority for RS and Wilko?
Logged Offline
Private Message
RichMariner
October 17, 2017, 12:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
Completely agree.

But Slade has signed JJ Hooper and Matt on top of what he knew he already had in Asante, Vernon and Sam Jones.

I don't see us signing another striker before Jan.

And even if he did, who makes way for the extra wages? Asante's out on loan but I doubt Solihull are covering his wages. Vernon?

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 1 - 29
1mickylyons
October 17, 2017, 12:50pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from RichMariner
Completely agree.

But Slade has signed JJ Hooper and Matt on top of what he knew he already had in Asante, Vernon and Sam Jones.

I don't see us signing another striker before Jan.

And even if he did, who makes way for the extra wages? Asante's out on loan but I doubt Solihull are covering his wages. Vernon?

I know I hear you BUT we clearly need something of quality up top in addition to what we have it`s blindingly obvious.I would lose either/both of Hooper/Matt unless we see a dramatic improvement they are the type of player that got us relegated previously and for those two see Vernon he has contributed little in his time here. Mcallister I would pay off and if we are never going to play him Tombola also. RS needs to clear the decks what is the point in a 30 odd man squad when at least 8 of them never get a look in? His job is to assemble and manage the team/squad and a quarter of this squad never get played so they are draining the Club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 29
oldun
October 17, 2017, 1:00pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
I noticed that Podge made it into the EFL team of the week. Just saying.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 29
Maringer
October 17, 2017, 1:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
The thing is, it isn't very easy to find cheap strikers who can score 20+ goals a season. It's easier when you're in non-league because it's easier to score goals there. In the league? Not so much.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 29
gtfc98
October 17, 2017, 1:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,038
Gold Stars: 65
Every team is looking for a Hearn/Bogle that's the problem!

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 29
livosnose
October 17, 2017, 1:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,143
Gold Stars: 15
Makes you wonder what would have happened if we had nurtured and developed Andy Cook, far better than we what we currently have now and still only 26. ( Yes he was a bit fat)

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 29
Maringer
October 17, 2017, 1:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from livosnose
Makes you wonder what would have happened if we had nurtured and developed Andy Cook, far better than we what we currently have now and still only 26. ( Yes he was a bit fat)

You forgot the word 'lazy'. I seem to recall that he admitted he wasn't fit enough after he left us?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 29
GrimRob
October 17, 2017, 2:30pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
We either need players who create lots of chances, in which case it doesn't matter if your strikers are not always lethal in front of goal. Or we need strikers with a high conversion ration of chances. Unfortunately, we seem to have neither! There are still players who have not been used much yet, and other things could be tried like Dembele could be given a spell up front. There are a few weeks before the transfer window, we might as well chance our arm with some new ideas to see if we stumble into something that works well. There have been plenty of teams where the sum of the parts is much bigger than the individual components. When I look at the current Town line-up it doesn't often resemble a tightly knit team. I don't think it ever has done since the promotion season, even the early PH games we were a work in progress. But it could do, and RS has managed to have good teams in the past, including his last time here

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 8 - 29
denni266
October 17, 2017, 2:42pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.82
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +635
Gold Stars: 129
No chance with slade here.. his interviews with players would probably be... how far can you kick a ball  and how high
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 29
Quagmire
October 17, 2017, 2:45pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +929
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from RichMariner

And he signed Cardwell too.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 29
October 17, 2017, 2:49pm
Guest User
The board get some stick, and for good reason. But in their defence, they have allowed the manager to bring in Matt, Hooper and Cardwell. We already had Asante, Vernon and you could say Sam Jones (although I prefer him behind the out and out centre forward).so we have plenty of numbers, probably one or even two too many strikers.

The problem is, Cardwell and due to not playing, Asante are something of unknown quantities. If they aren't better than Matt and Hooper, then we have problems as Matt and Hooper are both shite. We don't know the budget the manager has, but I'd have preferred to have added one striker and used the wages given to Cardwell, Matt and Hooper to pay for someone that has a clue where the net is.

I'd have thought we will be able to recall Asante if he hits the ground running and looks the business, maybe keep a close eye on him for the next month as hopefully he builds his fitness up. Let's hope so as the lad will want to start his FL career, he must be frustrated.
Reply: 11 - 29
lew chaterleys lover
October 17, 2017, 4:11pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,547
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from 75
The board get some stick, and for good reason. But in their defence, they have allowed the manager to bring in Matt, Hooper and Cardwell. We already had Asante, Vernon and you could say Sam Jones (although I prefer him behind the out and out centre forward).so we have plenty of numbers, probably one or even two too many strikers.

The problem is, Cardwell and due to not playing, Asante are something of unknown quantities. If they aren't better than Matt and Hooper, then we have problems as Matt and Hooper are both shite. We don't know the budget the manager has, but I'd have preferred to have added one striker and used the wages given to Cardwell, Matt and Hooper to pay for someone that has a clue where the net is.

I'd have thought we will be able to recall Asante if he hits the ground running and looks the business, maybe keep a close eye on him for the next month as hopefully he builds his fitness up. Let's hope so as the lad will want to start his FL career, he must be frustrated.

Every manager keeps saying we need quality not quantity then proceeds to get in more and more players. I just don't get it. None of our strikers are remotely good enough, that is obvious. Jones would be better employed as an attacking midfielder. I would so much prefer it if we could have a substantially smaller squad of better quality players - just what is the point of having a squad of 30 or whatever it is were a good 10 of those will never get near the first team?

I hope Slade starts to put this right at the next available opportunity and can persuade Fenty to invest in a bit of quality in terms of wages.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 29
HertsGTFC
October 17, 2017, 4:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,636
Gold Stars: 217
Compared to the likes of Bogle and Podge for that matter I think the current crop is average at best, not sure about Hearn as he failed at EFL level but I get what the OP is saying.

In defence of them the service they have been getting does not help their cause as punting it up to them whilst bypassing the mid field will only get you so far and it has to be said none of them appear great in the air.

Decide on and stick to a style of play and you might get a better result. Would like to see Cardwell get a go though but doubt Slade would be brave enough to start him unless we have an injury crisis.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 29
moosey_club
October 17, 2017, 4:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220

Every manager keeps saying we need quality not quantity then proceeds to get in more and more players. I just don't get it. None of our strikers are remotely good enough, that is obvious. Jones would be better employed as an attacking midfielder. I would so much prefer it if we could have a substantially smaller squad of better quality players - just what is the point of having a squad of 30 or whatever it is were a good 10 of those will never get near the first team?

I hope Slade starts to put this right at the next available opportunity and can persuade Fenty to invest in a bit of quality in terms of wages.

Do you think it will be him who gets to spend during the next pre season ?
He is on a clear target of achieving promotion isnt he ?  Fails and i dont think he will be here.
If he had a clean slate this time around, ie no existing players sat on contracts who we couldnt shift out for love or money then i think we may have seen a different strategy.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 29
Roast Em Bobby
October 17, 2017, 5:21pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,706
I'd like to see us experiment with combinations of Sam Jones, Dembele and Cardwell.

Jones and Dembele are both good at running at players with the ball but don't get given it to feet in the last third very often - if we played the two of them upfront then it would maybe remove the easy option for our defenders to just launch balls head high into the last third.

Cardwell is a big lad and also very quick, in the limited amount of time I've seen him play I thought he showed some promise, i'd like to see him start making a sustained run of appearances from the bench if Jones and Dembele doesn't work out.

I suspect none of the above will happen though as Slade seems to base everything on "staying in the game" and hoping to get lucky by getting a flick on from the big man. Playing a big man upfront is great if wingers/full backs are regularly getting to the bye-line and putting in crosses but that's just not happening either.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 29
LondonMariner43
October 17, 2017, 5:31pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,891
Gold Stars: 64
Really the posts on here get more bizarre by the day.

Do you think RS and PW are deliberately trying to sign strikers who can't score 20 goals in a season?

There is no such thing as a cast iron guarantee in football and especially in strikers.  Right now Harry Kane is being touted as no3 striker in the world but a year ago he was in a goal drought and questions being asked.

RS has a few options:

1.  Sign a player banging them in in lower league.  Great in theory but chances are there's a dozen or more clubs watching that player, and why would they choose a mid table L2 team?  Ironically we were maybe better placed to sign these players when we were in non league challenging for promotion.  We could get a player from the tier below who would see us as a step up, a chance of promotion and being in the shop window for the next move.  Now it's a big gamble to take a player from the 6th tier to L2 and one doing well in 5th tier will set their sights higher than us.

2. Sign a player who didn't quite make it at a higher level.  Again, a risk.  It might come off but it might not.  

3. Sign a promising youngster on loan from a bigger club.  Same as for no2.

4. Bring someone from youths.  Same as for no2.

5. Sign someone doing well in L2.  Why would they join us if doing well already in L2?

Over the years we have had some success with all these options but every club is looking for the same bit of alchemy.  

In any case, who is to say that none of the strikers currently on the books won't be that 20 goal striker.  Strikers rarely hit the ground running and we may yet see one or more of them come good.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 29
Garth
October 17, 2017, 5:32pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from Maringer
The thing is, it isn't very easy to find cheap strikers who can score 20+ goals a season. It's easier when you're in non-league because it's easier to score goals there. In the league? Not so much.

Could have got Amond easily
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 29
October 17, 2017, 5:43pm
Guest User
Quoted from Garth

Could have got Amond easily

Yes, agree. If Newport can sign him, I'm sure we could have. He probably is on a decent wage, the reason he left us. But we're paying six centre forwards a wage, none of them are anywhere near as good as Amond. But Amond isn't six foot plus, but let's just say he doesn't fit Russ's player profile.
Reply: 18 - 29
mariner91
October 17, 2017, 6:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,249
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from livosnose

The same Andy Cook that's scored 4 this season in the National League in a side that has only managed 11 goals in 15 games with him being their main striker? No thanks.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 29
HertsGTFC
October 17, 2017, 6:52pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
I'd like to see us experiment with combinations of Sam Jones, Dembele and Cardwell.

Jones and Dembele are both good at running at players with the ball but don't get given it to feet in the last third very often - if we played the two of them upfront then it would maybe remove the easy option for our defenders to just launch balls head high into the last third.

Cardwell is a big lad and also very quick, in the limited amount of time I've seen him play I thought he showed some promise, i'd like to see him start making a sustained run of appearances from the bench if Jones and Dembele doesn't work out.

I suspect none of the above will happen though as Slade seems to base everything on "staying in the game" and hoping to get lucky by getting a flick on from the big man. Playing a big man upfront is great if wingers/full backs are regularly getting to the bye-line and putting in crosses but that's just not happening either.

If he's determined to play wingers (or players who are supposed to be wingers" then we need a "clever" player who can drop off at the right time in the box, none of ours currently fit the bill

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 29
LondonMariner43
October 17, 2017, 8:44pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,891
Gold Stars: 64
Well we seem to have scored some goals today
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 29
Roast Em Bobby
October 17, 2017, 8:48pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,706
Strikers haven’t
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 29
grimsby pete
October 17, 2017, 9:59pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Why do we need a Hearn or Bogle when we have a Dembele  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 29
1mickylyons
October 18, 2017, 6:42am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete
Why do we need a Hearn or Bogle when we have a Dembele  

Hopefully Pete you are right he got his first ala Hearn and he is off and running long may it continue Great 3 points at Cheltenham a team who seem to have had our number for a while and seeing that twit Pell`s celebration makes it all the sweeter.UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 29
HertsGTFC
October 18, 2017, 10:11am

Barley Wine Drinker
Did Pell give the Town fans "the big in" again ?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 29
ginnywings
October 18, 2017, 10:49am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Did Pell give the Town fans "the big in" again ?

Did the ear cupping thing. Notice he has the full sleeve tattoo like a 'proper' footballer. twit!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 29
HertsGTFC
October 18, 2017, 11:02am

Barley Wine Drinker
I read somewhere that his best friend is John-Joe Shelvy peas in a pod them two I reckon.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 29
GTFCH
October 18, 2017, 11:04am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +79
Don’t wish injury on any player but I was secretly delighted when he was decked by one of our players last night and was then later subbed. I think he has scored against us for Cheltenham every time since he left us. He would have been useful to them in the dying moments of last nights game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 29
HertsGTFC
October 18, 2017, 11:22am

Barley Wine Drinker
Though I also don't  wish to see any player injured the only issue I have with Pell getting clattered is that it's 3 games over due.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 29
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › We need a Hearn/Bogle

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.