Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › well that was just...sh1t wasnt it?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 255 Guests

well that was just...sh1t wasnt it?

This thread currently has 10,090 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
headingly_mariner
September 27, 2017, 7:50am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,318
Gold Stars: 113
Can't keep changing managers every 6 months again, that's the shite that got us relegated. Drop the debt and clear the boardroom.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 62
Garth
September 27, 2017, 7:51am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Its simple really, every ball hoofed aimlessly forward percentage wise will be lost to the opposition, balls worked from defence through midfield to the strikers means retaining possession and not seeing the ball turned over to defend so much.

Last night we were poor but still had the greater number of chances to have won the game-----reason poor finishing, goal keeper error, wrong tactics and subs being too late to make a difference.

Some players did not put a shift in and were anonymous, that surely can`t be acceptable and it seems from his comments that Slade tried to gloss over what was a dull game, still looking fwd to Saturday,  though a bit of fire in the belly of some of our players would not go amiss

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 62
rancido
September 27, 2017, 8:34am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,527
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Can't keep changing managers every 6 months again, that's the shite that got us relegated. Drop the debt and clear the boardroom.

Agree, but there was no need to sack MB mid-season when we were mid-table in the first place! IMO it was only because Coventry sacked RS and he became available that JF made the decision to sack MB. At least MB was trying to experiment with some players and see how they coped in positions out of there comfort zone. Jones came as an attacking mid-fielder but MB played him as a striker and it worked. MB already sussed out that Berrett and Summerfield were not good enough and shipped them out on loan. RS has brought in 11 players and re-signed 2 so all this crap about his budget is irrelevant. Admittedly RS has been unfortunate with key injuries ( 2 MB signings ! ) but it doesn't gloss over the fact that most of his signings are not good enough. It would have been more cost effective to have paid off Berrett and Summerfield, kept Pearson and not signed Clarke ( who will be on more money than SP anyway ) and just signed 6 or 7 players. Lets face it the performances couldn't have been worse!

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 62
RoboCod
September 27, 2017, 10:33am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
I'm now very much of the opinion that Slade is a fading force. On the field is bad enough, seeing combo after combo, formation re-shuffles galore and still no coherent system.
Off the field his comments are dismal, reading the GET after the Colchester game..

"We have been a little bit up and down.
We have got to stay in the mix, especially while we evolve, while we develop and while we find combinations.
There will be a few changes for the game.
It won’t be from a tactical point of view, but we need to get some fresh legs out there.
We don’t want to be stale. We want to get on the front foot."

That isn't a collection of Slade soundbites by the way, that's one interview.
He sounds desperate and out of ideas. We keep him on board and steady things for a mid-table finish but get that radar on for any fresh and upcoming management talent to step into the role in a flash (yes, like Bignot) is all I can suggest, being as honest and fair as I can.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 62
chicaneuk
September 27, 2017, 10:45am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,467
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from rancido

Agree, but there was no need to sack MB mid-season when we were mid-table in the first place! IMO it was only because Coventry sacked RS and he became available that JF made the decision to sack MB. At least MB was trying to experiment with some players and see how they coped in positions out of there comfort zone. Jones came as an attacking mid-fielder but MB played him as a striker and it worked. MB already sussed out that Berrett and Summerfield were not good enough and shipped them out on loan. RS has brought in 11 players and re-signed 2 so all this crap about his budget is irrelevant. Admittedly RS has been unfortunate with key injuries ( 2 MB signings ! ) but it doesn't gloss over the fact that most of his signings are not good enough. It would have been more cost effective to have paid off Berrett and Summerfield, kept Pearson and not signed Clarke ( who will be on more money than SP anyway ) and just signed 6 or 7 players. Lets face it the performances couldn't have been worse!

Exactly. I know Bignot divided the opinions of the fanbase a bit, but he at least deserved the chance to see out the season. Let's be honest.. we were never going to go straight up again.. that just wasn't on the cards. So realistically a competitive mid-table finish was a desirable outcome and we were on track to do that, so what did we have to lose by letting him finish off the season? I just don't understand what the board thought that Slade was going to bring to the table given his lack of results in recent years.

I think Bignot was the more interesting proposition at this point with more chance to grow / develop / improve whereas it feels like Slade has probably peaked.

I said at the time I felt it was a bad decision and again I've seen precisely nothing that makes me feel I was wrong. Sure, we had a pretty decent pre-season but once again it proves that pre-season results count for nothing   
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 62
friskneymariner
September 27, 2017, 10:59am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
This situation was inevitable from the day we signed him to replace Bignot.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 62
tanga_the_indestructible
September 27, 2017, 11:20am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +613
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from GTFCH
There was no point saying anything at the time stating on here that Hurst was right when he said we’d been spoilt by some of the Football we’d been playing in the conference but I knew he was bang on or at least had a point. Slade as a fan mentioned on here last season looks at how teams in this division get promoted and it is not unfortunately through passing it round teams a lot of the time it’s winning ugly a lot of the time which gets you where you want to be.

I'm sorry but this is nonsense. I don't see any evidence of long-ball teams pissing this league. We were passed off the park last season by Portsmouth, who were quicker to the second balls and moved it around better than any team I saw in L2. I just don't think this theory holds water anymore.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 62
lew chaterleys lover
September 27, 2017, 11:29am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,653
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Dont accept that at all. A manager is at his strongest when first appointed & if he wanted certain players out he should have insisted they go. He was always going to bring in Nathan Clarke, who is IMO not a better player then Pearson and is less mobile, Sam Kelly one of his first recruits should also be the first to leave, Dixon is the worst left back we have had since first year in the conference. He has an unbalanced squad and has failed to use players who I believe would make us a better team name Osbourne (K), Clements and Big Tom. DJ also not getting a fair crack and Sam Jones has to start.

I actually believe we will improve but my faith is getting stretched to its absolute limit and add in the fact that being at BP is like sitting in a church without the singing!!!

But my point is that he had a list of first choice targets and they knocked him back because we wouldn't pay the going rate.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 62
Maringer
September 27, 2017, 11:39am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,403
Gold Stars: 184

I'm sorry but this is nonsense. I don't see any evidence of long-ball teams pissing this league. We were passed off the park last season by Portsmouth, who were quicker to the second balls and moved it around better than any team I saw in L2. I just don't think this theory holds water anymore.

Most teams at this level aren't able to spend half of what Portsmouth did on players so that's a slightly false comparison.

That said, traditional long-ball stuff certainly isn't going to be enough, especially as we don't have the players for it in any case.

I think it's a case of playing it along the ground when we can, putting it long when necessary and then making sure we pick up more of the second balls off the forwards to get the wingers involved. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if the strikers have enough of a threat for this and the central midfield isn't dynamic enough at present either. Wingers also need to achieve more as we don't have the legs at full-back to get up into attack all the way through the game. Quite a lot missing, really.

Slade was obviously attempting to get the team to play 4-2-3-1 during the earlier games of the season but that hasn't worked out so we appear to be onto plan B already!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 62
oldun
September 27, 2017, 11:45am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Agree we miss the full backs adding to the attacking threat. Dixon hardly ventures over th halfway line. Davies does get forward a bit and puts crosses in but is the caught out on the break if we lose it. Need Mills back and we certainly miss Andrew on the left.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 62
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › well that was just...sh1t wasnt it?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.