1mickylyons
October 16, 2017, 1:37pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from moosey_club

That would be my biggest concern about putting in so much additional funding ourselves to get the FL funding....the Ryan Bennett and John Oster payday scenario's dont exist anymore do they ? A standout player can be taken from under our noses way before he gets near the first team for next to sweet FA.

The fact i mentioned Ryan Bennett and John Oster also gives an indication of how succesful our youth system hasnt been....Bennett 7/8 years ago....Oster ...20 yrs ago ... are the only 2 next level players we have nurtured/ developed, and arguably a talent like Osters is natural in many respects, we were just lucky he lived relatively locally in Skeggy.  

While we have produced some regular first teamers in the intervening years, North, Bore, Hegarty for instance none have gone upwards from here have they ?

As far as i can tell, the main beneficiaries of our youth system have been Clee Town and Grimsby Borough who seem to hoover up the rejects each year.

Of the current YT's who have gone pro i think Clifton was locally regarded as the standout player of his age yet he doesnt get a look in and will inevitably leave the club with very few first team games....a few years behind him the local outstanding player was Adam Drury who via Man City now plays for GY Borough i think.

If the system is to continue then i think the aims need to be clearly defined....if its a basis to develop our own players to support the first team then on recent history we are wasting our time as they are either not good enough or they dont get the opportunity....if its about creating an income stream by selling on talent then again the last 20 yrs would suggest its hardly worth it and with the EPPP in place future income off these kind of sales would be reduced anyway.  

Home grown players give you extra heart and it`s been lacking in our teams for a while.The likes of Clifton need to be blooded and given a run of games unless they are woeful and that it beggars why were they signed in the first place.

Charlie l`anson and Brad Wood both played a few games
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 21
arryarryarry
October 16, 2017, 5:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from ginnywings
Here's the article, though i was surprised to see it say he had been dismissed from Walsall as i don't think that is the case. Anyway...

http://www.leaguemanagers.com/managers/neil-woods/

https://www.saddlers.co.uk/news/2016/october/neil-woods-set-to-depart/
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 21
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Catching up

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.