8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
October 17, 2017, 12:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Didn't Mills play left-back earlier in the season as well in that game in which he picked up a red card?

Most full-backs can play on both sides if necessary, but I remember hating playing on the left when I was a kid. I'd do it if required, but my left foot was flipping useless for anything but a weak hack up the line and short passes! Hopefully professionals will do a bit better.  

Simple fact is that there are always going to be a lot more right-backs around than left-backs because so many more people are right-footed. Dixon has had a bit of a wobbly spell, but I'd expect him to remain first choice. His record playing at a higher level would indicate he should be capable of playing reliably at this level once he settles down.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 79
Cloudy
October 17, 2017, 12:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Maringer
Didn't Mills play left-back earlier in the season as well in that game in which he picked up a red card?

Most full-backs can play on both sides if necessary, but I remember hating playing on the left when I was a kid. I'd do it if required, but my left foot was flipping useless for anything but a weak hack up the line and short passes! Hopefully professionals will do a bit better.  

Simple fact is that there are always going to be a lot more right-backs around than left-backs because so many more people are right-footed. Dixon has had a bit of a wobbly spell, but I'd expect him to remain first choice. His record playing at a higher level would indicate he should be capable of playing reliably at this level once he settles down.

Dixon has had some very poor patches in quite a few games but at both Chesterfield and Port Vale i thought he did very well
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 79
RichMariner
October 17, 2017, 12:34pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
Quoted from LondonMariner43
Quoted from above: "I wish I could believe we're building for the future, but I just don't see it. Our entire back four could retire this summer."

So on the one hand let's criticize Slade because the back 4 is too old and then criticize him for signing a young defender.

I sometimes think Hurst nailed it when criticised Town fans.  He achieved one of the hardest jobs in football getting us back in the League despite 5 yrs of fans saying he should be sacked.  We are seeing now what a good manager he is.

The bit you quoted above was by me, and it's been taken a little out of context.

The point I made still stands - that our entire defence could retire this summer - but I accept that Hall-Johnson could be a player for next season.

If he is, then great. But that's not the vibe I get from a 9-month contract offer.

On the face of it, he's a back-up signing, nothing more. I hope he impresses in his time with us, does well and earns a new contract next season, but based on what's gone before, I don't see that happening.

I'm not calling for Slade to be sacked - and I was a staunch supporter of Hurst. Maybe I'm just fed up of seeing so many players come and go.

It's difficult to attach yourself to any players at the moment. It's also startling to note that after James McKeown our next longest serving player is someone like James Berrett (nothing against the bloke).

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 32 - 79
Mariner93er
October 17, 2017, 5:30pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,674
Gold Stars: 28
I don't think Dixon's as bad as he's made out to be. From what I've seen, Woodford offers no protection in front of him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 79
Swansea_Mariner
October 17, 2017, 5:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,387
Gold Stars: 62
In all my years supporting town I can only think of Magnay who seemed assured in both fullback positions and Kevin Jobling was one of those players who seemed capable of 'doing a job' almost anywhere in the team.

Any others in the last 20 odd years? Can't remember Macca venturing to the other side of the pitch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 79
Abdul19
October 17, 2017, 6:17pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
Paul Bignot?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 79
mariner91
October 17, 2017, 6:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,249
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
In all my years supporting town I can only think of Magnay who seemed assured in both fullback positions and Kevin Jobling was one of those players who seemed capable of 'doing a job' almost anywhere in the team.

Any others in the last 20 odd years? Can't remember Macca venturing to the other side of the pitch.

Gary Croft?

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 79
Posh Harry
October 17, 2017, 8:11pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,327
Gold Stars: 34
Tommy Watson could play at full back or midfield.

Loved Tommy Watson. Never stopped running. Real terrier. Not great technically but you always need a few who are willing to put a proper shift in when they put on the shirt.

UTFM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 79
ginnywings
October 17, 2017, 8:24pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
I'm a bit baffled (not difficult) about our recruitment policy. Were we looking for a young,versatile right back and brought some in to trial with that position in mind, or was he offered to us by an agent for a trial and impressed, so we signed him regardless? Did we have to get some out before we brought him in?

We seem to be signing a few players who are free agents after a trial period. We also seem to be having a lot of players in that have been at Norwich, presumably with the Wilkinson link.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 79
Tinymariner
October 17, 2017, 10:16pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
Straight out on loan according to RS, to National League side.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 79
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Reece Hall-Johnson

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.