Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › where.....
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 285 Guests

where.....

This thread currently has 3,673 views. Print
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
October 1, 2017, 2:01pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
I'm hoping Asante turns out to be the missing ingredient.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 19
rancido
October 1, 2017, 2:09pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,533
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from ginnywings
I'm hoping Asante turns out to be the missing ingredient.

I do too but it's a sorry state of the squad when you are depending on one player possibly being the answer to our goal scoring problem.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 19
ginnywings
October 1, 2017, 2:28pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
I don't think that the goalscoring is as big an issue as the goals against. Coventry are 4th having only scored the same amount of goals as us and we are on a par with most of the sides around us in the goals for column. Conceding 18 is a much bigger problem in my opinion. I think the focus on the goalscoring is as a consequence of most thinking the football is dull and toothless and not a lot is happening in the final third. If you look at other sides around us, they too are not scoring that many either.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 19
golfer
October 1, 2017, 5:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
I am convinced there are more goals conceived than scored in this division  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 19
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 1, 2017, 6:13pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,650
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from golfer
I am convinced there are more goals conceived than scored in this division  

Pregnant pause while I think about that one. After yesterdays game our trip home debate was about gap between our two forward players & midfield. Accept a lot of this because we sit deep because of our lack of pace but if you are knocking long balls forward there is always a lot of "second balls" to be fought for in opposition half. Too often our opposition have free reign to take their time and pick a pass as we dont get that pressure on consistently. First twenty yesterday we got this going, accept a Ginny point that this may have been due to Chimps sitting back on purpose, and kept Lincoln in their own half. Mind you still created no chances created.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 19
devs
October 1, 2017, 6:49pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 30
Coventry point about their defence is a very good one
Very few teams win things by shipping lots of goals - virtually impossible to score 3/4 each match
Whatever our opinions about individuals pleased Russ is keeping pretty much same back four - vital area for working together as a unit and gaining an understanding
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 19
moosey_club
October 1, 2017, 7:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,210
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from devs
Coventry point about their defence is a very good one
Very few teams win things by shipping lots of goals - virtually impossible to score 3/4 each match
Whatever our opinions about individuals pleased Russ is keeping pretty much same back four - vital area for working together as a unit and gaining an understanding

one v one defending i dont think the back four are that bad, Dixon the weakest link, its more when we are defending the box as a team around corners, set pieces etc that we seem to lose it.
Take Collins yesterday, pretty much had Ollie Palmer in his pocket during open play and Clarke was coping ok with Green....but when the free kicks and corners are coming the players get sucked into the ball too easily and panic.  
This is not helped by the ever nervous Macca who only commands 2yd's off his line....a couple of examples caught on the highlights yesterday where the ball is crossed in around the 6 yd line and he doesnt come for it and panic ensues, exactly the same throughout the first 45 mins at Newport.
This area of our game is pretty weak, its readly identifiable but we dont seem to improving it.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 19
Tommy
October 1, 2017, 7:37pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from ginnywings
A point of discussion yesterday was our terrible delivery from corners, free kicks and open play. We said the same as chaos. namely that if you are going to play the type of game Slade favours, then you have to have someone in the side who can deliver a mean free kick and wingers who can beat the first man. Many wasted opportunities yesterday.

I said the same yesterday. Lot of goals scored in L2 from set pieces when often the quality isn't good enough from open play to open up well-organised teams.

Especially in a tight game like yesterday. Some quality deliveries into the box (think Woodhouse from Slade mk1) and you have a real chance of nicking a win.

Ours are either floated in with no pace in it, don't beat the first man, too close to the keeper or is too straight towards goal. Or a combination of those. Must do better as could be the difference between bottom half finish or having half a chance of a play off push late on.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 19
friskneymariner
October 1, 2017, 7:46pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
Also where the players stand at corners all too easy to mark,no one running in to meet corner,noticed Lincoln player's all stood on penalty spot and then dispersed to set positions once kick was taken

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 19
Ahh Sole
October 1, 2017, 7:50pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +411
Quoted from rancido

I do too but it's a sorry state of the squad when you are depending on one player possibly being the answer to our goal scoring problem.

Especially when he's barely played at League level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 19
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › where.....

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.