Swansea_Mariner
October 14, 2017, 9:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,387
Gold Stars: 62
Quoted from Cloudy

How many times have you seen us this season Swansea?

Only live at Newport if we're not counting the Ifollow lol. I'll be at Whaddon Road on Tuesday though if you want a pint?

Seriously I can't face travelling too far to see Sladeball i'm just not a fan so I'll just see the local matches this season, unless I'm close with work.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 95
TAGG
October 14, 2017, 9:13pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,981
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from Perkins
Slade? One word. KNOB.

Would he not be a KNOF
Knows Nothing Of Football

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 95
ginnywings
October 14, 2017, 9:17pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from IlkleyMariner

Don't think anybody in their right mind want to see pretty football and get us relegated.
Tony Pullis has kept WBA in the Premiershite by playing the most appalling football
Personally I don't want to watch non-league footy again.

Fair points and i also think Rob has some valid points. You can't please everybody all the time and there will always be naysayers. Even the great Sir Alan had his detractors. I'm not and wasn't a fan of Slade and his pragmatic style of play but fully appreciate that this is League 2 and the standard is not that good generally. I thought one of the best looking sides i watched last season was Exeter and they are still riding high now having sold their best two players. Maybe given the 72 years Tidsdale has had at their club, Slade may get us to that stage eventually, but at the moment it is boring, plain and simple. The only way fans will tolerate that style of play long term is if the team is scoring and winning regularly. Some managers and some teams just generate a buzz, but Slade never has for me, even when he nearly got us promoted last time. It seems many are in agreement but everyone has an opinion. You seem to be equating "pretty football" with relegation for some reason?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 95
moosey_club
October 14, 2017, 9:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from GrimRob
Since the dawn of the Fishy, every manager we have ever had has at one or other time been accused of being a tactical pygmy. But many of them have gone on to other clubs and achieved successes of sorts.

Challenged !!!

Not sure when The Fishcake was born but at a quick memory recall of managers but no doubt missing one or two along the way ( and not in time order either before someone starts    ) ....

Bignot
Hurst
Scott
Woods
Newell
Buckley  ( all three times )
Slade Mk 1
Law
Laws
Lawrence
Rodger
Groves
Roberts
Lyons
Nichol
Booth
Newman
Kerr

out of that list i can only think of Brian Laws who actually went on to "achieve success" somewhere else.....

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 95
GrimRob
October 14, 2017, 9:37pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from ginnywings

Fair points and i also think Rob has some valid points. You can't please everybody all the time and there will always be naysayers. Even the great Sir Alan had his detractors. I'm not and wasn't a fan of Slade and his pragmatic style of play but fully appreciate that this is League 2 and the standard is not that good generally. I thought one of the best looking sides i watched last season was Exeter and they are still riding high now having sold their best two players. Maybe given the 72 years Tidsdale has had at their club, Slade may get us to that stage eventually, but at the moment it is boring, plain and simple. The only way fans will tolerate that style of play long term is if the team is scoring and winning regularly. Some managers and some teams just generate a buzz, but Slade never has for me, even when he nearly got us promoted last time. It seems many are in agreement but everyone has an opinion. You seem to be equating "pretty football" with relegation for some reason?

I agree it's pretty boring at the moment. What I really meant that playing a different way wouldn't necessarily mean better results, and it might even result in worse ones. I just can't see this squad making it into the top 7 no matter how we play, but the manager's remit is to try and get as many points as possible because that is the only stat he is judged on. Mid-table seasons are boring, I miss the buzz of looking for other team's results and trying to figure out what we need to get in the top X.

Assuming we finish in comfortable midtable then the only question really is to stick or twist for next season. Continuity generally seems the best ingredient for success than choping and changing, but we're only one bad season away from the trapdoor and making a bad choice is inherently risky.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 24 - 95
sonofmadeleymariner
October 14, 2017, 9:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,399
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from moosey_club

Challenged !!!

Not sure when The Fishcake was born but at a quick memory recall of managers but no doubt missing one or two along the way ( and not in time order either before someone starts    ) ....

Bignot
Hurst
Scott
Woods
Newell
Slade Mk 1
Law
Laws
Lawrence
Rodger
Groves
Roberts
Lyons
Nichol
Booth
Newman
Kerr

out of that list i can only think of Brian Laws who actually went on to "achieve success" somewhere else.....

and Hurst currently.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 95
GrimRob
October 14, 2017, 9:46pm

Quoted from moosey_club

Challenged !!!

Bignot
Hurst
Scott
Woods
Newell
Slade Mk 1
Law
Laws
Lawrence
Rodger
Groves
Roberts
Lyons
Nichol
Booth
Newman
Kerr

Hurst and Slade have both got better jobs after leaving here so they have moved upwards in the job market. They were here early in their careers and have done quite well since. Alan Buckley was employed by Lincoln and Rochdale after leaving us in the early Fishy days, so he was hardly unemployable, although age was not on his side.Woods and Rodger were never manager material in the first place and we made a mistake in promoting them. Newell and Rob Scottt are the only ones who have sunk without a trace, but I am not sure either's departure was anything to do with their coaching abilities.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 26 - 95
MuddyWaters
October 14, 2017, 9:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from GrimRob

I agree it's pretty boring at the moment. What I really meant that playing a different way wouldn't necessarily mean better results, and it might even result in worse ones. I just can't see this squad making it into the top 7 no matter how we play, but the manager's remit is to try and get as many points as possible because that is the only stat he is judged on. Mid-table seasons are boring, I miss the buzz of looking for other team's results and trying to figure out what we need to get in the top X.

Assuming we finish in comfortable midtable then the only question really is to stick or twist for next season. Continuity generally seems the best ingredient for success than choping and changing, but we're only one bad season away from the trapdoor and making a bad choice is inherently risky.

But we were mid-table under Bignot but I can't remember being as bored as I have been at the last 3 home games.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 95
GrimRob
October 14, 2017, 9:53pm

Quoted from MuddyWaters

But we were mid-table under Bignot but I can't remember being as bored as I have been at the last 3 home games.

I am sure if you go back and look back over the last few years (and all the messages are still there) people have regularly been complaining at the lack of entertainment - under Hurst and Slade anyway. MB maybe not, although performances under him were quite erratic.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 28 - 95
ginnywings
October 14, 2017, 9:53pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from GrimRob

Not much to disagree with there but if we are going to be marooned in mid table, can't we do it with a better brand of football? If it had been end to end today and finished 2-2, i think most would have been happier with a point in that scenario.

Maybe we just need one or two more ingredients and to be fair, Slade has only had about 20 odd games in charge so far. I hope Asante and Osborne will shake us up a bit, if and when they return.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 95
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Slade

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.