This thread currently has 6,897 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Skrill
October 5, 2017, 11:47pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +6 / -6
Approval: +604
Watched two minutes, Henderson falls over and cries like a baby, gets up straight away once the whistle is blown.
F*** the Premier League, and F*** international football, the game is dying in front of our eyes.

[tweet]316134373063806976[/tweet]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 68
RichMariner
October 6, 2017, 12:01am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,133
Gold Stars: 209
Watching England is not an enjoyable experience.

The manner in which we play is pedestrian and, as some have already pointed out, totally predictable.

Take this in the way it's intended, but I find it slightly annoying that we win while playing in this way because it's likely to validate Southgate's thinking and approach for future matches.

He'll say that what he's doing is working. In a black and white world then yes, it's working. We've qualified for Russia.

But what it's failing to do is prove that we won't succumb to another Iceland-style performance, or play out a dour 0-0 draw against Costa Rica.

It's clear to me that even in the victories we've been getting we have huge flaws that will be exposed against even mediocre opposition at a major tournament.

We'll play a few meaningless friendlies between now and next summer, play players who can't even get into their club side on a regular basis, sweat over a key player like Kane breaking that bone in the foot that all of England's best players tend to break just before a major tournament, and then limp home following some sluggish performances with the FA making more promises, and people like Shaun Harvey making ever more ridiculous decisions that don't just damage the future of this England team but damage the foundation on which it's build with thoroughly stupid initiatives like the Checkashit Trophy.

*Draws breath*

Ah England, you frustrate me more than Town!

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Online
Site Private Message
Reply: 51 - 68
KingstonMariner
October 6, 2017, 12:18am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from TAGG

It is.
The football DNA report.

This leaves no room for coaching an adventures expansive game.
England top of there league with 18 goals.
Germany, Spain Italy all top of there leagues scoring well over 30 goals.
England should have scored 20 against the bottom two teams in our league.
All that matters with the DNA balderdash is ball retention and pass completion.

And we're even excrement at that

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 68
Grimal
October 6, 2017, 12:28am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,858
Gold Stars: 9
Well, that was a 96 minute Borefest, bring on some real football, roll on Saturday, Vale v Town, it surely can't be any worse to watch than that rubbish.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 68
Southwark Mariner
October 6, 2017, 12:41am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,545
Gold Stars: 82
Things seemed to get a little bit better after Oxlade-Chamberlain went off. I think I heard his replacement hasn't even played a first-team game this season (but it may have been started...so sub appearances).

Our reaction to them bringing on a Striker seemed a little Hurstesque.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 68
Mrs Doyle
October 6, 2017, 4:28am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Reminded me of Town, rubbish defending, no midfield and no  ideas up front only difference they are all millionaires and we are the pound land equivalent.

For all the "school of excellence" these players have been brought through it does not show, you have got to WANT to win at football no hunger there and to much showboating.

Slovenia apart from the goal had more than enough chances to win and opened up our defence with ease.

A better side would have converted at least three of those chances.

Southgate said we are a side still learning sound familiar?

I need to brush up on my paper aeroplanes.

Anybody else think Qatar is a disaster waiting to happen on and off he field?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 68
Maringer
October 6, 2017, 8:14am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
Glenda made a telling point in the first half (possibly for the first time ever?) when he pointed out that the problem was a complete lack of movement from the players. Less a case of pass and move, more pass and stand still to admire your pass.

Of course, the other main problem was that Sterling and Oxlade-Chamberlain were so poor that they might as well have not been playing. Quite why Sterling thinks he's got the ability to play centrally, I don't know. You can see why Guardiola doesn't play him there, that's for sure.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 68
TheRealJohnLewis
October 6, 2017, 8:52am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from Maringer
Glenda made a telling point in the first half (possibly for the first time ever?) when he pointed out that the problem was a complete lack of movement from the players. Less a case of pass and move, more pass and stand still to admire your pass.

Of course, the other main problem was that Sterling and Oxlade-Chamberlain were so poor that they might as well have not been playing. Quite why Sterling thinks he's got the ability to play centrally, I don't know. You can see why Guardiola doesn't play him there, that's for sure.

This is the same as how I see it, whatever happened to pass and move?  Against lesser teams, it might work but when we come up against the major players we are soo easy to close down and we crumble under any pressure from opposing players.
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 68
louth_in_the_south
October 6, 2017, 9:18am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,656
Gold Stars: 94
The only entertaining thing about an England game is the inevitable  post match rant by mark saggers on talksport

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 68
Hertsmariner
October 6, 2017, 10:12am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +695
Nah, couldn't be bothered with that one. Instead, went to see a re-run of Benedict Cumberbatch's performance of Hamlet shown at our local cinema. I suspect he expended more energy in that role than the entire England team in theirs! Whilst England almost always disappoint, Shakespeare never does....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 68
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › England vs Slovenia

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.