This thread currently has 7,476 views. Print
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
September 30, 2017, 10:47pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
"Mr Sheard" sent me this article which I am putting on here.

Why is it that supporters want to park their cars etc outside the ground, and in so doing foul up the streets around Blundell Park?
There is a super bus service in both directions in Grimsby Road, so why not park and ride?

I see cars literally abandoned each home game, parked illegally, on house and shop fronts, across drives and pavement drops. Why do they do it? Come on you “supporters”, you would not stand for this at your own homes, you would want to get in and out, or park on your own drive. There is a good case for a park and ride and serious enforcement. Both would provide safe, trouble-free parking and clearer street for all persons, be they fans or just pedestrians, to enjoy a better experience.

Now tell me I am wrong.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
GrimRob
September 30, 2017, 10:49pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
I used the bus today but there is simply not the capacity for everyone to use it. They are already quite full, especially on the way home. Even if the bus company layed on extra buses they just won't have anywhere near the quantity of vehicles or drivers to cope.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 59
promotion plaice
September 30, 2017, 10:53pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193

When you park legally they see their @rse anyway, they think they own the bit of road outside of their house.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 59
Hagrid
September 30, 2017, 10:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,385
Gold Stars: 527
He bought a house there, the club was there first, my mesage to you Mr Sheard, is shutup moaning
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 59
LH
September 30, 2017, 10:59pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,462
Gold Stars: 172
I’d rather push my car to BP than get the bus but each to their own.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 59
jonnyboy82
September 30, 2017, 11:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Unfortunately you only buy the house not the road.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 59
HackneyHaddock
September 30, 2017, 11:09pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
Needs to be a proper shuttle service between BP and Town.

Also, learn the lessons for the new ground and plan in adequate public transport, walking and cycle routes so people have other options.  PP (assuming it ever happens!) is at the centre of a 3 mile radius of 90% of North East Lincolnshire's population, so there's no reason the club shouldn't be aiming to negate the need for private cars, which are a massively inefficient use of precious floorspace around a new ground.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 59
KingstonMariner
September 30, 2017, 11:19pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Illegal parking is wrong. Wherever it is. End of.

If it's people parking legally in the streets around the ground then he hasn't got a leg to stand on. It's one of those thing you have to accept if you move near a football ground in an area like that where there are no big car parks. It's going to happen.

As for buses, you'll need 50 double decker bus journeys for just 3500 people (let's say the rest are away fans on the train and a few drivers/walkers). All arriving/departing within a 1 hour window before and after the game. So the buses will need to unload and load up a full complement of passengers near enough every minute. Let's be generous and extend the time window to an hour and forty minutes before and after, and say two minutes. Logistically impossible. Of course if there is stoppage time the buses will have to park up and wait for a bit longer. Somewhere.

Then where are the parking spaces for the drivers at the start/end of the journey or along the route?

As for routes to the ground, people are coming from north, south and west of the ground. Are they all to be funnelled along to the ends of Cleethorpe and Grimsby Roads? You'll then be funnelling traffic that might otherwise come across the middle into those two points.

Suppose, parking spaces were there for people to park and then walk up to the bus stop for the route to/from BP. How is parking around BP going to be enforced so it's residents only? Obviously you need wardens, and wardens cost money. The cost of 'prosecutions' can be covered out of the fines collected, but there'll still be the patrolling costs. In most places where there are residents only parking schemes the residents pay an annual fee for the permit. They're usually allowed a limited number of passes for their visitors - let's set aside the possibility of a roaring black market trade in these for match days.

Is Mr Sheard prepared to pay for a residents only scheme, and to persuade his neighbours it's a good idea too? And are they prepared to lobby the council to arrange for a decent park and ride scheme, with enough suitable parking in places that isn't going to create congestion in other parts of the town? And persuade the council to find a way of enforcing it on the bus company? All for a cost that is fair and reasonable to people going to the match (who are tax payers too).

Sounds like the solution is in Mr Sheard's hands.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 59
moosey_club
September 30, 2017, 11:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,200
Gold Stars: 224
Soooo,
in summary....

fck off you whining tw@t.  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 59
KingstonMariner
September 30, 2017, 11:27pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from moosey_club
Soooo,
in summary....

fck off you whining tw@t.  

You might well say that but I couldn't possibly comment.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 59
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Parking around Blundell Park

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.