October 8, 2017, 7:24am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I would refuse to get drawn in by MrsD's comment Ginny

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 74
H19P1
October 8, 2017, 7:28am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +710
Please can someone confirm that this squad is half Slades and half not with next season being the opportunity to create a 100% Slade squad?

As long as we maintain League 2 status this season then surely we judge after that. Until then surely we must be realistic about our KPI's this season and continue to consolidate as a football league club.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 74
IlkleyMariner
October 8, 2017, 8:25am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
Looks like son of Madely is still in bed sleeping off too many sherbets

I am ok being four points off playoffs after twelve games and twelve points off bottom two

Our results on lower half teams are excellent if you analyse the points taken

We clearly struggle against the better teams and have to get better there

Let's see where we get to by Xmas before we start worrying about who our manager should be.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 74
lukeo
October 8, 2017, 8:47am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 145
I may get shot down here but as long as we try to play football when it's possible I'd be happy with this sort of run of results until the end of the season. Average mid table with the same amount of wins and loses, give Slade a year to settle and sort his team ready to bring in a couple more next season to kick on and aim a little higher. I think most people are realistic here and the reason people are so aggy is just the style of play, yes we all want to win but we accept we can't beat everyone we just want some sort of decent football to watch and to see our team give it their all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 74
mariner91
October 8, 2017, 9:39am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,627
Gold Stars: 260
Can happy clappers not read? I'm not saying the results were good under Bignot, but the football he had us playing was. Results at times were excrement, but under Slade we aren't much better OK we don't concede as many goals in a match thats the differnce. After 7 more games I would like to see the difference between Bignot and Slades win to loss ratio as I bet they will be very similar if not the same.

Slade Out.

No, the football wasn't good. Go on any just back thread and the over arching theme was boredom and no idea what the plan was. Christ almighty, talk about re-writing history.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 74
HertsGTFC
October 8, 2017, 10:09am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228

We played alot better football under Bignot then Slade, the results were just as bad but at least I could watch without hurting my neck or falling asleep. Bignot got it wrong with his team selections and tactics but bare Gunning (and I liked Gunning as bad as he was) he brought in some good players which resulted on Town fans turning on him. Slade's has assembled a sub bar squad except for Dembele and Woolford and has had a series of bad results and hoof ball"tactics" which is resulting in Tiwn fans turning on him. Its just happy clappers can't say anything bad about the club, I was shot down for bemoaning the signing of Kelly and Hooper and despite seeing them play fans on here still can't bring themselves to see the trueth and defend them to the hilt.

WIth Slade we won't even be trying for the playoffs, never mind top 3 he said he wanted. I know where we are in the league and I don't think we'll ever be challenging much higher then League 1 but I at least want a manager who makes it look like we could challenge, rather then one that makes me check the score of teams below us in the league.

Slade Out.

Couple of things,

- IMHO opinion the football was no better under Bignot, Crewe (A), Donny (H&A) Stevenage (A) Crawley (H) Exeter (H) all spring to mind. If you went to Portsmouth it was embarrassing. Even in games we won Hartlepool (A), Colchester (H) we where really poor.  

- After all that time in non league and 1 season back in the EFL is it realistic to be expecting play off's? or "top 3"? Many teams currently above us have been trying for a lot longer.

- I suggest that many have drifted off not because of the football but because all of a sudden we are small or at best a medium sized fish in a bigger pond where as in the last 3 seasons at least in non league we where right up there.

We are an average 4th division team with and average 4th division squad and we have average resources would changing the manager now make any of that better? if you believe it will then how?

Slade has assembled a squad of strangers with some coming in at the last minute to expect champagne football is not realistic until they gel together, the current style is pragmatic to get points all being well it will look better at some point soon but for the time being I'm happy to win games as winning games usually takes you closer to where you clearly feel we should be, playing nice football at this llevel sometimes does not..

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 74
sam gy
October 8, 2017, 10:34am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Can happy clappers not read? I'm not saying the results were good under Bignot, but the football he had us playing was. Results at times were excrement, but under Slade we aren't much better OK we don't concede as many goals in a match thats the differnce. After 7 more games I would like to see the difference between Bignot and Slades win to loss ratio as I bet they will be very similar if not the same.

Slade Out.

I don't remember playing good football whilst getting absolutely tonked by Crewe/Portsmouth/Donny.

The football under Bignot was absolutely dire.  Neil Woods dire. You're talking crap.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 74
MuddyWaters
October 8, 2017, 10:44am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Pragmatic is as good a word as any to describe Sladeball. That said, there are glimpses of something a little easier on the eye but it seems we have to concede first or be playing better opposition (Scunny/Derby) for it to happen.
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 74
friskneymariner
October 8, 2017, 10:57am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Pragmatic is as good a word as any to describe Sladeball. That said, there are glimpses of something a little easier on the eye but it seems we have to concede first or be playing better opposition (Scunny/Derby) for it to happen.

Functional springs to mind.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 74
Mariner Ronnie
October 8, 2017, 11:20am

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from jamesgtfc
I watched Lincoln today and their keeper put 3 of his own defenders on the floor punching the ball clear. As has been said, McKeown needs to be more streetwise.

Some cracking long shots in there from Dixon and Dembele. Good to see us score from a corner and that through ball from Summerfield was superb. It will be interesting to see how he kicks ok now he has his first goal.

Macca put gunning “on the floor” last season against Wycombe, can you recall what happened after that?

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 74
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.