Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 106 Guests

Highlights v Port Vale

This thread currently has 6,397 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
October 9, 2017, 6:13pm
Guest User
Quoted from RichMariner
I get a strong feeling that us fans feel these players are all capable of playing good football on the ground for League 2 standards, but for whatever reason Slade seems to want them to play more direct (at least that's the impression).

We know how much Slade values set pieces. I wouldn't disagree with him - I just think this team could attempt to keep the ball on the floor more during open play and still take advantage at set pieces.

Not sure how everyone else is feeling tonight but, for me at least, it feels like we've turned a bit of a corner. Vale were poor, for sure, but we saw a fightback from the players and they went about their business in the right way.

Danny Collins mentioned this in his interview with Matt Dean- Said something about playing a long ball for the first 15 to tire the opposition then moving it to the floor...
Reply: 30 - 33
October 9, 2017, 6:18pm
Guest User
Quoted from Maringer
I'm always quite pleased when we play a team who are confident to try and pass it around at the back. At our level, you're invariably going to be given one or two chances by these teams given the limitations of the players.

Obviously, this wasn't quite the case against, say, Portsmouth last season, but they were paying higher division wages and therefore had higher division players who are more capable.

Ultimately, pass the ball if you've got the time and the space, but don't end up going side to side for the sake of it if it means you're just going to end up passing it back for the keeper to whack upfield. You'd be better off chipping the ball up the line or into one of the corners in this situation. Too often, we try to pass the ball when there isn't really the opportunity to do so (considering the ability of our players) and end up slicing attempted clearances into touch when hurried.

Accrington play this game, of passing it out to defenders. When we played them their keeper was always looking for a short channel to pass to. The problem is that there is so little time on the ball in League 2 that as you say there are limitations and chances go to the opposition. I watched the channel 5 highlights from the League the other day and many teams in L1 and L2 are fairly direct in terms of boosting (or hoofing) into the channels, so maybe theres something in it??
Reply: 31 - 33
Gaffer58
October 9, 2017, 8:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
I am sure that during 90 minutes of the game a professional footballer can make a few passes to feet but, the majority of the time you will get a hoof as that is what they are comfortable with.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 33
GTFC_85
October 9, 2017, 11:34pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +252
Gold Stars: 3
I was particularly happy for Summerfield pass. He's had some right stick off the fans this season. Out of order.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Highlights v Port Vale

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.