Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › When did we last play good football?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 8 Guests

When did we last play good football?

This thread currently has 11,489 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
September 28, 2017, 7:45pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Hmmm! Sounds like the sort of comment is Hurst 'haters' used to say Herts.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 63
jamesgtfc
September 28, 2017, 7:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,941
Gold Stars: 190
The last time I saw us play good football was one of the early Bignot games, against Carlisle at home where I think we drew 2-2. I left that game very entertained and thought the Bignot era would have brought the crowds flooding back.

Since Buckley II we have probably had a few good games under most managers but the style has largely been statistic based.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 63
nightrider
September 28, 2017, 11:56pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
Says it all when the best season under Scott & Hurst was the one where we finished mid table
I went to Southport a couple of seasons ago, last game. Anyone remember that?
The fans turned out in force, Southport were all but relegated. Ended in a draw. What a miserable game. That was hoof ball at its finest. According to Hurst it was a good point and we played well in patches no doubt

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 63
Abdul19
September 29, 2017, 7:49am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,513
Gold Stars: 215
The midtable season in question was good for a 12 game spell. The 34 either side were bloody awful!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 63
diehardmariner
September 29, 2017, 1:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,396
Gold Stars: 532
As a poster above states, early Bignot games were so promising. He really looked like he was going to loosen the shackles of the more disciplined Hurst regime.

Thing is in January he added players that strengthened us where we needed it (Clements, Osborne, Jones).  Just so happens we also lost Bogle and he had already gone crazy with his tactics. Plus of course he brought in countless players we didn't need.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 63
barralad
September 29, 2017, 1:49pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,268
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from Abdul19
The midtable season in question was good for a 12 game spell. The 34 either side were bloody awful!

This makes a great point. Only someone with a very serious case of nostalgia could ever point to the reign of any manager as being consistently good (or bad). The often quoted game against Huddersfield remains the best 90 minutes from a Town team I've seen in 48 years of watching them but it can and does overshadow games in the Buckley eras that were frustratingly bad. Even Buckley had the ability to split the fan base. Someone has already alluded to the complaints from the Pontoon about "Tippy tappy football" which often produced nothing. Had The Fishy been around in 93/94 it would have been interesting to see the take on an evening game v Port Vale where there were less than 4K in attendance for a game in tier 2 (Buckley had the last laugh  as Town hammered Vale 4-1 that night with some breathtaking attacking football.)!!!!  I don't think Town won many of their first 10 games of the 97/98 season. I well remember fans being interviewed when Buckley was sacked (grossly unfairly in my view) in 2000 after a draw away at Portsmouth and even allowing for Look Norths possible agenda I don't recall anything being said  other than variations of "Its boring" or "He's taken us as far as he can". Great spells in my experience come in small doses. My favourite this century was the last 10 games of the 2001/02 season where Boulding, Allen and Pouton not forgetting Andy Todd at the back steamrollered Palace, Wimbledon and Burnley won away at Wolves for the first time in years and got a point at Norwich. Hurst (and Shouty) had small good spells (2013 where we beat Wrexham to go top just before Christmas springs to mind) but excluding Buckley's repeated spells over his time here the standout spells were under Laws when Bonetti first arrived and before that a 20 match unbeaten run in 83/84 when the magnificent Chris Nicholl ruled the pitch. The 79/80 team were magnificent from October onwards and for me the only complete season where watching Town made you constantly excited was 1971/72.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 63
realist
September 29, 2017, 1:55pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,689
Gold Stars: 41
You have stirred some memories there Barra. I wish that I had known at the time that it was to be our best era ever, I would never have complained once.
Happy days
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 63
Maringer
September 29, 2017, 2:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,396
Gold Stars: 184
It's also odd to think that, despite how good the football often was under Buckley, we never really got that close to actually winning the title of the division we were in. When promoted out of the Fourth Division, we finished ten points (!) behind Exeter, we only sneaked promotion the following year on goal difference and, in the Buckley Mk II era, we finished 13 points from an automatic promotion spot!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 63
GrimRob
September 29, 2017, 5:16pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Maringer
It's also odd to think that, despite how good the football often was under Buckley, we never really got that close to actually winning the title of the division we were in. When promoted out of the Fourth Division, we finished ten points (!) behind Exeter, we only sneaked promotion the following year on goal difference and, in the Buckley Mk II era, we finished 13 points from an automatic promotion spot!

Playing "good" football all the time probably isn't the best strategy. Keeping the opposition guessing on how you are going to play is probably worth a few points a season IMHO. And it depends how the opposition play how you can and should play yourself.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 48 - 63
KingstonMariner
September 29, 2017, 6:08pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from GrimRob

Playing "good" football all the time probably isn't the best strategy. Keeping the opposition guessing on how you are going to play is probably worth a few points a season IMHO. And it depends how the opposition play how you can and should play yourself.

You're right in principle Rob. But getting players at this level to adapt as individuals is difficult. Getting to adapt as a team is nigh on impossible.

It was frustrating at times seeing the slow methodical build up of play under Buckley, when sometimes a quick ball over the top would have produced better results occasionally. But with our budgets, even relatively higher than we are now, probably didn't run to that kind of adaptability even if Buckley had allowed it!

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 63
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › When did we last play good football?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.