This thread currently has 4,551 views. Print
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
October 6, 2017, 3:03pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,701
Gold Stars: 174
After last night laborious performance from our national team, who would you pick to play in Englands first game in Russia?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41483442

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
MarinerBen
October 6, 2017, 3:20pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +243
In terms of strike force, id want to see Andy Carroll paired with Jamie Vardy. If I remember correctly, Carroll does actually win a fair amount of flick on headers. Set Vardy up with his pace which in fairness is blistering, I’d put money on him scoring.

"Take what you can, give nothing back"
                                                                 - Capt. J. Sparrow
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 40
MuddyWaters
October 6, 2017, 3:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Hart

Walker
Stones
Jones
Rose

Dier
someone other than Henderson or Livermore

Rashford
Alli
Lingard

Kane
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 40
Abdul19
October 6, 2017, 3:36pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,552
Gold Stars: 215
Butland

Walker
Stones
Cahill
Rose

Dier
Fuck knows

Lallana
Alli
Rashford

Kane

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 40
Rick12
October 6, 2017, 3:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from MarinerBen
In terms of strike force, id want to see Andy Carroll paired with Jamie Vardy. If I remember correctly, Carroll does actually win a fair amount of flick on headers. Set Vardy up with his pace which in fairness is blistering, I’d put money on him scoring.
I love Vardys hunger and work ethic.Refreshing to see

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 40
Gaffer58
October 6, 2017, 3:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
We need to be like the Republic of Ireland under Jack Charlton and search for all those foreigners who have English connections, any body else would be better than most of this lot.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 40
Rick12
October 6, 2017, 3:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Gaffer58
We need to be like the Republic of Ireland under Jack Charlton and search for all those foreigners who have English connections, any body else would be better than most of this lot.
Ive never really rated Kane as top draw and always preferred Rashord. However credit to him as he keeps on banging them in

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 40
Maringer
October 6, 2017, 3:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
I don't think Stones is actually particularly good at defending at the moment. It's all well saying he's a good footballer but defenders need to defend first and foremost. I'd prefer to see Smalling in at the back, I think, as I don't really rate Jones. I suppose Cahill in there for experience, though I don't think he's that good either.

Back four:  Walker, Cahill, Smalling, Rose

In midfield, I'd play a central 3 because I don't think that any of our attacking players are much cop defensively (and neither are the defensive players!). No idea who, however, as most of them aren't very good. Dier alongside a couple of nippier midfielders, perhaps? Maybe Delph if he plays a bit this season and A.N. Other. Are any of the Under-20s or Under-21s going to be up to the job come next summer, I wonder?

In attack, I'm not at all convinced by Alli at international level. Endlessly loses possession with attempted flicks, tricks and dribbles then spends the rest of the time falling over in an attempt to win free-kicks/penalties. I'd play 4-3-1-2 with Rashford in 'the hole' and Welbeck alongside Kane to do a lot of his running for him. Welbeck has a fine record for England and he'd prove a handful for most defences. Kane is in great form but is often isolated up front on his own in an England shirt.

No room for Sterling in my starting 11 because he doesn't seem to have a flipping clue what he should be doing when he's wearing an England shirt. OK as an impact sub when the opposition defence have tired a bit. Same goes for Alli.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 40
Rick12
October 6, 2017, 3:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
Welbeck has a fine record for England and he'd prove a handful for most defences. i.
Along with Vardy a players work ethic who  I greatly admire whenever Ive seen him on tv

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 40
Maringer
October 6, 2017, 3:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
Yep, Vardy or Welbeck alongside Kane would be useful. Only thing about Vardy is that he's not ideally suited to play against packed defences. He'd probably do better against better opposition who are willing to push forwards more.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 40
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Pick your England team for Russia 2018

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.