Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › When did we last play good football?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 21 Guests

When did we last play good football?

This thread currently has 11,534 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
TAGG
September 27, 2017, 9:14pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,962
Gold Stars: 124
FFS mate for the last 15years we have been getting relegated, playing non league or been in the bargain basement of the league.
What do you expect Brazil circa 1970??

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 63
promotion plaice
September 27, 2017, 9:15pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,045
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from Cambs Mariner
Hurst

Welcome to the madness that is "The Fishy" Cambs Mariner    

I wasn't a fan but yes........Hurst.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 63
HertsGTFC
September 27, 2017, 9:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from ginnywings
Buckley spoiled us i think. Never seen better football anywhere and it was brilliant in it's simplicity. Play the ball quickly and move into space. I think most footballers at this level now have nothing but speed, fitness and organisation. You don't see many truly skillful players now. They are all much of a muchness.

At our level I would completely agree with this............."We need more technical ability in the squad" so we and the existing squad where once told,

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 63
Cambs Mariner
September 27, 2017, 9:37pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +1,233
Thank you Promotion Plaice.

Hurst isn't a dynamic manager but he knows how to instil a team spirit.
He is still learning his trade but he will go far.
And no I am not related to him in any way before the Anti Hurst brigade come out of the woodwork.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 63
lowerfindus
September 27, 2017, 9:42pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +202
Gold Stars: 2
Anyone saying Hurst has dodgy glasses on. His football ideas were cautious and pragmatic. His obsession with target men started with Damien Spencer remember, Ben Tomlinson, LJL, Scott Vernon to name a few. His refusal to find and play decent wingers on both side of the pitch left us with players constantly out of position. They guy never ever got a partner for Disley and when he did (Clay or Nolan) he played that Robinson from Luton for which he was rightly critiseductive or played Nolan on the left.
The list of naff centre midfielders adds class like Derek Niven and Anthony Church.

I could go one but what's the point. The little fella needed his frown turning upside down. He's gone to Shrewsbury good luck good riddance.  Let's not paint him out to be something better than he was. On the budgets he had available he never got near the conference title. Was lucky to get a long run without being removed for failing to get promoted. Disliked the one true talented player we signed when in the conference in Bogle and promptly let the core of a team most supporters appreciated for their efforts if not their skill all sodomist off!!

So, back to the original point.

Good football? God knows.

But it would be nice to see some players attempt some pass and move play. Maybe, controversially under Woods we played some decent stuff. Thumping Mansfield,  Histon,  hayes? But there again. That ended well didn't it.

Never drink in a pub with a flat roof.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 63
KingstonMariner
September 27, 2017, 9:48pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I agree a lot of PH's time here was "functional & pragmatic" but with non league players you get non league football. There where some bright spots both home and away,

That's why I qualified it by reference to the level we were at.

Actually that Cambridge team we played that night played some good stuff that season. I'm sure there were others that were 'easy on the eye' too.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 63
HertsGTFC
September 27, 2017, 9:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from KingstonMariner

That's why I qualified it by reference to the level we were at.

Actually that Cambridge team we played that night played some good stuff that season. I'm sure there were others that were 'easy on the eye' too.

Yeah I thought Luton where decent after Christmas the year they went up.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 63
grimsbybrown
September 27, 2017, 10:25pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 2
Being controversial -

I'd say Slade, in the first five or six games of his first stint at the club.

I also thought Laws started well in terms of style too, again, just the early games - he seemed to iron out the latter weaknesses of Buckleyball - playing pretty football but no goal threat whatsoever, and to some extent no excitement.

Most others have been limited by budgets and quality of players - or have been more pragmatic.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 63
KingstonMariner
September 27, 2017, 10:33pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from grimsbybrown
Being controversial -

I'd say Slade, in the first five or six games of his first stint at the club.

I also thought Laws started well in terms of style too, again, just the early games - he seemed to iron out the latter weaknesses of Buckleyball - playing pretty football but no goal threat whatsoever, and to some extent no excitement.

Most others have been limited by budgets and quality of players - or have been more pragmatic.

Good calls. Not controversial IMO.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 63
toontown
September 28, 2017, 1:11am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,259
Gold Stars: 70
GrimsbyBrown just basically posted what i would have said. Laws took the buckleyesque football and briefly improved it by varying it a little and making it more pragmatic.
Slade inhis first season played good football (as in on the deck/pass and move) with sestanovich being a talent on the rare occasions he could be bothered to try. i particulary remember him being the best player on the park against premiership at the time (i think) Charlton.
in the final non-league season we played our best football down the left with conor townsend, monkhouse, bogle and amond playing some lovely well worked stuff. when townsend left that stopped. i would say under Hurst it wasgenerally mixed with some good football and some less so particularly being prone to hoofs from the back and/or long balls to monkhouse/the shop.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 63
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › When did we last play good football?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.