10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Gaffer58
October 15, 2017, 5:55pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,035
Gold Stars: 31
Well Slade will have passed some coaching badges, don't know to what level, like all managers, so from where do you get a manager "who thinks outside the box" and they are all schooled the same way. Hence in theory they all play the same way, as mentioned many years ago how would a Brian Clough, Bill Shankly type ever get a job today. Has a mate at work who coached Lincoln City youths, two things he said struck me, the first they played Leeds youths and he said every one of them was 6 foot plus, and on one course the instructor asked them what to do in the last 5 minutes when 1 goal up, the manual says " get it into the corner flag" , I rest my case.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 95
RichMariner
October 15, 2017, 6:20pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
I'm losing interest in Town faster than ever before because the way we play is never going to dominate another team. It feels like we'll never give a team a good thumping because our approach just doesn't allow for it.

So when we come up against a team that's asking for a thumping, we'll probably scrape a narrow victory, and it won't be much fun to watch.

It looks for all the world that we're destined to finish exactly where we are now - mid-table.

I'd actually be satisfied with that if I saw something to cling onto for the future, but as a previous poster has mentioned, Slade builds squads for today because he'll know better than anyone that clubs don't give managers time.

Bignot thought he had time - he thought he was building something for the future - and he was sacked after five months.

So what we have now is a manager who isn't really looking to next season, or concerned about bringing Clifton through, but turning to old heads like Clarke and Woolford to do a steady job and see where that gets us.

We might see steady progress under Slade if we give him time. If we're still mid-table playing an awful brand of football this time next season then I'd consider giving him the sack.

Getting rid now won't solve anything, especially as I have zero confidence in Fenty finding the right sort of replacement.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 51 - 95
Swansea_Mariner
October 15, 2017, 6:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,386
Gold Stars: 62
The gates clearly show the level of interest is waining, were down about 1000 bums on seats from last season and gradually slipping back to our non league average which was less than 4k a season.

As for a four year contract, jeez.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 95
MuddyWaters
October 15, 2017, 7:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from RichMariner

Getting rid now won't solve anything, especially as I have zero confidence in Fenty finding the right sort of replacement.

Can't think why  
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 95
ginnywings
October 15, 2017, 7:09pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from RichMariner
I'm losing interest in Town faster than ever before because the way we play is never going to dominate another team. It feels like we'll never give a team a good thumping because our approach just doesn't allow for it.

So when we come up against a team that's asking for a thumping, we'll probably scrape a narrow victory, and it won't be much fun to watch.

It looks for all the world that we're destined to finish exactly where we are now - mid-table.

I'd actually be satisfied with that if I saw something to cling onto for the future, but as a previous poster has mentioned, Slade builds squads for today because he'll know better than anyone that clubs don't give managers time.

Bignot thought he had time - he thought he was building something for the future - and he was sacked after five months.

So what we have now is a manager who isn't really looking to next season, or concerned about bringing Clifton through, but turning to old heads like Clarke and Woolford to do a steady job and see where that gets us.

We might see steady progress under Slade if we give him time. If we're still mid-table playing an awful brand of football this time next season then I'd consider giving him the sack.

That's exactly what we were saying yesterday. Even the worst sides get it right now and again and give someone a thumping. I never feel we will do that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 95
ginnywings
October 15, 2017, 7:14pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
The gates clearly show the level of interest is waining, were down about 1000 bums on seats from last season and gradually slipping back to our non league average which was less than 4k a season.

Is it four years? JF wouldn't say at the press conference to announce his signing. We knew what Hurst and Bignot were on; 6 month rolling. Seems strange he glossed over the question and quickly moved on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 95
lew chaterleys lover
October 15, 2017, 7:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,548
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

We often got very poor home  crowds when we were at Championship level so I wouldn't expect gates to be much higher as we settle back to being in the league.

If we can get a run going, we will have better crowds, but then only between 5-6000 if we are lucky.

Yesterdays game was a bit flat; Crawley doesn't set pulses racing, and both sides served up poor fare but that happens in football. We were pretty good for the first part of the game, but when the goal didn't materialise it went downhill. Still plenty of time left for us to be involved in the fight for the play offs.
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 95
Shilts
October 15, 2017, 7:41pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / -1
Approval: +121
My greatest concern with Slade is the second season.

We're a safe and boring team now, we won't go up and we won't go down. He won't be sacked. The slim hope I and many cling to is the second season success he seems to build, as he did in his last tenure.

But you look to next season and let's presume a fairy world where everyone u want out goes and those you want stay.....

Mckeown. Not good enough for a promotion side. Davis,  Clarke and Collins ALL another year older. Dixon not good enough. Berrett, Summerfield and Woolford not good enough.  Forwards all not good enough.  So that's leaves Dembele, likely to leave  and Jones!!!!!

We would need an entire new squad, just to look half decent. Unless he can pull 10 rabbits out hat signings, who trusts him to manage 2 good signings, let alone 10!!!!

"Nothing says party like a retro Ciba Geigy Town shirt bobbing away on an inflatable flamingo."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 95
gtfc98
October 16, 2017, 1:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,038
Gold Stars: 65
Were we really that bad though? I'm not doubting it's was a dire game but you have to remember Crawley have a decent away record and we really should have taken all 3 points with the penalty.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 95
friskneymariner
October 16, 2017, 2:14pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from gtfc98
Were we really that bad though? I'm not doubting it's was a dire game but you have to remember Crawley have a decent away record and we really should have taken all 3 points with the penalty.

Yes we were,we had no attacking threat what so ever.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 95
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.