chaos33
October 7, 2017, 8:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,870
Gold Stars: 353
Quoted from moosey_club
there may have been one already this season but if there has i cant remember it........a goal from a weighted through ball onto a striker !!!
At last !!

First game of the season away at Chesterfield - Dembele plays a peach of a through ball for Jones to score.

I think, the question a lot of us are asking is - why don't we try to play this way more often? A little bit of football, and we can look good.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 33
RichMariner
October 7, 2017, 9:20pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,134
Gold Stars: 209
I get a strong feeling that us fans feel these players are all capable of playing good football on the ground for League 2 standards, but for whatever reason Slade seems to want them to play more direct (at least that's the impression).

We know how much Slade values set pieces. I wouldn't disagree with him - I just think this team could attempt to keep the ball on the floor more during open play and still take advantage at set pieces.

Not sure how everyone else is feeling tonight but, for me at least, it feels like we've turned a bit of a corner. Vale were poor, for sure, but we saw a fightback from the players and they went about their business in the right way.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 11 - 33
Mariner Timsky
October 7, 2017, 9:25pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 4
Out of interest when was the last time we won after being behind!?

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 33
lew chaterleys lover
October 7, 2017, 9:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,659
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from Mariner Timsky

Carlisle away last season according to the radio.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 33
Les Brechin
October 7, 2017, 9:29pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,693
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Mariner Timsky

Carlisle away last season?

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 33
ginnywings
October 7, 2017, 10:20pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from RichMariner
I get a strong feeling that us fans feel these players are all capable of playing good football on the ground for League 2 standards, but for whatever reason Slade seems to want them to play more direct (at least that's the impression).

We know how much Slade values set pieces. I wouldn't disagree with him - I just think this team could attempt to keep the ball on the floor more during open play and still take advantage at set pieces.

Not sure how everyone else is feeling tonight but, for me at least, it feels like we've turned a bit of a corner. Vale were poor, for sure, but we saw a fightback from the players and they went about their business in the right way.

But sometimes you have to battle to earn the right to play. Vale are a big side and were going to come at us at a 100 miles an hour. In those circumstances, often the only way is to clear your lines with a big boot. League 2 football is a bit agricultural at times but i do think we have the players to cause problems once the game settles down and we have a bit more space and time to play. The same happened at Newport, when we were better second half but didn't get a goal back.

I haven't seen many (any?) silky teams in this league and i think most teams play the same way in League 2. Play football when circumstances allow, but battle when you have to. If that means getting the ball up the other end and out of arms way quickly, then that is how it will be. As long as we keep moving in the right direction, that's the important thing and we are already opening up a big gap between us and the bottom end. I still think there is more to come from this side and i say that as someone who isn't a big fan of Slade.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 33
lukeo
October 8, 2017, 7:39am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,358
Gold Stars: 143
Exeter play the ball on the deck when they get the opportunity and look how they're doing. Just missed out on promotion last year now right up their this year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 33
Mrs Doyle
October 8, 2017, 8:29am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Can see both sides of this luckily Slade has players that can mix it and should be able to cover both tactics. Sometimes route one seems the best option but with wide men and a decent midfield e have the best of both worlds. With our defence this maybe our saviour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 33
arryarryarry
October 8, 2017, 12:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Can see both sides of this luckily Slade has players that can mix it and should be able to cover both tactics. Sometimes route one seems the best option but with wide men and a decent midfield e have the best of both worlds. With our defence this maybe our saviour.

Do we though, we looked absolute cack in the first half and later on with Matt on his own up front we started hoofing it and it came right back putting us under pressure.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 33
mariner91
October 8, 2017, 3:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,580
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from lukeo
Exeter play the ball on the deck when they get the opportunity and look how they're doing. Just missed out on promotion last year now right up their this year.

They've also got the luxury of a manager who has been there for nearly 12 years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Highlights v Port Vale

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.