3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Southwark Mariner
October 14, 2017, 11:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,545
Gold Stars: 82
The club have launched a new group to help raise funding and awareness for the youth team.

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2017/october/youth-development-association-relaunched/

It mentions that we now receive £390k from the league just to fund our youth setup. This is a huge amount of money we've not had whilst in non-league (I think about a third of our playing budget from the conference). I'd just like to point out that mid-table is an achievement for a club that has been outside of the league for six years.
Logged Online
Private Message
TAGG
October 15, 2017, 12:10am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,966
Gold Stars: 123
Whats the point in a youth system?? we never bring any through.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 21
KingstonMariner
October 15, 2017, 12:29am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
£390k from the League providing it raises £155k itself (which is where the YDA comes in). Which is a heck of a budget in total.

Maybe this funding might be the answer long-term as to why we haven't produced youth players who've really broken into the first team squad. Or maybe managers are just reluctant to take a risk, given the vulnerable nature of their position. How do we get young players to the position where managers don't see it as a risk to play them?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 21
Cloudy
October 15, 2017, 9:24am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Like most I would love to see young local lads getting through to the first team.

The committee seems very much inside weighted and I also think makes the Trust less important as it undoubtedly is a clash and splits demands on fans money and involvement.

The cynic in me........
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 21
MuddyWaters
October 15, 2017, 10:05am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Can't see us raising £155k with a few scratch cards and a quiz night.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 21
October 15, 2017, 10:33am
Guest User
Youth? I'll sort it straight away:

Drop Berrett, start Clifton.
Reply: 5 - 21
KingstonMariner
October 15, 2017, 10:42am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Can't see us raising £155k with a few scratch cards and a quiz night.

It's a tough task. 3 grand a week is going some. It'll take a big effort. I'm glad the Trust isn't leading this one because I think it would be a diversion from what should, in my opinion, be the main strategy.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 21
barralad
October 15, 2017, 12:02pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from Cloudy
Like most I would love to see young local lads getting through to the first team.

The committee seems very much inside weighted and I also think makes the Trust less important as it undoubtedly is a clash and splits demands on fans money and involvement.

The cynic in me........

I'll be charitable and assume you didn't see the paragraph which said there will be joint ventures and that a Trust rep. is on the group.
The very existence of this YDA gives the Trust more time and energy to focus on the matters that a lot of folk think we should be concentrating on.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 21
headingly_mariner
October 15, 2017, 12:08pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
Should those that make the decisions at the club not be paying for this?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 21
Cloudy
October 15, 2017, 2:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from barralad

I'll be charitable and assume you didn't see the paragraph which said there will be joint ventures and that a Trust rep. is on the group.
The very existence of this YDA gives the Trust more time and energy to focus on the matters that a lot of folk think we should be concentrating on.

What do 'folk' think the Trust should be concentrating on?? That's a genuine question btw.

I think a great start would be the £30kpa the Trust pay the club should be ringfenced and paid directly into the youth set up as a start because at present the impression I get is it just goes into the black hole to run the club. Happy to be corrected by those with more knowledge. Barralad can you shed light on what happens to the money?
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 21
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Catching up

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.