4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Abdul19
October 16, 2017, 11:21pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
We've conceded once in three games. I'd be very surprised if Slade makes wholesale changes to the defence.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 34
Tommy
October 17, 2017, 12:04am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from gtfc98
Surprised at the amount of people saying we should drop Berrett. Don’t think done a lot wrong all season.

He hasn't done a great deal wrong because he hasn't really done much to get wrong. He's not an awful player and he's not been stand-out bad, he just has no effect on a game.

He wins a few headers but so would Jamille Matt if you put him in CM. Berrett stays in (team) shape and he doesn't take risks which I guess is why Slade likes him. But he's too slow to move the ball on, doesn't see a pass quick enough and doesn't play incisive passes to break through lines.

I've got nothing against him and do think he's more combative this year than he was last season. But in my opinion he hides when we're in possession and doesn't do enough to get on the ball, and doesn't do enough in 90 minutes of football.

We need better if we're considering a challenge for the play-offs.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 34
Corkyefes
October 17, 2017, 12:10am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: -117
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from mariner91

Doesn't change the fact that you've got nothing covering out wide, particularly on the left where you'd be relying solely on 37 year old Collins. It would be defensive suicide.

Again, it's  all about opinions but I disagree again.

When we attack, the two midfielders in Rose and Berrett sit and allow the front 5 to press on.

Then if hit on the break, we have got another cover to get across to the left or right, however we are attacked.

I would see our defensive positioning like this.

McKeown

Mills    Osbourne    Collins

<-----   Rose   Berrett  ---->

The players (arrows) will cover subject to which side the attack comes.

Effectively, if we get caughtee have 5 to cover. That's actually more than what we have playing the 442.

Attack wise, I would suggest it would be like this.

Rose     Berrett

Bolly        Dembele       DJ
⬇️               ⬇️              ⬇️

Jones
                     ⬇️

Rose and Berett stay and operate around the half way line to pick up any second balls and to cover on a counter attack.

Collins and Osbourne are experienced enough to position themselves correctly and Mills has pace (So has Osbourne).

I cannot see how you can say it is defensive suicide, when effectly we have 5 back (when needed)
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 34
fishyfan
October 17, 2017, 9:48am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / -1
Approval: -120
Quoted from gtfc98
Surprised at the amount of people saying we should drop Berrett. Don’t think done a lot wrong all season.

All he does is pass the ball sideways and backwards, need some creativity in the middle of the park. Dont need him and summerfield playing as they both do that but summerfield puts himself about as well berrett doesnt.

Id even rather have wooldford centre mid with summerfield, definitely not quick enough to play out wide, especially with dixon behind him we must have the slowest left side in the league, dont see why Jaiyesimi doesnt get a start always looks exciting when he comes on. If he isnt going to get a chance what is the point in him being there.

Id start with this,

McKeown, Davies Clarke Collins Dixon (still not a fan) , DJ Summerfield Woolford Kelly, Jones and Dembele up top (only because the rest of our strikers are terrible and painful, our best hope gone out on loan even when not match fit).

Look on the bright surely it can only get better after saturday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 34
mariner91
October 17, 2017, 6:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,254
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from Corkyefes

Again, it's  all about opinions but I disagree again.

When we attack, the two midfielders in Rose and Berrett sit and allow the front 5 to press on.

Then if hit on the break, we have got another cover to get across to the left or right, however we are attacked.

I would see our defensive positioning like this.

McKeown

Mills    Osbourne    Collins

<-----   Rose   Berrett  ---->

The players (arrows) will cover subject to which side the attack comes.

Effectively, if we get caughtee have 5 to cover. That's actually more than what we have playing the 442.

Attack wise, I would suggest it would be like this.

Rose     Berrett

Bolly        Dembele       DJ
⬇️               ⬇️              ⬇️

Jones
                     ⬇️

Rose and Berett stay and operate around the half way line to pick up any second balls and to cover on a counter attack.

Collins and Osbourne are experienced enough to position themselves correctly and Mills has pace (So has Osbourne).

I cannot see how you can say it is defensive suicide, when effectly we have 5 back (when needed)

Do you honestly think that we only have 4 players defending at the minute? We have two very obvious banks of four so in reality when we're defending we've got 8 plus the goalkeeper.

Your explanation doesn't make it any clearer, you're saying you'd rely on central midfielders to do all the covering out wide so what happens if the other team switches it quickly? It would be defensive suicide like I said before.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 34
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.