This thread currently has 7,486 views. Print
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
September 30, 2017, 10:47pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,401
Gold Stars: 113
"Mr Sheard" sent me this article which I am putting on here.

Why is it that supporters want to park their cars etc outside the ground, and in so doing foul up the streets around Blundell Park?
There is a super bus service in both directions in Grimsby Road, so why not park and ride?

I see cars literally abandoned each home game, parked illegally, on house and shop fronts, across drives and pavement drops. Why do they do it? Come on you “supporters”, you would not stand for this at your own homes, you would want to get in and out, or park on your own drive. There is a good case for a park and ride and serious enforcement. Both would provide safe, trouble-free parking and clearer street for all persons, be they fans or just pedestrians, to enjoy a better experience.

Now tell me I am wrong.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
GrimRob
September 30, 2017, 10:49pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,401
I used the bus today but there is simply not the capacity for everyone to use it. They are already quite full, especially on the way home. Even if the bus company layed on extra buses they just won't have anywhere near the quantity of vehicles or drivers to cope.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 59
promotion plaice
September 30, 2017, 10:53pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,040
Gold Stars: 197

When you park legally they see their @rse anyway, they think they own the bit of road outside of their house.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 59
Hagrid
September 30, 2017, 10:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,373
Gold Stars: 532
He bought a house there, the club was there first, my mesage to you Mr Sheard, is shutup moaning
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 59
LH
September 30, 2017, 10:59pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,495
Gold Stars: 173
I’d rather push my car to BP than get the bus but each to their own.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 59
jonnyboy82
September 30, 2017, 11:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Unfortunately you only buy the house not the road.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 59
HackneyHaddock
September 30, 2017, 11:09pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
Needs to be a proper shuttle service between BP and Town.

Also, learn the lessons for the new ground and plan in adequate public transport, walking and cycle routes so people have other options.  PP (assuming it ever happens!) is at the centre of a 3 mile radius of 90% of North East Lincolnshire's population, so there's no reason the club shouldn't be aiming to negate the need for private cars, which are a massively inefficient use of precious floorspace around a new ground.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 59
KingstonMariner
September 30, 2017, 11:19pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Illegal parking is wrong. Wherever it is. End of.

If it's people parking legally in the streets around the ground then he hasn't got a leg to stand on. It's one of those thing you have to accept if you move near a football ground in an area like that where there are no big car parks. It's going to happen.

As for buses, you'll need 50 double decker bus journeys for just 3500 people (let's say the rest are away fans on the train and a few drivers/walkers). All arriving/departing within a 1 hour window before and after the game. So the buses will need to unload and load up a full complement of passengers near enough every minute. Let's be generous and extend the time window to an hour and forty minutes before and after, and say two minutes. Logistically impossible. Of course if there is stoppage time the buses will have to park up and wait for a bit longer. Somewhere.

Then where are the parking spaces for the drivers at the start/end of the journey or along the route?

As for routes to the ground, people are coming from north, south and west of the ground. Are they all to be funnelled along to the ends of Cleethorpe and Grimsby Roads? You'll then be funnelling traffic that might otherwise come across the middle into those two points.

Suppose, parking spaces were there for people to park and then walk up to the bus stop for the route to/from BP. How is parking around BP going to be enforced so it's residents only? Obviously you need wardens, and wardens cost money. The cost of 'prosecutions' can be covered out of the fines collected, but there'll still be the patrolling costs. In most places where there are residents only parking schemes the residents pay an annual fee for the permit. They're usually allowed a limited number of passes for their visitors - let's set aside the possibility of a roaring black market trade in these for match days.

Is Mr Sheard prepared to pay for a residents only scheme, and to persuade his neighbours it's a good idea too? And are they prepared to lobby the council to arrange for a decent park and ride scheme, with enough suitable parking in places that isn't going to create congestion in other parts of the town? And persuade the council to find a way of enforcing it on the bus company? All for a cost that is fair and reasonable to people going to the match (who are tax payers too).

Sounds like the solution is in Mr Sheard's hands.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 59
moosey_club
September 30, 2017, 11:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
Soooo,
in summary....

fck off you whining tw@t.  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 59
KingstonMariner
September 30, 2017, 11:27pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club
Soooo,
in summary....

fck off you whining tw@t.  

You might well say that but I couldn't possibly comment.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 59
wigworld
September 30, 2017, 11:31pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
My experience is the same as that of promotion plaice, and I've had a few bad experiences parking in perfectly legal spaces. (I tend to park on or around Queen Mary Avenue).

Having said that, I would use a Park & Ride if available. How about flattening Great Coates and using that as a giant park & ride car park?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 59
Ahh Sole
October 1, 2017, 7:10am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +411
Maybe Mr Sheard could write to the local council, for the attention of Mr deFreitas and suggest we have a new stadium with lots of parking?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 59
Cloudy
October 1, 2017, 7:24am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
How many cars are parked illegally? My guess would be less than 1%.

You get the same in Town centres. Basically anywhere were you get a few people attending

Best thing would be to get a nice new ground were many more people can walk, cycle and get the bus to. Everyone's a winner
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 59
HertsGTFC
October 1, 2017, 8:05am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Before I moved away I actually lived on Sydney St which is where I park now oddly enough. This was at the time of Buckley MK1 so attendances where good. When it was a night game I had the double whammy of getting home about 7.15 from work trying to park close to home and then legging it to BP for kick off, usually I have to move the car after the game so I can see how frustrating this can be especially if people park illegally.

A park and ride would help as would some proper road markings on corners etc...there is plenty of space to set something up and it would gather some good will locally. What I don’t understand is why this is suddenly an issue though after years with bigger attendances at BP.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 59
headingly_mariner
October 1, 2017, 9:03am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
It's for 3 hours a fortnight.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 59
scrumble
October 1, 2017, 9:07am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +983
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted Text
I see cars literally abandoned
Literally? So the have no keeper on the DVLA database and are untaxed, stationary for a significant amount of time (this would be more than couple of hours),
they’re significantly damaged, run down or unroadworthy - with flat tyres, wheels removed or broken windows
they’re burned out
they have number plates missing?

I literally suggest you  learn the meaning of the word literally.

Quoted Text
on house and shop fronts,
Could you point out to me which particular section of law prohibits parking on the roadside in front of someone's house.
Quoted Text
acrosss and pavement drops
report it to the council and get them ticketed. Although I'd love to know how often you genuinely see this, in the all the years of walking up from Queen Mary Ave I've only seen it a couple of times, and how you know the cars belong to people going to Blundell Park and not to friends and family of the owners of the driveway.

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 59
grimsby pete
October 1, 2017, 10:34am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
I would use a park and ride service if it was available,

BUT

It is not so I think you should address your comments to the council.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 59
Marinerz93
October 1, 2017, 11:08am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Illegal parking is wrong. Wherever it is. End of.

If it's people parking legally in the streets around the ground then he hasn't got a leg to stand on. It's one of those thing you have to accept if you move near a football ground in an area like that where there are no big car parks. It's going to happen.

As for buses, you'll need 50 double decker bus journeys for just 3500 people (let's say the rest are away fans on the train and a few drivers/walkers). All arriving/departing within a 1 hour window before and after the game. So the buses will need to unload and load up a full complement of passengers near enough every minute. Let's be generous and extend the time window to an hour and forty minutes before and after, and say two minutes. Logistically impossible. Of course if there is stoppage time the buses will have to park up and wait for a bit longer. Somewhere.

Then where are the parking spaces for the drivers at the start/end of the journey or along the route?

As for routes to the ground, people are coming from north, south and west of the ground. Are they all to be funnelled along to the ends of Cleethorpe and Grimsby Roads? You'll then be funnelling traffic that might otherwise come across the middle into those two points.

Suppose, parking spaces were there for people to park and then walk up to the bus stop for the route to/from BP. How is parking around BP going to be enforced so it's residents only? Obviously you need wardens, and wardens cost money. The cost of 'prosecutions' can be covered out of the fines collected, but there'll still be the patrolling costs. In most places where there are residents only parking schemes the residents pay an annual fee for the permit. They're usually allowed a limited number of passes for their visitors - let's set aside the possibility of a roaring black market trade in these for match days.

Is Mr Sheard prepared to pay for a residents only scheme, and to persuade his neighbours it's a good idea too? And are they prepared to lobby the council to arrange for a decent park and ride scheme, with enough suitable parking in places that isn't going to create congestion in other parts of the town? And persuade the council to find a way of enforcing it on the bus company? All for a cost that is fair and reasonable to people going to the match (who are tax payers too).

Sounds like the solution is in Mr Sheard's hands.

Near top town residents in the side streets around Lord Street, got the council to bring in a residents only scheme and most are now trying to get rid off it due to extortionate rising costs from the council year on year. It's the same in parts of Lincoln and elsewhere, a good idea to start with but every council seems to increase costs for these every year. The problem in some areas is double yellow lines on both sides of the road which in most places is unnecessary for example around Louth town centre.

The club was there before Mr Sheard and the issue of parking back when we in the Championship was well known maybe he is new to the area. A park and ride is a good idea however is not the clubs remit to provide one so he needs to write to the council. One thing he has to bear in mind is that park and ride requires you to pay where if you just park your car near the ground there is no cost, which does he think will happen.

When our group go to BP we get dropped off by the missus and picked up at the end.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 59
friskneymariner
October 1, 2017, 11:10am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Usually 2 or 3 enforcement officer patrolling round B.P. on matchdays.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 59
The_Laughing_Mariner
October 1, 2017, 11:12am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
I live close to the ground, and yes it is a pain on matchdays, but hey! the ground was there before i moved there so i get on with it and have learned to adapt and accept it.  No big deal.
I also only nouth the house, not the road outside.

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 59
The_Laughing_Mariner
October 1, 2017, 11:14am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Bought not nouth

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 59
realist
October 1, 2017, 11:17am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,684
Gold Stars: 41
Years ago I used to get the bus when they laid on loads of extra ones but gave up after being stranded one time too often. I now walk to the station and get a train to Grimsby.

But this "ownership" of the road out side houses is spreading. I had got abuse for parking in town legally because I was in someones place.    This is where there was once a residents parking scheme which stopped when they wouldnt pay the increased fee.   Trouble is they have the advantage because we are all in fear of having our car vandalised. What happened to the enterprising young kids that used to watch you car for a bob?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 59
KingstonMariner
October 1, 2017, 11:42am
Meths Drinker
People knocking down their front walls to create extra parking for themselves and expecting you not to park in front of their house (not just where there is a dropped pavement) is one of the bad habits round here. But I digress.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 59
friskneymariner
October 1, 2017, 11:45am

Champagne Drinker
Why not open up the Imp car park would help a bit.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 59
LH
October 1, 2017, 12:11pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,495
Gold Stars: 173
That happens up here too KM. I’ve seen someone paint the line on the road themself too!
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 59
sonofmadeleymariner
October 1, 2017, 12:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 37
They should of turned the Leaking Boot into car parking space, not a bad distance from the sea front or the ground.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 59
ginnywings
October 1, 2017, 1:12pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Always makes me laugh how apoplectic people get over cars and parking. As soon as sites for a new ground were mentioned, the first thing you get is the words "traffic congestion" thrown into the mix. I walk to the ground and back, totalling about three miles down Carr Lane, Queen Mary Ave and past Sidney Park. Must see about a dozen road rage incidents on my walk with cars snarled up, especially down Park View- it's hilarious. Was especially bad yesterday with all the extra fans. Unfortunately, when most towns were built and football grounds sited, no one knew how popular cars would become. Towns simply were not built to handle all this traffic. Try walking; it's good for you and after a particularly sh1te match, i've calmed down a lot by the time i reach home.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 59
ginnywings
October 1, 2017, 1:13pm

Recovering Alcoholic
They should of turned the Leaking Boot into car parking space, not a bad distance from the sea front or the ground.

No they shouldn't. Too many car parks and building houses there was a much better use of the space.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 59
rancido
October 1, 2017, 3:23pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,567
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from GrimRob
"Mr Sheard" sent me this article which I am putting on here.

Why is it that supporters want to park their cars etc outside the ground, and in so doing foul up the streets around Blundell Park?
There is a super bus service in both directions in Grimsby Road, so why not park and ride?

I see cars literally abandoned each home game, parked illegally, on house and shop fronts, across drives and pavement drops. Why do they do it? Come on you “supporters”, you would not stand for this at your own homes, you would want to get in and out, or park on your own drive. There is a good case for a park and ride and serious enforcement. Both would provide safe, trouble-free parking and clearer street for all persons, be they fans or just pedestrians, to enjoy a better experience.

Now tell me I am wrong.

Exactly but unfortunately fans think it's different  as regards BP. I keep hearing this comment about " if you buy a house near the ground then you should expect it" , well that is complete ballocks in so many ways. Car ownership has greatly expanded over the last twenty years but there has been no increase in car parking facilities near BP. A lot of those people who live in the surrounding streets have probably lived their quite some time and seen this problem get worse. I don't think it's unreasonable to want to park on your own front, a situation that most people in suburbia take for granted.
I have read all the posts on this thread and the saddening thing is the total arrogance of some posters who don't even consider the locals problem as long as they can park where they want on matchdays. It may not be illegal to park where some of them do but surely there must be a sense of social conscience if they were in a similar situation.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 59
ginnywings
October 1, 2017, 3:41pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from rancido

Exactly but unfortunately fans think it's different  as regards BP. I keep hearing this comment about " if you buy a house near the ground then you should expect it" , well that is complete ballocks in so many ways. Car ownership has greatly expanded over the last twenty years but there has been no increase in car parking facilities near BP. A lot of those people who live in the surrounding streets have probably lived their quite some time and seen this problem get worse. I don't think it's unreasonable to want to park on your own front, a situation that most people in suburbia take for granted.
I have read all the posts on this thread and the saddening thing is the total arrogance of some posters who don't even consider the locals problem as long as they can park where they want on matchdays. It may not be illegal to park where some of them do but surely there must be a sense of social conscience if they were in a similar situation.

Why is it complete balderdash? It stands to reason that if you buy a house near a major venue that attracts thousands of people, then the amount of cars that appear when there is an event happening will increase dramatically. If you have a valid tax disc, you can park anywhere you like as long as it's not in an illegal spot. If that happens to be "on somebody's front", then so what? They purchase the house, not the street in front of it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 59
Abdul19
October 1, 2017, 3:46pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,545
Gold Stars: 215
Must be mildly annoying for the bloke - for about 69 hours a year.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 59
KingstonMariner
October 1, 2017, 3:51pm
Meths Drinker
The growth in car ownership has been a lot longer than twenty years rancido. I can't remember a time when there weren't cars parked as far afield as Dugard Rd and I first started going in the early 70s. When car ownership was lower crowds were higher so whilst the proportion who went by car was lower, the absolute numbers of cars going to BP would be not much different I bet.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 59
GYinScuntland
October 1, 2017, 4:04pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
I bought a house in a road once.
People used to drive down it and park on it and I thought balderdash to this, I'm never buying a house on a road ever again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 59
scrumble
October 1, 2017, 4:42pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +983
Quoted from rancido
Car ownership has greatly expanded over the last twenty years but there has been no increase in car parking facilities near BP.
And yet the parking issue hasn't gotten any worse. 20 years ago we where in the first division/championship, with gates bigger than they are now, and it was definitely harder to park then than it is now. I've always parked on Queen Mary Ave, and there are definitely less cars on matchdays than there used to be

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 59
Stadium
October 1, 2017, 5:18pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from scrumble
And yet the parking issue hasn't gotten any worse. 20 years ago we where in the first division/championship, with gates bigger than they are now, and it was definitely harder to park then than it is now. I've always parked on Queen Mary Ave, and there are definitely less cars on matchdays than there used to be

This.

Yesterday with a gate of 7500+ parking was relatively easy.
Another modern phenomenon which people are offended by.
Like the folks around the hospital getting upset by people legally parking on the street-thus avoiding disgraceful private parking fees.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 59
realist
October 1, 2017, 5:30pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from rancido

. I don't think it's unreasonable to want to park on your own front, a situation that most people in suburbia take for granted.

It is not you own front. Your property ends at the footpath. The road is for any legal road users on a first come first served basis. It may inconvenience you a bit but that is how roads work If you don't like it buy a place with private parking (and a dropped curb)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 59
promotion plaice
October 1, 2017, 5:32pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,040
Gold Stars: 197

If Peaks Parkway does get built I assume there will be a charge for parking outside in the car park, probably about £7.00 going on other clubs charges.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 59
realist
October 1, 2017, 5:35pm
Table Wine Drinker
There was talk of it being around £10. I think that is sufficiently high to make people park close by and walk. I don't blame them either as it is expensive enough as it is for a game. I think these ventures should be forced to give free parking.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 59
Stadium
October 1, 2017, 5:41pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from promotion plaice

If Peaks Parkway does get built I assume there will be a charge for parking outside in the car park, probably about £7.00 going on other clubs charges.

Definitely and parking adjacent to the stadium there certainly should be.
Obviously the idea is to encourage people not to drive to the stadium.
Park and ride,walking route,secure cycle storage etc.
Or park on someones front in Weelsby Ave and walk.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 59
grimsby pete
October 1, 2017, 6:51pm

Exile
I would gladly pay £7 to park at our new stadium,

BUT

I bet I don't.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 59
mrsd
October 1, 2017, 6:59pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +144
Im surprised they don't open up the old Ramsdens car park on match days, could be a money maker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 59
moosey_club
October 1, 2017, 7:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from mrsd
Im surprised they don't open up the old Ramsdens car park on match days, could be a money maker

Why, when we can all park on Mr Sheard's front for free ?

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 59
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 1, 2017, 7:34pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
At one time there used to be bus services to and from BP on match days but it finished because there was no demand for it, just like there is no demand for bike parking in people’s front yards.

So many supporters come from a fair distance especially as the council has busily encouraged new houses out of town for years now. Very few people around BP were in their homes in those days, they all bought them knowing that the streets round there are choked every night not just on match days but of course the gates were low. Now there are more fans and there are more cars.  So in the end, sorry but I can have little sympathy for Mr S. .

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 59
KingstonMariner
October 1, 2017, 9:19pm
Meths Drinker
At one time there used to be bus services to and from BP on match days but it finished because there was no demand for it, just like there is no demand for bike parking in people’s front yards.

So many supporters come from a fair distance especially as the council has busily encouraged new houses out of town for years now. Very few people around BP were in their homes in those days, they all bought them knowing that the streets round there are choked every night not just on match days but of course the gates were low. Now there are more fans and there are more cars.  So in the end, sorry but I can have little sympathy for Mr S. .

My sister who started going late 60s(?) said there used to be hundreds of bikes just left on the ground outside the ground. None were locked because they were all the same and everyone had one.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 59
TAGG
October 1, 2017, 9:28pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,960
Gold Stars: 124
There are always traffic wardens around here on match day..
Like I've said before the ground was here before anyone that lives around here.
I suggest if they dont like it flipping move 👍

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 59
KingstonMariner
October 1, 2017, 9:34pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from TAGG
There are always traffic wardens around here on match day..
Like I've said before the ground was here before anyone that lives around here.
I suggest if they dont like it flipping move 👍

Yep. It was an edge of town development. Think as far as Neville Street might have been built at that point. The rest of the area was open fields - according to Bob Lincoln, the board considered a proposal of buying all the available land up to have a cricket pitch, tennis courts etc. to turn it into a multi-sports complex. Had they accepted the proposal we'd have had enough room to build a swanky new stadium with parking.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 59
Maringer
October 1, 2017, 10:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,475
Gold Stars: 185

My sister who started going late 60s(?) said there used to be hundreds of bikes just left on the ground outside the ground. None were locked because they were all the same and everyone had one.

My Dad lived in a house on one of the streets near the ground during the 50s (Tiverton Street, perhaps - can't remember which one) and I'm pretty sure he mentioned something about people paying to leave their bikes in the front yard during a game!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 59
KingstonMariner
October 1, 2017, 10:16pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

My Dad lived in a house on one of the streets near the ground during the 50s (Tiverton Street, perhaps - can't remember which one) and I'm pretty sure he mentioned something about people paying to leave their bikes in the front yard during a game!

Yeah, someone else said that. Her and her mates used to turn up well into the first half and just leave their bikes with hundreds of others outside and get in for nowt or next to nowt.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 59
1mickylyons
October 2, 2017, 11:09am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from realist
There was talk of it being around £10. I think that is sufficiently high to make people park close by and walk. I don't blame them either as it is expensive enough as it is for a game. I think these ventures should be forced to give free parking.

Probably the best compromise is to give STH a parking permit of the season for say £40.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 59
friskneymariner
October 2, 2017, 11:23am

Champagne Drinker
I for one would not renew my season ticket if parking was over £5.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 59
arryarryarry
October 2, 2017, 12:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Maringer

I and some friends used to go by bike and leave them for a small fee in the small garden of an old lady's house in Imperial Avenue.

We used to get there early and get into the ground for I think 1s 9d and climb over the gate at the bottom of the Pontoon to save the 6d entry fee.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 59
TownSNAFU5
October 2, 2017, 1:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,874
Gold Stars: 42
My grand-parents lived on Elliston Street (opposite the old Loftus's toyshop on Grimsby Road) in the 1960s and early 70s.  We used to call in before matches.

You could gauge the size of the crowd by comparing the number of cars parked outside at sat 1.30pm and 2pm each home game.  This rough assessment proved to be a pretty reliable indicator.

They never complained about the visiting cars as they did not own a car.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 59
Sigone
October 2, 2017, 1:47pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,615
Gold Stars: 5
From a recent programme  
[img]https://i.imgur.com/lpIn9A9.jpg[/img]

1962 to be exact
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 59
1mickylyons
October 2, 2017, 1:58pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from arryarryarry

I and some friends used to go by bike and leave them for a small fee in the small garden of an old lady's house in Imperial Avenue.

We used to get there early and get into the ground for I think 1s 9d and climb over the gate at the bottom of the Pontoon to save the 6d entry fee.

I can see you being contacted very soon by getyourfactsright
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 59
arryarryarry
October 2, 2017, 2:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from 1mickylyons

I can see you being contacted very soon by getyourfactsright

I would refer Your Honour to the Limitations Act of 1980.
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 59
Civvy at last
October 2, 2017, 2:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +36 / -13
Approval: +12,204
Gold Stars: 131

1962 to be exact[/quote]

Wrong thread mate. That answer should be on the 'when did we last play attractive football' thread  .

The wife was going away for a girly weekend.
I jokingly remarked  'I don't know whether to spend it watching porn or watching football'
'you may as well spend it watching porn' she replied
That's understanding darling what makes you say that? I asked

She said 'Well you already know how to play football'  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 59
moosey_club
October 2, 2017, 3:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Civvy at last

1962 to be exact

Wrong thread mate. That answer should be on the 'when did we last play attractive football' thread  .

[/quote]

Promotion football as well as attractive football..

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 59
grimsby pete
October 2, 2017, 5:26pm

Exile

Yeah, someone else said that. Her and her mates used to turn up well into the first half and just leave their bikes with hundreds of others outside and get in for nowt or next to nowt.

You could get in for free at half time KM

Me and my mates used to do it when we had no pocket money left or my Dad was at work.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 59
KingstonMariner
October 2, 2017, 9:58pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

Me and my mates used to do it when we had no pocket money left or my Dad was at work.

Aye that was what she said.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 59
FishOutOfWater
October 4, 2017, 1:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,568
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from grimsby pete

Yeah Pete - I always remember the "half time - free entrance" thing

My dad used to take me along if the game sounded like it was going ok ( we only lived in Lovett Street so not far to go once he'd decided we should go )

I think one of the first times he did this with me was the time we put seven past Scunny... 5-0 at half time I think it was

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 59 - 59
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Parking around Blundell Park

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.