8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
October 16, 2017, 5:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,490
Gold Stars: 185
Before this new lad was signed, we had 3 full-backs in the squad to cover 2 positions. This has been commented on in the past when people have rightly complained about the imbalance of the squad. We don't even have any obvious players who could fill-in at full-back - you'd be talking about playing central defenders there out of position as I don't think any of our wide players have the attributes to be defenders (Bolarinwa aside, perhaps?).

We're actually a little lucky that when Mills was out injured, our 36 year-old right-back didn't pick up a knock as that wouldn't have been any sort of a surprise.

Despite this, we now sign another full-back (who can also apparently play elsewhere) and it's suddenly a poor decision?

Can't help but feel that the criticism of this particular signing is just some looking for any sort of stick with which to beat Slade. It's his responsibility to make sure we have cover across all positions so this signing resolves one of our issues at the back, especially if he has the potential to add some much-needed pace. Obviously, an issue of his own making when he didn't sign enough defenders at the start of the season!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 79
LondonMariner43
October 16, 2017, 5:40pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,942
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from above: "I wish I could believe we're building for the future, but I just don't see it. Our entire back four could retire this summer."

So on the one hand let's criticize Slade because the back 4 is too old and then criticize him for signing a young defender.

I sometimes think Hurst nailed it when criticised Town fans.  He achieved one of the hardest jobs in football getting us back in the League despite 5 yrs of fans saying he should be sacked.  We are seeing now what a good manager he is.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 79
Mariners_15
October 16, 2017, 5:54pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +17 / -4
Approval: +538
Gold Stars: 1
I wondered if he's being lined up to play left back perhaps with Dixon struggling for form at the minute? He says he prefers right back but is described as a versatile defender...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 79
Abdul19
October 16, 2017, 7:27pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,552
Gold Stars: 215
Yeah I was wondering that. Give us a bit more attacking threat from full back too.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 79
gtfc98
October 16, 2017, 9:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 68
Apparently he played up front for Braintree?

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 79
GrimRob
October 16, 2017, 9:18pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from LondonMariner43
Davies won't last for ever.  Sounds like one eye on next season.

That's why he signed a one year deal then  

I can't honestly see Slade thinking that far ahead, he's for now. Maybe as a squad player, but one for this season.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 25 - 79
gtfc98
October 17, 2017, 5:16am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 68

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 79
1mickylyons
October 17, 2017, 7:11am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,382
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from RichMariner
I welcome the player to the club and hope he's a success. Really, I do. Of course I do.

But excuse me if I think he'll just become yet another member of a squad who probably won't make more than a dozen appearances this season (possibly all from the bench).

An eye for next season, yes, possibly. I can agree with that.

However, Bignot signed a shed load of players while we already had a shed load of players under contract - with an eye for this season - and it's for this 'over-signing', we're led to believe, that he was given the old heave-ho.

And the dire football didn't help his cause, of course.

Now, is it fair to say that Slade is just doing exactly the same thing? Signing a shed load of players to replace another batch of players that haven't even started their careers at Grimsby yet?

And the football's dire.

Bignot was termed 'clueless' because he was young. Watching this Slade side is just like watching Bignot's side, except with more journeymen.

Fenty sanctioned all those Bignot signings. He's sanctioning loads more under Slade. Fans often wonder where that Bogle money went. We spunked it on all those players you don't remember from last season, and you won't remember half of these next season either.

I wish I could believe we're building for the future, but I just don't see it. Our entire back four could retire this summer.

No wonder none of us feel like there's a connection between the players and fans any more. I don't know who's coming, going or already been here for a year and haven't noticed them.

The right thing to have done with the money would have been to bring in 3-4 quality players on 2-3 year deals we got 2 with Jones/Osborne like you say the rest appears to have been wasted.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 79
MarinerMal
October 17, 2017, 8:07am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +784
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from Maringer
Before this new lad was signed, we had 3 full-backs in the squad to cover 2 positions. This has been commented on in the past when people have rightly complained about the imbalance of the squad. We don't even have any obvious players who could fill-in at full-back - you'd be talking about playing central defenders there out of position as I don't think any of our wide players have the attributes to be defenders (Bolarinwa aside, perhaps?).

We're actually a little lucky that when Mills was out injured, our 36 year-old right-back didn't pick up a knock as that wouldn't have been any sort of a surprise.

Despite this, we now sign another full-back (who can also apparently play elsewhere) and it's suddenly a poor decision?

Can't help but feel that the criticism of this particular signing is just some looking for any sort of stick with which to beat Slade. It's his responsibility to make sure we have cover across all positions so this signing resolves one of our issues at the back, especially if he has the potential to add some much-needed pace. Obviously, an issue of his own making when he didn't sign enough defenders at the start of the season!

I think most people realise we needed another full-back. It's just of the 3 full backs, you mentioned, two of them were right-backs and one was a left-back. Therefore, logically thinking, most people expected us to sign a left back not another right back. So if our left-back is injured we still have the problem of playing someone out of position. So it may not seem, on the face of it, that this signing solves the issue you brought up.

By the sound of the it the guy seems versatile and could possibly fill in at left-back, I don't know, I haven't heard he can but I don't know anything about the guy.

So for me, it's quite logical for people to question the signing until we know different. It's a football forum it's what we do.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 79
louth_in_the_south
October 17, 2017, 10:15am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,672
Gold Stars: 94
Isn’t Ben Davies a more than capable left back if need be ?

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 79
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Reece Hall-Johnson

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.