This thread currently has 8,529 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Skrill
September 30, 2017, 5:46pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +6 / -6
Approval: +604
Lost to South Shields today in the FA Cup third qualifying round, the team Cleethorpes town lost to in the FA Vase Final.  

Plus Cleethorpes town are still unbeaten this season!

[tweet]316134373063806976[/tweet]
Logged Offline
Private Message
TownSNAFU5
September 30, 2017, 5:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
York deserved to lose today.  South Shields on a run of 1 defeat in 51 matches, and top of the league.

Last week York were outplayed and out-thought by free-scoring Harrogate.  After 12 games York are already11 points behind leader Harrogate.  Getting promoted looks bleaker by the day. Gary Mills is on borrowed time as City boss.

York have had the same owner for many years.  He appoints managers who do poorly.  Grimsby could be doing a lot lot worse then.  York made the Div 2 playoffs very recently.   Everything about the club is stagnant.  The very disallusioned fanbase is still strong and they took around 1,800 fans to Harrogate, 20 miles away.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 32
Abdul19
September 30, 2017, 6:16pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
I remember back in the day when Gary Mills was a footballing genius who was going to end up managing Real Madrid.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 32
Ahh Sole
September 30, 2017, 6:29pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +411
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
York deserved to lose today.  South Shields on a run of 1 defeat in 51 matches, and top of the league.

Last week York were outplayed and out-thought by free-scoring Harrogate.  After 12 games York are already11 points behind leader Harrogate.  Getting promoted looks bleaker by the day. Gary Mills is on borrowed time as City boss.

York have had the same owner for many years.  He appoints managers who do poorly.  Grimsby could be doing a lot lot worse then.  York made the Div 2 playoffs very recently.   Everything about the club is stagnant.  The very disallusioned fanbase is still strong and they took around 1,800 fans to Harrogate, 20 miles away.

So, in other words, Harrogate are doing better since John McDermott (our future saviour) left and we should all be happy because York's owner has made an even worse job of it than ours. That'll help me sleep tonight.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 32
Freemoash88
September 30, 2017, 6:43pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +893
Gold Stars: 2
I thank god we've never gone that low. I actually feel for there fans they're a great bunch always been welcoming when we've visited.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 32
tintowner
September 30, 2017, 8:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +603
Gold Stars: 20
Just announced that Gary Mills has been sacked!

Batch, K.Moore, Waters, Wiggington, Crombie, Brolly, Ford, Drinkell, Mitchell, Cumming, Kilmore. D.Moore, Stone, Liddell. ....1979/80..... now that WAS a team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 32
AndyDarloFC
October 2, 2017, 7:48pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +17 / 0
Approval: +1,695
Gold Stars: 33
Our gaffer resigned Sunday morning, then popped up as the York manager 2 hours later.

Illegal approaches lead to him resigning. Hope we get some kind of compo for this, before he comes back and nabs our best players  

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 32
crusty ole pie
October 2, 2017, 8:15pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,311
Gold Stars: 62
Quoted from AndyDarloFC
Our gaffer resigned Sunday morning, then popped up as the York manager 2 hours later.

Illegal approaches lead to him resigning. Hope we get some kind of compo for this, before he comes back and nabs our best players  

Must be tough mate keep the faith I do miss our trip to Darlo
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 32
chaos33
October 2, 2017, 8:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Seems Darlo have appointed from within, which has annoyed my Quakers supporting neighbour, who says it's a cheap option. Can't really understand why Gray would go there. York are in a right mess.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 32
AndyDarloFC
October 2, 2017, 9:39pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
Seems Darlo have appointed from within, which has annoyed my Quakers supporting neighbour, who says it's a cheap option. Can't really understand why Gray would go there. York are in a right mess.

We've appointed our Assistant Manager Brian Atkinson and Coach Sean Gregan as the joint-managment team until the end of the season.

Personally don't think they'll stick around too long, can see them joining Gray at York in a few weeks.

Listened to Gray's interview tonight with BBC Tees and he hasn't shown an ounce of gratitude to the club, arrogant. First excrement spell he's had with the club, and he disappears when it gets tough. York are welcome to him, he won't last.

As for us, it's back to the drawing board. Stabilise ourselves in this league for a couple of years, improve the infrastructure of the club etc & get the ground up to a Conference National level, then kick on.

Never dull supporting Darlington I know that!

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 32
AndyDarloFC
October 13, 2017, 12:25am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from AndyDarloFC

We've appointed our Assistant Manager Brian Atkinson and Coach Sean Gregan as the joint-managment team until the end of the season.

Well they lasted 4 days and had to resign to conflicting interests with them working for Martin Gray at his football academy. On the plus side, that's now a total of 6 members of staff who've left since Martin Gray has. A lot of wedge has been saved on the wage bill from that, totally unnecessary how many staff we had for our level.

Our 2 senior players Gary Brown & Phil Turnbull have taken over as caretaker managers for the time-being and helped us to a 1-1 draw at home to Stockport last weekend, conceding a last minute equaliser to them  

Lots of fantastic applicants applying for the role. So fingers crossed this time next week, we'll have a new gaffer.

On the march we go. #UpTheDarlo

PS; I'll be at another Town game sometime in November, keep up the recent good form. Haway Town!  

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 32
arryarryarry
October 13, 2017, 1:31am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
So why the downturn in your form this season Andy?
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 32
AndyDarloFC
October 13, 2017, 2:39am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry
So why the downturn in your form this season Andy?

We massively over-achieved last season to finish in the playoffs (only to be denied entry due to the ground being utter dog-shite, this season there's more full-time teams in the league. Namely York, Salford, Harrogate, Kidderminster, Nuneaton etc. You've also got teams like Brackley, Spennymoor and Stockport at a push throwing the £££ about.

I'd be happy being in the mix for the playoffs, but the stadium development needs to take precedence for now. We win away to Nuneaton tomorrow and we're back in the playoffs. So it's not all doom and gloom despite 1 win in 11/12 games.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 12 - 32
moosey_club
October 13, 2017, 9:30am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,143
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from AndyDarloFC

We massively over-achieved last season to finish in the playoffs (only to be denied entry due to the ground being utter dog-shite, this season there's more full-time teams in the league. Namely York, Salford, Harrogate, Kidderminster, Nuneaton etc. You've also got teams like Brackley, Spennymoor and Stockport at a push throwing the £££ about.

I'd be happy being in the mix for the playoffs, but the stadium development needs to take precedence for now. We win away to Nuneaton tomorrow and we're back in the playoffs. So it's not all doom and gloom despite 1 win in 11/12 games.

Isn't there a spare fantastic stadium doing nothing up that way ?  

Seriously...is the ground still there mothballed or has it been demolished ?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 32
crusty ole pie
October 13, 2017, 10:03am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

Isn't there a spare fantastic stadium doing nothing up that way ?  

Seriously...is the ground still there mothballed or has it been demolished ?

Just checked google an I maps and they are both showing the ground with pitch and goals in place looks like it's being maintained. Don't know how often these maps are updated but work I did in my garden last year is shown
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 32
The_Laughing_Mariner
October 13, 2017, 10:44am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,040
Gold Stars: 10
I think a rugby club use it

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 32
AndyDarloFC
October 13, 2017, 3:20pm
Table Wine Drinker
We groundshare with Darlington Rugby Club, we've signed a 25 year lease to use the ground.

We paid 50k in the summer to relay the pitch as we use the main pitch now and the use the one at the back of the ground. Since Summer 2015, we've raised close to 250k on paying off debts and building the ground up from scratch basically.

http://www.darlingtonandstockt.....ws_from_next_season/ - It's not much, but it's home and we know we've done this by ourselves with no outside investment. So credit where credit is due.

As for the Arena (That gigantic excrement-hole) - It was bought and is now used by Darlington Mowden Park Rugby Club, lord knows how they can afford that on grounds of 1000 per week. But that's our past now, we've got to look forward and keep doing what we are doing.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 16 - 32
crusty ole pie
October 13, 2017, 5:57pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from AndyDarloFC
We groundshare with Darlington Rugby Club, we've signed a 25 year lease to use the ground.

We paid 50k in the summer to relay the pitch as we use the main pitch now and the use the one at the back of the ground. Since Summer 2015, we've raised close to 250k on paying off debts and building the ground up from scratch basically.

http://www.darlingtonandstockt.....ws_from_next_season/ - It's not much, but it's home and we know we've done this by ourselves with no outside investment. So credit where credit is due.

As for the Arena (That gigantic excrement-hole) - It was bought and is now used by Darlington Mowden Park Rugby Club, lord knows how they can afford that on grounds of 1000 per week. But that's our past now, we've got to look forward and keep doing what we are doing.

Keep up the good work it's a crying shame that with all the money wasted in premiershite that a small proportion could not have been used to save your proud club
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 32
KingstonMariner
October 13, 2017, 6:17pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
£250k in just over 2 years is amazing Andy. When you get back to where you belong it will be so satisfying for all involved.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 32
AndyDarloFC
October 13, 2017, 7:31pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from crusty ole pie

Keep up the good work it's a crying shame that with all the money wasted in premiershite that a small proportion could not have been used to save your proud club

We did save our club though   We just got demoted 4 leagues because our ex chairman failed to hand over the Football Share of the club and never signed over the CVA agreement. If we was a new club, why did the FA make us take on old debts of the club, if we were classed as a 'new club'.

The only thing that is new about Darlo is our "football name" which is Darlington FC1883 LTD. We reverted back to our old name Darlington FC from Darlington 1883 in the summer after the whoppers at the FA forced a name change.

We'll be back, don't know when. Don't know how, but we will be   Positive thoughts.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 19 - 32
grimsby pete
October 13, 2017, 7:36pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from AndyDarloFC

We did save our club though   We just got demoted 4 leagues because our ex chairman failed to hand over the Football Share of the club and never signed over the CVA agreement. If we was a new club, why did the FA make us take on old debts of the club, if we were classed as a 'new club'.

The only thing that is new about Darlo is our "football name" which is Darlington FC1883 LTD. We reverted back to our old name Darlington FC from Darlington 1883 in the summer after the whoppers at the FA forced a name change.

We'll be back, don't know when. Don't know how, but we will be   Positive thoughts.

Hope you are back as soon as possible Andy,

Look at Wimbledon you can do the same and leap frog us.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 32
KingstonMariner
October 13, 2017, 9:17pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from AndyDarloFC

That's just frigging typical of the FA. Right up there with the Milton Keynes thing. And the biggest own goal of them all. Sponsoring the Premier League in their power struggle with the Football League.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 32
AndyDarloFC
October 16, 2017, 8:22pm
Table Wine Drinker
Alun Armstrong has turned Darlo down. He told Blyth they had to match the wages we offered him for him to stay.

They obliged and matched wages.

So we've turned our attentions to former Darlo & Grimsby striker Tommy Wright, who manages Nuneaton (who beat us 2-1 at the weekend) & he now looks odds on to join us as he still has a house in the area & his missus has a business here.

Not really sure how to take this to be honest. Surely we could have attracted better?!

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 22 - 32
gtfc98
October 16, 2017, 8:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,038
Gold Stars: 65
Quoted from AndyDarloFC
Alun Armstrong has turned Darlo down. He told Blyth they had to match the wages we offered him for him to stay.

They obliged and matched wages.

So we've turned our attentions to former Darlo & Grimsby striker Tommy Wright, who manages Nuneaton (who beat us 2-1 at the weekend) & he now looks odds on to join us as he still has a house in the area & his missus has a business here.

Not really sure how to take this to be honest. Surely we could have attracted better?!

Hasn't he done fairly well at Nuneaton? Hopefully he's a better manager than he was a player!

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 32
AndyDarloFC
October 16, 2017, 9:20pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from gtfc98

Hasn't he done fairly well at Nuneaton? Hopefully he's a better manager than he was a player!

17th in the league, they're a full-time team aswell.

Massively under-achieving. Wouldn't be thrilled if he became gaffer.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 24 - 32
chaos33
October 16, 2017, 9:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Thought Hignett might be for it....

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 32
Abdul19
October 16, 2017, 9:42pm

Season Ticket Holder
How about Tino Asprilla?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 32
gtfc98
October 16, 2017, 11:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,038
Gold Stars: 65
Sorry Darlo I thought he was doing better than that. What league are you guys in now?

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 32
AndyDarloFC
October 17, 2017, 5:43pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from gtfc98
Sorry Darlo I thought he was doing better than that. What league are you guys in now?

Conference North mate. So steady away, we've had 3 promotions, 1 loss in a play-off semi final and 1 rejection of being able to compete in the play-offs as our ground didn't mean standards to go up (This was last season).

Tommy Wright has now turned us down after reading the negative reaction of fans about hos proposed appointment.

All becoming a bit of a mess now. We're a joke, never dull at all.

Hope you lot do the business against Cheltenham tonight. Never liked that club. So haway Town!!

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 28 - 32
Mariner_09
October 17, 2017, 6:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,189
Gold Stars: 54
Does anyone like Cheltenham? They must be the new Leeds, apart from arguably Forest Green I don't any club such low regard. Wright, Pell that smug little git of a manager of there's who coaches gamesmanship and cheating into them is possibly as despicable an individual as anyone else in football (including Dale Vince and John Terry). If Man U or Chelsea were to play FGR or Cheltenham I'd want Man U or Chelsea to win!

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 32
AndyDarloFC
October 27, 2017, 1:34pm
Table Wine Drinker
Well Tommy Wright had a change of heart and has taken over as manager alongside Alan White as his assistant.

Don’t know an awful lot about them as managers etc, but as players they were tenacious and passionate. Hopefully that can bode well for us and reignite some confidence in these players starting with Blyth away tomorrow.

If you lot are feeling generous, send us a creative midfielder, half decent centre half and a proven goal-scorer and I’ll get the lot of you a pint haha.

Will be keeping an eye out for the Town score tomorrow when I am up in deepest Northumberland.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 30 - 32
arryarryarry
October 27, 2017, 1:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from AndyDarloFC
Well Tommy Wright had a change of heart and has taken over as manager alongside Alan White as his assistant.

Don’t know an awful lot about them as managers etc, but as players they were tenacious and passionate. Hopefully that can bode well for us and reignite some confidence in these players starting with Blyth away tomorrow.

If you lot are feeling generous, send us a creative midfielder, half decent centre half and a proven goal-scorer and I’ll get the lot of you a pint haha.

Will be keeping an eye out for the Town score tomorrow when I am up in deepest Northumberland.

That's a coincidence I was just about to ask you the same.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 32
Abdul19
October 27, 2017, 1:46pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from AndyDarloFC

Harry Clifton could do with some games (or 'game time' as people are contractually bound to say these days)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 32
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › York

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.