Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back.
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 116 Guests

Just back.

This thread currently has 5,078 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Grimal
September 24, 2017, 7:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +2,850
Gold Stars: 8
Unless it's been removed for some reason   I havn't seen a just back thread. Well here goes then, I've just got back from three enjoyable days staying with friends in Newport. Sorry to say the only disappointment was the first 45 minutes of the match, we could easily have been 4 -0 down in the first 20 minutes if it wasn't for some excellent blocks from Macca and another headed off the line by I think it was Clark and have to say some pretty dire shooting from the Newport forwards. Rose was having a mare and wasn't surprised to see him replaced at half time.
In the first half we didn't look to have a clue how to clear our own box and the ball was continually coming straight back in to the danger area, I thought here we go again another performance like Crewe away last season. God knows how we kept it to 0-0 at half time.As the second half got underway I was pleased to see Sommerfield who as of late has played well, on for Rose, I'm sure Slade must have stuck a rocket up their ar$es as they played like a completely different team, I never thought that Sommerfield would ever transform a game but yesterday he for me was MOM by a mile. We also looked much more of a threat when DJ replaced Dembele, both Sommerfield and DJ deserve a start on Tuesday. The Amond goal was from a long throw into our box and the usual gift goal handed on a plate,once again terrible defensive marking,we know what Amond is, a jack in the box and he was completely unmarked. We huffed and puffed and on the second half display,in my opinion we just shaded it and perhaps deserved something out the game.  On Saturday morning I had a walk around Newport shopping precinct I bumped into a young man named Padraig Amond,he was with a middle aged couple,perhaps his mother and father, I had a bit of a chat and said to him in a jovial way that he's going to be playing for the wrong team that afternoon and he replied to me in a quite serious way that "He didn't want me", don't really know who he meant by "He". I replied to him, that everyone else would have been very happy for him to be playing for GTFC. I jokingly said "don't you score against us today and he just replied "I'll try" .not sure if he meant try not to score or I'll try to score.   .   Anyway he's a likeable young man.    We move on and hopefully 3 points on Tuesday night.  UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
crusty ole pie
September 24, 2017, 7:14pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,311
Gold Stars: 62
Quoted from Grimal
Unless it's been removed for some reason   I havn't seen a just back thread. Well here goes then, I've just got back from three enjoyable days staying with friends in Newport. Sorry to say the only disappointment was the first 45 minutes of the match, we could easily have been 4 -0 down in the first 20 minutes if it wasn't for some excellent blocks from Macca and another headed off the line by I think it was Clark and have to say some pretty dire shooting from the Newport forwards. Rose was having a mare and wasn't surprised to see him replaced at half time.
In the first half we didn't look to have a clue how to clear our own box and the ball was continually coming straight back in to the danger area, I thought here we go again another performance like Crewe away last season. God knows how we kept it to 0-0 at half time.As the second half got underway I was pleased to see Sommerfield who as of late has played well, on for Rose, I'm sure Slade must have stuck a rocket up their ar$es as they played like a completely different team, I never thought that Sommerfield would ever transform a game but yesterday he for me was MOM by a mile. We also looked much more of a threat when DJ replaced Dembele, both Sommerfield and DJ deserve a start on Tuesday. The Amond goal was from a long throw into our box and the usual gift goal handed on a plate,once again terrible defensive marking,we know what Amond is, a jack in the box and he was completely unmarked. We huffed and puffed and on the second half display,in my opinion we just shaded it and perhaps deserved something out the game.  On Saturday morning I had a walk around Newport shopping precinct I bumped into a young man named Padraig Amond,he was with a middle aged couple,perhaps his mother and father, I had a bit of a chat and said to him in a jovial way that he's going to be playing for the wrong team that afternoon and he replied to me in a quite serious way that "He didn't want me", don't really know who he meant by "He". I replied to him, that everyone else would have been very happy for him to be playing for GTFC. I jokingly said "don't you score against us today and he just replied "I'll try" .not sure if he meant try not to score or I'll try to score.   .   Anyway he's a likeable young man.    We move on and hopefully 2 points on Tuesday night.  UTM.

Are we going to draw twice on Tuesday or win and gift them a point for trying laugh out loud

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 14
chaos33
September 24, 2017, 7:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
The 'he' in your story is Hurst.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 14
barralad
September 24, 2017, 7:38pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,194
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from Grimal
In the first half we didn't look to have a clue how to clear our own box and the ball was continually coming straight back in to the danger area, I thought here we go again another performance like Crewe away last season. God knows how we kept it to 0-0 at half time.As the second half got underway I was pleased to see Sommerfield who as of late has played well, on for Rose, I'm sure Slade must have stuck a rocket up their ar$es as they played like a completely different team, I never thought that Sommerfield would ever transform a game but yesterday he for me was MOM by a mile. We also looked much more of a threat when DJ replaced Dembele, both Sommerfield and DJ deserve a start on Tuesday. The Amond goal was from a long throw into our box and the usual gift goal handed on a plate,once again terrible defensive marking,we know what Amond is, a jack in the box and he was completely unmarked. We huffed and puffed and on the second half display,in my opinion we just shaded it and perhaps deserved something out the game.  On Saturday morning I had a walk around Newport shopping precinct I bumped into a young man named Padraig Amond,he was with a middle aged couple,perhaps his mother and father, I had a bit of a chat and said to him in a jovial way that he's going to be playing for the wrong team that afternoon and he replied to me in a quite serious way that "He didn't want me", don't really know who he meant by "He". I replied to him, that everyone else would have been very happy for him to be playing for GTFC. I jokingly said "don't you score against us today and he just replied "I'll try" .not sure if he meant try not to score or I'll try to score.   .   Anyway he's a likeable young man.    We move on and hopefully 2 points on Tuesday night.  UTM.

Thanks for the report. Must be the latest ever Just Back thread. Interesting to hear that there was an improvement second half

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 14
A.l.f.
September 24, 2017, 7:46pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +687
Gold Stars: 7
I too have just returned after a lovely long weekend away and would agree with Grimal.  Summerfield changed the game, but my main problem was we failed to put balls in to their box in the second half when we had opportunities to.  The strikers had very little to feed off.  We definately shaded the second half and could have got something out of the match.
There was very little between the teams except they were far more physical and bullied us a bit.  We always seem to struggle against those teams, wheras when we play footballing sides like Crewe, we are ok.

Would happily taking losing at Newport for a win against Lincoln this Saturday though.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 14
HertsGTFC
September 24, 2017, 7:52pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,632
Gold Stars: 217
Well done for those that went to the game, thanks for the post. I guess if Hurst had been that keen on Podge he would be playing for Shrewsbury now. Then again the lad you met failed to include during that close season we offered him another year but he chose not to sign it as he wanted longer, allegedly M'Lord.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 14
grimsby pete
September 24, 2017, 7:56pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from A.l.f.
I

Would happily taking losing at Newport for a win against Lincoln this Saturday though.  

Plus a win against Colchester as well  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 14
Mrs Doyle
September 24, 2017, 8:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from Grimal

Nice report and a refreshing insight into events ON the field.

Clearly loads of work to do it's a big squad but with this sort of form it's up to how much those players really want to play first team football.

If it was me I would be busting a gut to play every game. We now have two home games to get back on track.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 14
Grimal
September 24, 2017, 8:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from crusty ole pie

Are we going to draw twice on Tuesday or win and gift them a point for trying laugh out loud

Just rectified  ,  Threw me a bit, with another thread on about pre-war GTFC quality of teams and if I recall wasn't it 2 points for a win in those days ?  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 14
Abdul19
September 24, 2017, 8:41pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
He didn't want me (but offered me a contract anyway that wasn't as good as one elsewhere)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 14
Grimal
September 24, 2017, 8:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from barralad

Thanks for the report. Must be the latest ever Just Back thread. Interesting to hear that there was an improvement second half

Would have been even later Barra, we were going to stay over until Tuesday and have a couple of days on the Gower but due to a family Illness we decided to return today.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 14
Grimal
September 24, 2017, 8:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
The 'he' in your story is Hurst.

I was wondering if he was hoping Slade would be interested in bringing him back to Town, perhaps his agent contacted Slade and he said he didn't want him . I'm not to sure that Hurst didn't want to keep him . All water under the bridge now.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 14
barralad
September 24, 2017, 11:28pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,194
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from Grimal

Would have been even later Barra, we were going to stay over until Tuesday and have a couple of days on the Gower but due to a family Illness we decided to return today.

Sorry to hear that mate. Hope all OK.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 14
Caesar
September 25, 2017, 10:34am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,794
A long and ultimately disappointing weekend.  Should preface this with the statement that Newport are a good side under Mike Flynn and seemed very solid defensively.  That said we didn't half make it easy for them particularly in the first half where but for Mckeown we could of been down by 2 or 3 goals.  All our defending is so last minute, it is all throwing bodies in the way and making last ditch blocks,.  We don't shut teams out or not give them a sniff of a chance.  We allow them loads of chances but just trust we will have enough bodies in the way to deflect them somewhere away from goal.  

After somehow escaping at 0-0 in the 1st half we started the second much better, Summerfield was very good when he came on  and gave us much more of a midfield presence, although to be honest any kind of presence would  of been an improvement.  So having started to play better it was inevitable we would concede, and of course that Podge would score.  Considering our style of defending is so manic in my view it is disappointing we would conceded from a throw in and allow a man we should know enough about t(although I guess Mckeown is the only member of the team to actually of played with him) to be create space for a shot 3 yards out.  

I have not really talked about us in an attacking sense, mainly because there wasn't really one.  I think one shot on target and a couple of headers with no power on them was the extent of it.  It wasn't really the fault  Matt or Jones, they were predominantly left to try and battle for a long ball up front and win headers against 2 centre backs who seemed pretty dominant in the air.  

Generally we were really poor and I find myself very uninspired with our play.  Have to comment on the lack of Town fans who traveled too. 243  is one of the lowest Saturday crowds I can recall for many years.   Seen quite a few people on twitter who normally go to all games not going and the time it took for a just back thread to appear suggests to me there are many on here not going.  

I am not knocking any fan who didn't travel in any way, simply commenting that it is really sad to see, after years where we consistently traveled as well as any fans in the land to take only 50 more to Newport than we did on an evening game last year after being spanked 5-0 is depressing.  Am guessing from what I read and chats with other Town fans that the sense of togetherness and connection at the club is quickly vanishing if not already gone completely.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 14
moosey_club
September 25, 2017, 11:00am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,142
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from Caesar
A long and ultimately disappointing weekend.  Should preface this with the statement that Newport are a good side under Mike Flynn and seemed very solid defensively.  That said we didn't half make it easy for them particularly in the first half where but for Mckeown we could of been down by 2 or 3 goals.  All our defending is so last minute, it is all throwing bodies in the way and making last ditch blocks,.  We don't shut teams out or not give them a sniff of a chance.  We allow them loads of chances but just trust we will have enough bodies in the way to deflect them somewhere away from goal.  

After somehow escaping at 0-0 in the 1st half we started the second much better, Summerfield was very good when he came on  and gave us much more of a midfield presence, although to be honest any kind of presence would  of been an improvement.  So having started to play better it was inevitable we would concede, and of course that Podge would score.  Considering our style of defending is so manic in my view it is disappointing we would conceded from a throw in and allow a man we should know enough about t(although I guess Mckeown is the only member of the team to actually of played with him) to be create space for a shot 3 yards out.  

I have not really talked about us in an attacking sense, mainly because there wasn't really one.  I think one shot on target and a couple of headers with no power on them was the extent of it.  It wasn't really the fault  Matt or Jones, they were predominantly left to try and battle for a long ball up front and win headers against 2 centre backs who seemed pretty dominant in the air.  

Generally we were really poor and I find myself very uninspired with our play.  Have to comment on the lack of Town fans who traveled too. 243  is one of the lowest Saturday crowds I can recall for many years.   Seen quite a few people on twitter who normally go to all games not going and the time it took for a just back thread to appear suggests to me there are many on here not going.  

I am not knocking any fan who didn't travel in any way, simply commenting that it is really sad to see, after years where we consistently traveled as well as any fans in the land to take only 50 more to Newport than we did on an evening game last year after being spanked 5-0 is depressing.  Am guessing from what I read and chats with other Town fans that the sense of togetherness and connection at the club is quickly vanishing if not already gone completely.  

Floating fans have little to inspire them to come back in all reality, the recent no show at Mansfield p1ssed alot of fans off, last home game i know of 3 ST holders who just chose not to go...these are ST holders who have paid up front but are already disappointed with what is on offer.
Newport is a long trek and we have had very little success there so add that to the above then no wonder....tomorrow night will be in the 3500 - 3800 bracket i reckon, mainly home support, token 50-100 Colly fans...and depending on the result not much more in the home end on Saturday either.
The Newport game looked as though we had slipped back into what was happening in the first few games were we defended too deep, readily surrendering two thirds of the pitch to Newport allowing them to build pressure and us scrappily defending for our lives. Midfield was that close to the back four then the defense had little option but to punt the ball out.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 14
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.