Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › The Lincoln play off game
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 325 Guests

The Lincoln play off game

This thread currently has 3,972 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
sonofmadeleymariner
September 28, 2017, 10:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,399
Gold Stars: 35
To have someone like Bolland running the show in midfield, Sgt Whittle in defence, Lump or Reddy leading the line. I don't think any of the current squad would be able to get into that firs 11 from that season

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 23
mariner91
September 28, 2017, 10:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,255
Gold Stars: 253
Agreed, none of our current 11 would get near that starting line up. Oh for a Lump  

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 23
Tommy
September 28, 2017, 11:47pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Junior bloody Mendes  

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 23
1mickylyons
September 29, 2017, 6:34am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,261
Gold Stars: 54
Quoted from Ipswin
I wish we had the majority of that squad now

I bet RS does as well
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 23
Mendonca1995
September 29, 2017, 6:52am
Super Clive mendonca how much would he cost now
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +903
Gold Stars: 15
This is the problem now with this hoof ball what is being played back in those days we had the player quality to be that direct with jones as a great target man and reddy in behind who was arguably one of towns best ever strikers or at least in my time as a town fan from 1990 onwards but we could also play on the deck when needed nowadays football has changed so much i terms of tactics formations and many others aspects of the game it doesn't seem to be working at the moment for us and all fans pay good Money to see exciting football but since maybe chesterfield away I have not seen that hope we can really get our selves motivated as fans and players alike and put on a big performance against the gimps it would give the club a much needed boost and hopefully kick start this stop/start season we are having COME ON TOWN over to you RUSS ⚫️⚪️

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 23
Maringer
September 29, 2017, 8:02am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,143
Gold Stars: 180
Thing about Lump was that he didn't actually win many headers from punts upfield, but the ones he did invariably found one of our players and he made enough of a nuisance of himself that our midfielders (who were quite mobile) tended to pick up the second ball more often. Give him a headed chance in the box and he'd invariably hit the target or nod it down for a teammate. Very classy player - you don't get many footballers who move upfield as they get older - he was a midfielder earlier in his career, I believe?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 23
Hagrid
September 29, 2017, 9:55am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,986
Gold Stars: 508
Great player,really was
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 23
Maringer
September 29, 2017, 10:51am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,143
Gold Stars: 180
I remember being surprised when he left because I just assumed he'd stay on for another season. I think it was something to do with wanting to move back across the other side of the country for his family's sake. Possibly the niggling injury he had been dealing with as well? A real pity.

I was hoping Vernon would be Lumpaldinho-esque when he signed but unfortunately he's not at that level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 23
barralad
September 29, 2017, 11:15am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,197
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from Maringer
I remember being surprised when he left because I just assumed he'd stay on for another season. I think it was something to do with wanting to move back across the other side of the country for his family's sake. Possibly the niggling injury he had been dealing with as well? A real pity.

I was hoping Vernon would be Lumpaldinho-esque when he signed but unfortunately he's not at that level.

When did he actually leave? In my mind I have a memory of him scoring the winner in a cup replay against Carlisle probably 2007(?). It involved Danny North in the build up and Jones hit it with the outside of his boot. A thing of beauty..

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 23
RichMariner
September 29, 2017, 11:22am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
Lump used to bring out the best in the players around him.

I remember a game at Morecambe when Buckley 'rested' a few players and paired Lump with Bore up top, and we won 4-0.

I don't think I've seen another striker in my day make the ball 'stick' up front as well as he did. He's also one of the best decision-makers I've seen in a black and white shirt - a proper football brain - and he wasn't lacking in skill either (I remember him creaming a strike into the far corner with the outside of his foot).

I also thought he and North had a good understanding, but for whatever reason Buckley mark III wasn't massively keen on pairing them together.

Lump was too good for League 2 in the role Slade played him. Sadly Matt & Vernon aren't really close to his quality. Hooper isn't Reddy, and Sam Jones - while great - is just completely different from those I've mentioned.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 19 - 23
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › The Lincoln play off game

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.