1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
GYinScuntland
October 10, 2017, 10:33am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Can anyone else remember when kebabs were actually good?
When the first one opened near me in the early eighties I could happily walk home holding a nice toasted pitta containing some yummy (although unidentifiable) meat, bit of salad and a big dollop of chilli sauce on top.
Just in my hand with the bare minimum wrapping, a bit of greaseproof paper.
Nowadays they're in polystyrene containers that you daren't tip either way because you'll get a stream of kebab urine down your jeans from the gloop inside.
Don't even attempt to pick it up as one because the pittas now are as much use as a snotty wet tissue. That's when they actually can be arsed to split the pitta and put the meat inside.
They usually just lay it in the bottom of the tray as a type of kebab urine soakaway.
Worse still are the lazy girl privates who try fobbing you off with the 2am equivalent of an Airfix model kit.
A tray of meat, tray of salad, pot of chilli, pot of garlic mayo and a cold pitta.
WTF use is that when you are trying to stagger home?

Kentucky Fried Chicken used to be good too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Maringer
October 10, 2017, 11:07am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,399
Gold Stars: 184
Depends where you go. The Kebab House in the marketplace used to be my go to kebabery when staggering home after a night out, but it went downhill when it changed hands. On a good night, the chips there were absolutely fantastic as well.

Not been there for a while but had one this year which was OK. Not brilliant, but OK.

I now go to Fattoush just around the corner and the chicken kebabs there are pretty good. Chips a bit disappointing, mind.

I'd never have a donner in Cleethorpes, however. They are generally pretty rubbish.

I was spoiled by the donner at Theo's Charcoal Grill in Leeds back when I was at University (a couple of decades ago) which was absolutely fantastic. Sad to see it closed down some years ago.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 8
Paris Mariner
October 10, 2017, 6:13pm
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
You need to follow the UK Kebab awards on twitter or facebook. They will bring the best keeeeeebabs!

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 8
Paris Mariner
October 11, 2017, 10:04am
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 3 - 8
KingstonMariner
October 11, 2017, 3:50pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
If the one in the Market Place is the same one I'm thinking of, it provided some great after hours entertainment one night I was in there a few years back.

Actually probably 10 years back.

Proper 'leave it Gary he's not worth it' territory. Some bloke ended up with no shirt . One woman was slapping another bloke around the face. Some one else slipped on the floor. Blokes were marching up and down outside with puffed up chests. Plod and Plodetta turned up to calm things down. Which they did well but for one bloke who 'would not let it go'.

All harmless enough fun.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 8
KingstonMariner
October 11, 2017, 3:52pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
But kebabs. Mmmm. Am in the Holy Land right now. I should be able to find a good one tonight.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 8
Simariner
October 12, 2017, 4:25pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +29 / -4
Approval: +505
Yea the Kebab House has gone right down hill.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 8
bradzmilne
October 12, 2017, 9:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,381
Gold Stars: 29
Sadly not in meggies or GY - but there is a kebab house around the corner from me in Headingley called I am doner. It's branded as the 'only kebab you can enjoy sober' and I tell you what it's absolutely incredible - proper meat, halloumi cheese and freshly made wraps.... Bloody incredible - might even pop there now you know...  

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 8
bigbadmarinerbob
October 14, 2017, 4:41pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +122
Gold Stars: 2
Kebab Shop in Waltham used to be good, but now got new people in it and its Cr@p now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 8
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Kebabs

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.