Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Classic Threads › When did we last play good football?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 32 Guests

When did we last play good football?

This thread currently has 11,429 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Gaffer58
September 30, 2017, 11:19pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,035
Gold Stars: 31
If you whatch the Spanish league, not just Barcelona and Real Madrid, then the thing that stands out is that they are all comfortable with the ball, they can 9 times out of 10 pass to a team mate, where as most British players can usually only manage it at best about 50% of the time. Jordan Henderson at Liverpool is a prime example, he is both England and Liverpool captain and possibly classed as a good player, but how many of the La Liga teams would he get in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 63
Swansea_Mariner
October 1, 2017, 9:48am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,386
Gold Stars: 62
The game I most enjoyed the most in the last decade (apart from winning at Wembley) was AB3 first home game against Accrington. We absolutely played beautifully that day and I'll never know how Rankine didn't at least get a hatric.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 63
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 1, 2017, 10:10am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
The last time we played good football was when we got enough points and won the play offs to get promoted.

To be quite frank and honest and reasonable about this - it’s all a load of balderdash. Would people be saying the Buckley days were great if we had played his style and got nowhere? In any case we didn’t play the beautiful game every week even for him.

The best football I remember from Town teams was under three forgotten managers - Jimmy McGuigan, Ron Ashman and a bit later under Tom Casey. None of them got us promoted. The last 2 got sacked! The football I have enjoyed most was under McMenemy, Newman, Kerr, Booth and Buckley because we won and went up.

Huddersfield last year got promoted by parking the bus and hitting sides on the break. Totally boring and stifling. The manager had a team of unknowns and drilled them to do it. Of course if the other side scores first you are usually bu99ered and when it happened they got toasted just like they did on Saturday. His clone at Norwich this season is doing the same. If they get promoted, in years to come the Carrow Road faithful will be on their keyboards with “do you remember when ....” and “that was a good side”.

As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 63
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 1, 2017, 12:16pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Gaffer58
If you whatch the Spanish league, not just Barcelona and Real Madrid, then the thing that stands out is that they are all comfortable with the ball, they can 9 times out of 10 pass to a team mate, where as most British players can usually only manage it at best about 50% of the time. Jordan Henderson at Liverpool is a prime example, he is both England and Liverpool captain and possibly classed as a good player, but how many of the La Liga teams would he get in.

And if you watch recordings of the Leeds and the Liverpool sides of the 70s & 80s you will see exactly the same game as Barcelona play now. People like John Giles, Phil Thompson & St John used to say that training was 90% five and six a side games that would be stopped if the player with the ball did not have at least two passing options.

Unfortunately there is little film of the Spurs side in the 50s that played the push and run style here before we got misled into thinking the Hungarians invented it. And who played in that side for years? Alf Ramsay.

I’m not poo-pooing your point at all though. British teams got hung up on formations and tactics and forgot the ball. But I would say that there is very little that is new in what Spain or whoever do on the pitch. The point is always, who does it better? I would bet that Jordan Henderson in training can do just the same tricks and control of a football as any Spaniard but he doesn’t do it in a game. I watched Carlton Palmer in training once at Sheffield Wed and his control was so good you thought the ball was superglued to he boot. Remember how crap he was for England and how the ball used to bounce off him? The question we should ask is not why can’t  they but  why don’t they?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 63
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Classic Threads › When did we last play good football?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.