8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
October 12, 2017, 1:32pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,257
Gold Stars: 54
Just wondering people`s thoughts on the business of loanees over the years and how do you make the move work best for Town,parent club and player.

The last few years have seen a lot of loanees brought in but then you are left wondering why as whichever Manager has seldom played them.Then when they play they are disappointing and we probably have better players already at the Club? I would like to see us go more for young hungry players from higher up for example Henderson with the promise we will play them.We are currently crying out for a young hungry striker,pacy CB and a commanding keeper we probably don`t have the funds to buy them so the loan market would appear to be the best option.

Some stand out ones I remember doing well
Dean Henderson Made a Beasant like impact commanding the back line and very good distribution
Connor Townsend made a massive impact and eventually saw him get a move to a Club in League one
Martin Patterson Brought in with I think Logan and Pulis by AB all young players but dramatically improved a poor side and went on to good things.
John Oster Brought him in and he had the x factor to create chances and weighed in with some vital goals himself
Andy Todd Kept us up
Dave Beasant IMHO the best short term loan signing we ever had
Ivano Very memorable period for most Town fans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Mariner_09
October 12, 2017, 1:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,189
Gold Stars: 54
Jamie Devitt nearly single handedly kept us up during his first loan spell.

Our results dropped off dramatically when Nathan Pond left us after his loan spell during that season.

They’re the other two that spring to mind.

Not sure we need a new keeper. For me, Macca has been one of our best players this season despite a couple of mistakes recently. Would be very harsh. Agree about the other two though.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 71
Abdul19
October 12, 2017, 2:06pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
Off the top of my head, Michael Appleton, David Nielsen, Luke Cornwall and Ross Hannah.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 71
pizzzza
October 12, 2017, 2:07pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,657
Gold Stars: 135
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Wasn't a loanee though was he?

As for stand-outs... how about Steve Kabba?
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 71
Abdul19
October 12, 2017, 2:12pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
Wayne Henderson and Barry Conlon. Without those 2 we'd have been relegated into non league. Can you imagine?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 71
mariner83
October 12, 2017, 3:00pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Gold Stars: 5
Martin Pringle - shame his Town (and full) career was cut short  
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 5 - 71
Les Brechin
October 12, 2017, 3:04pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,644
Gold Stars: 168
Didn't Super Clive come here on loan first?

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 71
HertsGTFC
October 12, 2017, 3:16pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Just wondering people`s thoughts on the business of loanees over the years and how do you make the move work best for Town,parent club and player.

The last few years have seen a lot of loanees brought in but then you are left wondering why as whichever Manager has seldom played them.Then when they play they are disappointing and we probably have better players already at the Club? I would like to see us go more for young hungry players from higher up for example Henderson with the promise we will play them.We are currently crying out for a young hungry striker,pacy CB and a commanding keeper we probably don`t have the funds to buy them so the loan market would appear to be the best option.

Some stand out ones I remember doing well
Dean Henderson Made a Beasant like impact commanding the back line and very good distribution
Connor Townsend made a massive impact and eventually saw him get a move to a Club in League one
Martin Patterson Brought in with I think Logan and Pulis by AB all young players but dramatically improved a poor side and went on to good things.
John Oster Brought him in and he had the x factor to create chances and weighed in with some vital goals himself
Andy Todd Kept us up
Dave Beasant IMHO the best short term loan signing we ever had

Stop it, I'm not sure I can take it anymore!!! I can't see us attracting the likes of the lads in bold for ages and it really winds me up...........but your right some "top top players" there. One thing they all had in common? they played without fear!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 71
barralad
October 12, 2017, 3:47pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,193
Gold Stars: 121
Luke Cornwall virtually single-handedly kept us up in 99/00. Think he came from Fulham. Years later I remember reading a "Where are they now?" article which said he'd left football and was selling ice cream at a tourist attraction in London.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 71
grimsby pete
October 12, 2017, 4:11pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
John Oster was not a loanee he came through the youth team.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 71
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Loanees

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.